Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Man Voyage

10-18-2012

If you wanted to do a test why not make the skin, see how many people buy it, and if it doesn't work out and you want to revert simply refund the RP/IP and call it a day? I thought these were for a year, which I would definitely pay, but for a week? A WEEK? That's ridiculous.

WskiSky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Experiments usually have two groups: the experimental group and the control group. For this to be a decent gauge of interest, I feel like we should see a group of ward skins available for x RP that are permanent, and a group of ward skins that are available for a limited time (week, month). I don't think any results you get from this "rental" ward skin experiment are going to be indicative of player support or rejection.

The outcry might be, though.

Jortalus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Your experiment has good foundations, but this "experiment" is playing with our money. To offer these wards at an RP cost for a temporary rental is literally taking money from us for the purposes of data collection. The concept of ward skins is a great one, but if it is to be nothing but an experiment, remove the RP cost and sell them all for IP. At least with the RP concept out of the way, there is no actual money being sacrificed for the sake of experimenting on the playerbase.

This is the first time I have taken a serious issue with Riot in anything they have done. I have, to date, spent $300 on RP and I don't regret any of it at all. I just don't want to see LoL go the route of offering rental-only content. Ward skins are great and I would most certainly buy one of them if I could be assured of my purchase lasting over time. I may rent one for IP but the one I want (tomb angel) is an RP cost. While it is less than a quarter's worth of RP, it is still my money and if I spend my money I want it to be an investment, not a passing fancy.

I have tons of skins and rune pages that I have purchased with RP, and I still have access to all of them. This includes Snowmerdinger and the Legacy skins I purchased during the sale; I am not opposed to limited purchase windows, but I am opposed to limited duration of said purchases. If my Snowmerdinger was temporary I never would have bought it. I want my limited edition skins/ward skins/etc to build value over time, not last for a certain length and then disappear. I purchased Snowmerdinger because I knew he would be unavailable for purchase in the future, but still available for use.

RP is for long-term investments. Yes, RP can pay for boosts, but even boosts have a per-win basis. Making these ward skins last for only one week per purchase (starting from when the purchase is made) really cuts into the value. A limited purchase window stacked on top of a limited duration means that this entire concept has a shelf life of only a few weeks. After those few weeks (even if it is 52 weeks) the money spent and IP invested will count for nothing. Nobody wants content that they can't control in any way. While we only technically "rent" skins until we're banned or Riot sees fit to shut down their servers, it is at least with the assurance that we will have them for as long as we deserve them.

I know your post said that we shouldn't rant about rentals, but I really want to establish that, as a heavy investor who has never seen reason to complain before, I will NOT approve of rental content if there is no permanent option alongside it. Rentals are fine; rental-ONLY is not.

AppleDough

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cross View Post
I get where you're going with this, but if that's the case. The payment for these temporary wards skins is a littler outrageous. 800 RP for a ward skin that lasts only a week? That's almost the price of a regular permanent skin with new particle effects.

• Deadfall Ward 200 IP
  • Haunting Ward 800 IP
  • Tomb Angel Ward 25 RP
  • Widow Ward 75 RP
  • Bat-O-Lantern Ward 165

Those are the current prices you are listing for the ward skins, the only one that I would consider reasonable for a week long skin is the Tomb Angel Ward skin at 25 RP, anything over 100 is unreasonable, and is going to backfire because no one wants to pay that much RP for a skin they can only have for a week. You're essentially sabotaging this new merchandise from the get-go.

It would also be a good idea to tell your customers at the beginning that this is an attempt to test out the viability of a new product.

To most people, especially those who don't read the forums, this is going to look like a quick cash grab from Riot which will alienate some of your customers.
So if they were permanent, these prices would be reasonable, right?

Pen is Hungry

10-18-2012

You don't need a test market, there are tons of people already willing to spend $10 on wards skins.

From a business perspective, you are offering something fantastic, that is temporary. You have to pay money for things that you can only borrow for a week. It would be like if we went to a nice clothing store and paid them $10 to rent a shirt for 3 days.

Its stupid.

Best Reimu NA

10-18-2012

Riot: WHAT THE **** IS PBE???????????????????????????????????????????

VoltNinjA

Senior Recruiter

10-18-2012

Riot pls change it now before its too late ._.

Boomerang69

10-18-2012

Permanent Buy feature pls
ps
Thanks for making more unique customizations for us summoners!

Tetroneaque

10-18-2012

Renting is a complete rip off no matter what the content is.

If you truly want to test them out, then make them free samples for the event with the option to buy them permanently near the end of the event for those that like having them.

Surgo

10-18-2012

How can you get non-biased "are people using it" data if people avoid purchasing it due to its temporary nature?