Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swirl My Nipples

10-18-2012

I was real excited to hear ward skins. Now that I see it's temporary... sigh. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.

iCastFiraga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

It's a shame. This was a really fun idea that is ruined by the temporary and pricy nature of this content. It's one thing how you guys justify your overpriced skins by talking about all the hard work done for each individual animation and etc, but you can't even make that argument with wards. People could whip up new ward skins of this quality in no time flat. Especially with some practice. Also your argument, like others have said, that you only intended for these to be temporary, is hugely flawed. You allow up to 1 year's purchase of these wards so you definitely aren't test running these as you claim. I love the concept, and I was all on board to buy them, but Riot's terrible pricing is why I haven't bought RP in almost a year now. It is so impossible to enjoy any new content in this game with the rate at which I can visibly see it burning a hole in my wallet. On the other hand, unless that's some cruel typo, the fact that you made any available with IP is great. But that was an unnecessary compromise. Ward skins would be fine as exclusive RP items, if they were reasonably priced. Sad.

Tempus Hustle

10-18-2012

I was really excited for this. I thought "cool, skins for more stuff!"

Saw the fact that they're temporary

Instant hate.

WaTeR aBuSeR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

I would like to suggest allowing an IP version that is temporary and and RP version that is permenant. Also, to not allow these to interfere with other seasons disable the skins during those events to allow the use of the others ones. Another way would be to allow us to rent them the month or months of the holidays for each type so it will add the flavor people want and make it more special to play during your favorite season. Plan ahead so we don't end up finding out the promotions a week or two before the holiday.

RunecasterAris

10-18-2012

I think I'm going to agree with what seems to be the majority here and say that I am really disappointed with this being only a temp deal. Limited to purchase for this month? Sure! Kind of the nature of Harrowing limited releases like any other holiday release, but even though I can only purchase them between X and Y, I can use them all year round. I love my Haunting Nocturne so much, I do use him all year and I would gladly do the same with these ward skins. But being only temporary, I feel like this is a waste of my money. If I'm going to put down my hard earned money on a digital product, I don't want it to up and vanish on me. While I love to purchase your limited edition skins and boosts, I just can't get behind something I know won't be there after a while.

Gaiaside

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.

Why wouldn't we want to keep a limited edition skin all year round?

Why would we want to buy "regular" ward skins permanently, but not want to keep ones that you could only get if you were part of a limited time event?

Who was behind this decision? Because they really don't seem to understand their consumers....

Let me put it this way. All the down votes that are going on here are the player's way of saying, "This is a bad idea. We'd be willing to give you money if you just changed one small policy. You'd make a killing, but you aren't listening to us, so we're going to not buy this product."

So if people don't buy the product, then are you going to make any more skins for wards? Probably, because you have a decently sized operation, and can afford to pay an art team to produce whatever you want in the hopes that some people will go for it. But you'd be making so much more, and get such a larger, more positive feedback from your loyal fans and supporters, if you just changed this.

Think about it. You still have some time to think it over....

Heck, I'm sure people would be willing to spend a little bit more if they could keep them permanently.

But if you don't want my money, then I'll use it for bills.

CaptainCupcake

10-18-2012

Wtf? Just make them permanent - why would I want to pay for that lol

arfunzals

10-18-2012

Yeah, making them not permanent is a really bad idea, especially if 3 of them cost real money. Riot, here's a serious idea: keep ward skins a part of the game, and start introducing more ward skins not just limited to seasons and events. And make the ones we buy permanent. I think it'd be a really nice new form of customization other than champion skins. Some ideas for normal non-season ward skins could be eye wards (a floating eye that looks around, or maybe follows enemy or friendly champions walking around it), or a futuristic hologram ward, kinda like the dance projector in ezreal's pulsefire skin.

SuperCostaBro

10-18-2012

I WANT TEEMO WARD SKINS!!!!

*places ward* "I'll scout ahead!" *dies*

Joe Dolca

10-18-2012

58 pages of people that don't like the temporary nature of the skins.

That's telling you something Riot, listen.