Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xKillerbees

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

I refuse to spend anything on something that will be temp. Terrible idea, it's why I refuse to play APB.

YogaCatastrophe

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodesploder View Post
Having these be rentals is a bad idea, but I understand (to a point) Riot's position of not wanting them to be used outside of the holiday season.
You're misunderstanding the situation. This makes more money for Riot. That's why they're doing it.

Squeezoid

10-18-2012

yes Temporary because having a dead tree, a spider and a tomb stone in the river in front of a dragon, a dead signal and a big worm that pukes green ****, or TT with the new remake and the grey dark things is seasonal....we dont want to look like we are in halloween all year.... rly riot?--- excuses fail...

Azrethe

10-18-2012

Why would I spend potential money for unlocking a champion thats permanent for a ward thats invisible to half the players and lasts only a week???

InSpades

10-18-2012

1 week? That makes me sad ...

Angelique

10-18-2012

Love the designs, very disappointed in the temporary feature, wish at least some of them would have a permanent version/option...I'd pay full skin price for 1 permanent ward skin.
Think of them like a temporarily available champion skin, buy now, keep forever...

Ensign Epic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

petition to have hippalus fired

Kizuna

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
Secondly...the way this experiment has been handled and is being released is creating an incredible bias.

Against the idea, ironically.

The execution is terrible - I don't think you need an experiment to see if this is a feature players would take advantage of.

I can't think of a single player who would be like

"WHAT, RIOT HAS SKINS FOR WARDS? THAT IS LUDICROUS, AN ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS COSMETIC"

Pretty sure it's more like

"Whoa, you can get skins for wards? Cool."

So really, the more effort you put into pleasing the player base and striking a balance between IP and RP skins (Hint: Rentals don't please most people in online games, roots in the big no-no of "pay for power") the more output you're going to get.

While I suppose this concept can be okay for those players who are sitting on 30k plus IP for no reason, I don't find this to be a really valuable way to give them something meaningful to burn it on.

I'm fairly confident if you ask anyone with tons of IP (Or RP lol) floating around, they're going to be extremely sketched out if you ask them if they'd drop those points on temporary things or just wait for more permanent things to get.

Sim Sou Eu

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
People will not like it because of your "temporary rental system" aproach...people are willing to pay the same as a champion skin for this and you blow it.

I'm sorry but I expected Riot was not so much about the money and more about the community.

What's the point of even buying an expensive year of a ward skin (something that almost doesn't change anything in the game) if we lose it anyways after that year? I guess a small ward model and texture doesn't require that much work to justify these prices.

I don't like rental systems and never will. I'm sure that a great percentage of the community thinks this way.

HunterLuvz

10-18-2012

Dangit I really wanted some ward skins...but then the rental thing is said and just no. D: Just make them permanent and I'll buy most, if not all of them.