Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mich567

10-18-2012

So... I'm guessing almost nobody is gonna buy these?

Alenos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

such an awesome idea implemented so bad...

Izzabelle

10-18-2012

Hippalus, I hope you can respond to me:

After reading this over, I can see why people are a little upset. And I understand Riot's position on testing a potential market. But hasn't a happy medium been overlooked?

1. I believe if you're paying money for a ward skin, it should be permanent -- that is to say, those who buy ward skins with RP/real money should be able to keep them. They should probably be a little more expensive though (of course, less than champion costs).

2. Themed wards should ALWAYS be temporary, but should ALWAYS come back in cycle for the holiday. Example: Halloween wards should always be available for Halloween, but not available for say Valentine's Day (lol). And they should always cost IP.

3. Buying ward skins with IP should only grant temporary access (as it is now).

4. In this particular set of ward skins you're experimenting with, two seem appropriate to "keep around" year round. Those being "Tomb Angel Ward" and "Widow Ward". Possibly "Deadfall Ward" too.

This way, you get the best of both worlds -- and nothing is overly compromised from either end.

Oriannna Grande

10-18-2012

wow **** riot this is ****

crzymdscntst

10-18-2012

Okay, I understand the whole "rental" idea in terms of marketing. However, people who spend real money on a game like this and just have it expire and so quickly...

Well compared to content they already have purchased, it's a ripoff.

It would be much more suitable to have a full-time purchase option. I can see an IP cost being a "rental" option, whereas a higher RP cost being a full time purchase option if not a longer period than a week.

Renting a desk ornament is one of the dumbest ideas ever.

However, assuming they're fixed in the future, how does one choose between them as well is an obvious question I think? Buying multiple and then having one expire because you wanted to try another is just silly.

EDIT: Though if Achievements are ever implemented, rental wards as rewards for meeting an achievement seems like the way to go, so long as other Achievements have better rewards or different rewards. Like a skin here and there, a few RP, a bonus IP reward... etc. (Pentakill in a game = say 10 RP, 10 Pentakills = 50 RP... etc... something difficult for the higher-end rewards.)

EDIT 2: As to the "Desk Ornament" comment, you buy a ward skin, the enemies will never see it without vision. It lasts X minutes each ward. It's rarely observed in depth, it's not something your camera follows. It's a cool little shiny thing, but has no purpose. The provided vision is as per a normal ward. You gain nothing but what is essentially a desk ornament.

17th Shard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Well I think the rain of downvotes speaks for itself.
We like ward skins, we don't like our stuff vanishing in a week. >_>

goldzioch

10-18-2012

i hope you lose a lot of players riot
so you actually will care about the players more not only about money

Marianolink

10-18-2012

i vote for buy them permanently with ip!

Tires

10-18-2012

You should be able to spend ~30-50 times the cost to get a permanent one. That's what I was expecting was like 6300 IP for the select few that are IP based then about 1000RP on the others. Personally I'd spend like ~1380RP for permanent ones (10 dollars worth).

Though I understand the reasoning behind it, wanting to be able to sell something that is a consumable is a good idea, but I think making them limited time only (seasonal/holiday) and making them cost a good amount is a better idea.

I know I personally won't be spending more one of each of the RP ones and just buy a bunch of the IP ones.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzabelle View Post
1. I believe if you're paying money for a ward skin, it should be permanent -- that is to say, those who buy ward skins with RP/real money should be able to keep them. They should probably be a little more expensive though (of course, less than champion costs).
I actually don't 100% agree with them costing less than a champ. I mean if in 2 years you have one of these ward skins and they havne't been available it would be really cool. So I personally find the 10 dollar range to be more the correct amount. Maybe 10 dollars for 2 (so you have both Sight and Vision wards) but still I doubt its hard to produces these so the profit margin is still high and if they make new ones every season it should still produce money.

Edit #2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
This is a nice idea but you should allow them to only be active between Oct 1 - Nov 13 then but allow us to use them next season. Also I think it would have been smarter to implement full time ward skins first and having these be cheap season rentals.

Leonaa

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzabelle View Post
Hippalus, I hope you can respond to me:

After reading this over, I can see why people are a little upset. And I understand Riot's position on testing a potential market. But hasn't a happy medium been overlooked?

2. Themed wards should ALWAYS be temporary, but should ALWAYS come back in cycle for the holiday. Example: Halloween wards should always be available for Halloween, but not available for say Valentine's Day (lol). And they should always cost IP.

3. Buying ward skins with IP should only grant temporary access (as it is now).

4. In this particular set of ward skins you're experimenting with, two seem appropriate to "keep around" year round. Those being "Tomb Angel Ward" and "Widow Ward". Possibly "Deadfall Ward" too.

This way, you get the best of both worlds -- and nothing is overly compromised from either end.
That's much more reasonable than what everyone else is shouting about. I have no issue at all spending a bit of IP for a ward skin for a week to celebrate Halloween. Other than that, I'd rather wait for the real, year round, ward skins they will likely eventually implement. Maybe the others could be made permanent, but they're pretty cheap for being intended for a very short period. If you pick up enough for a nice skin, you'll likely have enough left over for a random little ward skin too. Your really not intended to be buying months of these at a time. If you really want a permanent one, they'll probably release those later. And Demacia, Noxus, etc themed wards would be pretty epic. Its a sale intended to test the waters, not become angry money hording machines like everyone is so quick to infer. Riot's made pretty clear before they care about their players, first and foremost. Give them a chance, instead of jumping down their throats.