Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Retsopmi

10-18-2012

And it is official. Riot is now a full blown Chinese cash shop game.

Lluluien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

I have to add one more voice to the cacophony chorus of those complaining that these are temporary. This really feels like a bad money grab. I don't see why ward skins can't be a permanent addition to the game like champion skins, and I also don't see why the holiday ones can't be limited time permanent skins like the champion ones.

If the goal is to charge RP for them to make money, or charge IP for them so it isn't used on other things (champions) that cost money, I think this would be more successful if the skins were permanent. You can already see how the playerbase is reacting to spending resources on a temporary skin.

If the problem really is that you just don't want Harrowing-themed items on the map at Christmas time, isn't the solution to release a bunch more ward skins so people have other options to use? The only reason the Harrowing ones would be so wide-spread if they were permanent is simply because it's a new feature that's novel to everyone.

I really think Riot has missed the boat on this one.

Xenîth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
My 2 cents?
I'd spend RP if it was permanent. I ain't wasting anything that's temporary.

NoJo2211

10-18-2012

One of your dumbest ideas yet Riot. Temporary skins??? Please don't become rip-off scumbags.

IAMACOMMUNIST

10-18-2012

What a terrible way to do this. Wow...

Honestly, I hope this is boycotted. The community needs to let Riot know this is not how you do things.

Tdragon56

10-18-2012

I for one, would gladly pay 975rp for a permanent ward skin. But this.... limited time. Really? You had something really new and unique and with two words you ruined the whole idea and most likely stopped a lot of people from enjoying the wards.

Maleficant

10-18-2012

Quote:
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
It's obvious people like the concept of ward skins.

What people don't like is the concept of rentals.

It's a pretty simple experiment.

Flana Scarlet

10-18-2012

Quote:
It always lasts 7 days from when you buy it, and our expectation is that most people will buy a week before Halloween and use the ward skins through the holiday.
That doesn't really answer the question though. If they only last 7 days from when you buy it, then how are we supposed to stockpile these? Are they just going to disappear if we have them saved up?

IrrationalNoob

10-18-2012

Every red post in this thread deserves downvotes. Banish temporary purchases.!

Keltai

10-18-2012

Perm for more money...pls.