Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

10-18-2012
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrian View Post
I think i know what you mean by the post, but it's not what was said. Some clarification would be cool. The post indicated when purchased, the ward skins only last for a week in yoru inventory....So if i purchase 52 of them, it wouldn't really matter as they only last for a week. Ie- all 52 are gone a week after purchase. Did you, perhaps, mean that upon activation they last for a week?
The weeks stack for each type of ward skin. So if you buy two weeks of Deadfall wards on October 24, it will cost 400 IP and last you through November 7.

Professor Rihawf

10-18-2012

How things will roll
Low sales => They will think we don't like ward skins and no more wards around.
Reason of low sales => Temporary
If you made some kind of poll (permanent ones would be chosen, probably) that would help.
Now we are not sure if you guys are going to develop permanent wards in time to buy these current ones.
If the beginner players are a problem, give on some notifications in-game to talk about wards, even a tutorial. (That would also teach players and the nature of different wards)

Sure you don't want ghosts and trees as wards all year round. So that means you don't enjoy my Festive Maokai? =)
The idea is really awesome, I won't disregard. Credit to the people who designed and have done that. The problem is that really awesome work is temporary.

KK Slidah

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
I would totally but some permanent ward skins, but no way am I buying into the scam that is rental content. How can you judge how well permanent ward skins would do based on the sale of temporary ones?

DarkestPhoenix

10-18-2012

Welp, you guys had my money until "for one week". Then I just laughed and posted this. Good try, though.

Baron Bodacious

10-18-2012

Quote:
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
Well if you go on the forums we quite obviously want wards skins. The idea has been floating around for a while.
And doesn't the "We don't want Halloween stuff around during other parts of the year" argument kinda suck when we have tons of holiday themed champ skins?

FrankyCentaur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Also, what about buying them for IP? Where's the announcement about that like it previously posted?

G4MESDEAN

10-18-2012

Quote:
but you have seen the reaction from the player base so much exitment over them so much hype but when they found that they would be only temp so many downvoates

TheEnygma

10-18-2012

I can just imagine someone filling out a support ticket

"yeah, I want my points back. I kept warding but team with oracles kept killing em all and barely got to see em all week"

xGameReaperx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

There are still Halloween skins after Halloween running around. your statement about you not wanting Halloween wards popping up around the map does not explain why there is a permanently disguised blitzcrank running around, or a lollipop carrying poppy wacking me. Why would you not make those skins temporary when you are making the ward skins temporary?

Lord Poet

10-18-2012

I will join in the chorus of players who are disappointed at the temporary nature of these ward skins. People generally do not like the idea of paying real money for what they perceive as a temporary perk or "rental" and I can't imagine this decision will be that great with PR or lead to larger sales.

At least have the option to unlock these skins on a permanent basis for a greater amount of RP. If you are concerned about people spamming ghoulish, ghostly wards in too many games year round maybe have the permanent wards limited in nuber of usage per day (i.e. for X RP you unlock a ward skin forever, but you can only use it in one game per day; for Y RP you unlock the same skin forever but you can use it in two games per day, etc...). Do that, and my guess is many of the people expressing their disappointment here will instead happily go out and buy the skins.

Just my two cents.