Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rhykes

10-18-2012

Quote:
Here’s how they work. When you purchase a specific ward skin from the Wards tab of the League of Legends Store, it gets added to your inventory for one week.
This is the first link in a chain of bad ideas.

No thanks. I'm not going to waste currency on a VERY temporary skin, for an item that you don't actually look at after the first 2 seconds of it being placed.

Permanent? Sure, if the prices were reasonable. Temporary? Yeah, no thanks.

Seasonal items should be unique to that season, much like I (believe?) the old holiday skins are. You release them once, people around at that time buy them and can use them forever - but those same things aren't going to be released again. Collector's items tend to get better positive feedback, and better sales.

Tenchu

10-18-2012

Riot, I really hope that it is apparent that if you ignore people who are giving you negative-CONSTRUCTIVE feedback that you are mostly just going to frustrate the player base.

Here is my observation, Nexon sells TEMPORARY cosmetic items. This is a ****ty, douchy marketing strategy. Temporary cosmetic items are for the most part just another way for a market department to suck money out of you. The only difference is that they offer temporary content alongside the permanent content.

My assertion concerning the wards is that if a player wants to skin their wards and they like the appearance of a specific ward why can't they keep that one. Personally. Regardless of Season I would use the Tomb Angel ward year round, because I enjoy dark content even if it means crashing your "Christmas" and I'm sure you could come up with a ward-skin for the December Holidays that I might enjoy using, but temporary access to such things is largely uninteresting and I will not be participating because I do not support such strategies.

I hope in the future that if you are going to design and add skin wards as a primary concept to have available to players that you will make them permanent, because I really like that Tomb Angel skin, but if I'm only going to have it for a week where I get to play a limited number of matches it doesn't really seem worth it.

Gonzodamus

10-18-2012

First off, these are really cool and as someone who plays a lot of support and jungle, I would absolutely love ward skins!

But.

I know you cats are testing this out and all, but I want them year round. Hey, I don't want to see bat-o-lanterns all over the place either, but the Deadfall and Tomb Angel would look sweet 365 days a year. I get where you're coming from, but finding out that these are temporary really put a damper on things. I was crazy excited and then bam - deflated.

But, the Tomb Angel is my favorite, it's cheap, it doesn't look too Halloweeny and you can buy a crapload of these at once. I'll probably spend the 1,300 and get a year's worth, but I really wish they would just be on my account permanently at that point.

DoS Trojan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Only one week...

Skoth

Recruiter

10-18-2012

If you're worried about the wards being unseasonal later, why not just allow people to permanently buy them, but only have them be usable for the season? When the next Halloween rolls around, people will be able to use their Halloween wards again. Maybe even make a bundle that players can buy to always have seasonal wards. Tombstones, etc. for Halloween; Christmas trees, menorahs, etc. for the winter holidays; shamrocks, pots of gold, etc. for St. Patty's; I dunno, trees for Earth day(?); all for one price.

Ace Ablayze

10-18-2012

1. Buy ward skins.
2. Happiness all around!
3. ???
4. Find out they're on a limited time for 7 days; AFTER YOU BOUGHT THEM
5. *($&#*^@()()!(@#!~!_??!!1
6. NO PROFIT.

Please Riot, listen to your #1 customers and get rid of this silly idea of "renting" skin wards. Cause while you're at it, you may as well start renting those damn holiday special champion skins.

Loki421

10-18-2012

Scam Artists.

Today you have lost my respect Riot.

BardsmanGob

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
The weeks stack for each type of ward skin. So if you buy two weeks of Deadfall wards on October 24, it will cost 400 IP and last you through November 7.
But if I buy 26 of the deadfall and 26 of the ghost one then they'll both end at the same time instead of me getting to use one for 26 weeks and then the other for the following 26 weeks or alternate between each week for the next year? I feel like these need to have an activation thing so you can warehouse them, but they aren't "used" until you click on it and activate it.
That is stupid.

Edit: Also does this just affect the wards that I place or does it affect it to where I will see nothing but deadfall ones while someone else who got the bat-o-lantern one will only see those?

BlueWallpaper

10-18-2012

would happily pay 975 RP for the bat and ghost wards. no way i'm buying temporary ward skins though. riot, please give us the option to purchase....

V0d00K1ng

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-18-2012

Can Riot give us a preview video of what the ingame skin wards special effects, animation or sounds? I like to see what they do before buying them, especially the rp ones.