Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Desocupado

10-18-2012

Time-limited cosmetic upgrade isn't worth money/grind to mostly no-one (check all downvotes).

It should have a "cheap" price for experimentation (1 day duration around 200-800 IP) , and something like 10x the current for permanent upgrade. One could use the player tab to choose their ward.

PurePowah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Terrible idea, and whoever's idea it was is literally insane.

Draecor

10-18-2012

Just think about this one more time

Yarumasi

10-18-2012

This may we the worst thing you've ever released. Why not make permanent versions for 12600 IP? 975 RP? More? Come on

Xenbatsu

10-18-2012

I understand that this is an experiment to see if the community responds well to ward skins, but I dont think it is an efficient one because most people who WOULD normally buy these ward skins arent BECAUSE they are temporary. I love the ward skin idea and hope it grows so that permanent ones are released though. Good luck

NordicBeserkr

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Nice idea, but no, they behave exactly the same as regular wards.

His response to someone asking if the new ward skins will make them worth more...

We have a new "The Beard" here guys.

Jortalus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

I am fine with rentals. I really am. However, I am only fine with rentals when there is also a permanent option. If we could rent champ skins for something like 100-150 RP per week, I would like that. That, of course, is assuming that we can still permanently unlock them for 975 RP as we can now.

Rentals are fine when there is a permanent option. No permanent option means rentals feel terrible. Once you rent something and you like it, you're essentially hooked into spending tons of extra IP or RP on something simply because you're attached. It's probably great for the bottom line, but it's a terrible feeling for the players.

Avisole

10-18-2012

Quote:
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
Hopefully you don't base your decision on permanent ward skins on sales of these skins. People won't buy these because they are temporary, not because they don't like them.

NebulaRed

10-18-2012

So let me get this straight, the pumpkin ward costs 165 rp each, if someone wanted it for the full time you'd allow they'd have to spend 8580 rp - so ~60$ for something that isn't really permanent...

Flikery

10-18-2012

Quote:
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
Hopefully the rental aspect will be super clear in the client, or you can probably expect a lot of unhappy folks. Clarity here is important.

It would also be hard to project sales of a temporary good to what sales of a permanent good would look like, unless you make some big assumptions in your behavioral model. It is practically apples to oranges. I will tell you now, I would be someone interested in permanent wards, but will not consider temporary ones.

As an alternative, if you wanted to have only theme based ward skins all year but not fully commit, you could have people purchase a season long or year long "ward skin pass" or something, where they would buy the privilege of using whatever ward skins were available.

Then again, you have all the data, and I do not. Love the changes in general. Keep pushing the boundaries!