Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ward Skins Coming Soon

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axzarious

10-18-2012

I was hyped (especialy about the deadfall ward) and then I found out that they were temporary. 200 RP for a ward that only unlocks for one week? Theres even one that costs 800? Hell, even 75 is pushing it.

Also, the reasoning of 'We don't want halloween or seasonal wards popping up all year round" is pretty piss poor seeing as you also don't have such restrictions on seasonal champion skins - which can be used year round... Or are you planning on restricting those now too?

Arrevax

10-18-2012

I was excited about having awesome skins for my wards PERMANENTLY, like the Halloween skins.
Then Riot accidentally everything.

Alive in Christ

10-18-2012

Hi Riot, I like you guys. I think this is a good idea. I will likely buy a couple of these.

No hate!

Also, people actually expected the seasonal wards to last forever?!

Vacko

10-18-2012

I honestly did not go through the many pages of the same thing and someone may have already stated this but, why not offer them free during the holiday time (or a few days/week before the holiday to give everyone a chance to see if they like them) allow purchases with IP or RP to keep them forever and use them anytime? This could allow everyone in the community to try them instead of burning RP/IP on a skin they may regret buying and will expire anyway. Then you'd get an understanding of who would want them when the people who enjoyed/appreciated them, buy them to keep.

Maerzay

10-18-2012

I know this is suppose to be an experiment, but I think that considering these are only available for a short time, they should be permanent. You didn't take away all the other special occasion skins. I'm assuming you were planning on releasing other ward skins not related to the Harrowing. THOSE should be temporary for your experiment.

Arrevax

10-18-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.

No offense, but isn't it obvious that we want permanent ward skins? I haven't seen this manly downvotes since you changed Dark Valkyrie Diana into a demented clown.

Endalaus

10-18-2012

I'd spend 975 RP on both the widow ward and tomb angel ward to have them permanently.

Gaiaside

10-18-2012

Quote:
Tahroo:

Edit: Temporary?! dafuq... you just lost yourself money on that idea.

^

This. That right there. I would totally get them if they were permanent.

Here's the thing. I can barely justify purchasing virtual content with real money. It's really hard to do. It means that if I stop playing, I don't get use out of my investments. But because I like Riot Games, and I want to support and promote their product, I buy a skin if it's for a champion I particularly enjoy to play, or if they did an outstanding job. For instance, I'm definitely going to buy the Zombie Brand skin because it's really cool, and I play AP mid a lot. So having a cool skin for a champ that I don't play too often may make me want to play him more.

But that's the only way I can justify buying anything from the League Store is knowing that it supports Riot, and that I get content that was worth the money. Getting a temporary IP boost is a good way to get rid of some RP. Offering skins, (even if they are ward skins), is not something I want to be temporary. Limited addition skins are cool. (Though it sucks when we miss out, or don't have the cash for them when they're available). But these are skins for wards.... Which can be destroyed. So it's not like it's really something I want to go out and collect immediately. If it was something that was permanent, I could completely justify picking one up, and saying "Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I'll make it Halloween everyday." Or "Easter Egg wards? Pfft. Check out my tombstone!" But the way it's set up now, I'd have to buy a year's worth of it, (not gonna happen when I'm about to get some skins), or I gotta pre-plan to use them only on other events.

Really. Why make something temporary when it costs RP? I understand IP boosts shouldn't be a permanent thing, but... this just blows.

ElTioTazza

10-18-2012

all the games that have "rental" items are a piece of S H 1 T and now riot is going to try this, let me see how about if we can rent champions too? "hey i want to play this week with this 6300 champ so i will pay 630RP and i will have it, cool.

F U C K, **** you!

AmethystRain

10-18-2012

I main support, and I really like the idea of ward skins seeing as I buy about 50 wards a game, it's nice to see something different.

Like everyone else has said, the prices are a bit steep for a week's worth of rental, and I don't even mind paying that seeing it's limited edition. My biggest gripe with all of this is the fact that it will only remain in inventory a week after purchase. This limits players to choose only one skin and stick with it if they want "a year's worth of inventory." Players won't be able to use one skin one week and another skin another week unless they buy it a week later or buy multiple weeks of each skin and let some of it go to waste.

I think if you guys made the change that it will last a week from when it was activated, I'd be more willing to pay for it.