Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JoeDerp

10-18-2012

Perhaps make it so that they're unlocked permanently, but can only be used during their holiday?
The Bat-O-Lantern would have been an insta-buy for me, but not when it's a consumable.

IonDragonX

10-18-2012

Ward Skins = GOOD

Temporary skins of any kind that cost RP or 100s of IP = VERY BAD!!

Make them permanent purchases or all cheap IP (think 10 to 50 IP)

Maddigan

10-18-2012

I've spent more money on LoL than any 3 games combined, including the ones with monthly subscription costs. I do this to reward the company for incredibly fun gameplay and awesome art. It's a fantastic product, and a great business model.

But the company will have taken a catastrophically wrong turn if it goes forward with rental content, just in the loss of goodwill alone. Imagine the uproar a week after it's released, from the hundreds of thousands of people who didn't read or understand the full description.

Seriously, Riot: use your big brains, think it through, spank whoever greenlighted this, and come up with a plan that will both enhance the experience for your paying customers and entice more non-paying customers to give you money.

If you don't want bats, jack-o'-lanterns and ghosts in the arena next to candy canes, then (for example) make them permanent but only seasonally enabled. Or enable them year-round and tie them to specific champions; or have them as add-ons to specific champion skins. Then step back and profit.

Evara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Just. No.

Is Unavailable

10-18-2012

I was thinking that maybe if you bought the ward skins with RP, they would be permanent, and then IP was temporary. Just seems like a waste of money if you spend money on something just to look different for a week. I would rather not risk yelling at myself for needing that 25 RP next time I want the next skin that comes out. It's just an idea, and the only way I'm planning on getting a ward skin, at least with RP.

Spectre06

10-18-2012

At first when I saw the pictures and the low prices, I thought "holy ****, Riot actually made something that's both super cool and affordable. Then I saw the downvotes. Then I actually read the whole post. Temporary skins for RP?

riottrollface.jpg

Dreggon

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
It always lasts 7 days from when you buy it, and our expectation is that most people will buy a week before Halloween and use the ward skins through the holiday.
My expectation is that nobody is going to buy something so blatantly transitory. What, really, do you lose by letting people buy and keep these skins?

Dreampod

10-18-2012

It would be MUCH MUCH MUCH better if you could purchase these and then activate them at a future point for access to that skin for 1 week. Having them automatically use and expire is a MASSIVE disincentive to buy multiples since they are going to get wasted.

I might have bought all 5 to play with and gotten a bit over a month worth of fun out of them if they were simultaneously draining. I will not be buying more than 1 because they are and unfortunately for you the one I like most is the deadfall so you won't even get cash for it.

Dreampod

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreggon View Post
My expectation is that nobody is going to buy something so blatantly transitory. What, really, do you lose by letting people buy and keep these skins?
If they are sold for IP as an additional IP sink then I have absolutely no problem with them being temporary since you can just earn some more IP and lots of players have thousands of IP sitting around their accounts. Temporary RP purchases are BS, personally I think even the boosts are ridiculous but at least you keep the extra experience or IP you earn after the time wears out.

Splitcart

10-18-2012

Awesome idea, bad execution. Hippalus, if you take anything from this thread, let it be that rental content is a bad direction to go, or at least if you DO do rental, also have a permanent buy option (for an exorbitant amount over the rental price).

I was totally expecting to come in and see ward skins for 3150/6300 IP, and I totally would have bought all of them, and I'd have considered the ones for RP too, up to say ~975 if they were especially cool (I'm a bit more stingy with real life money). But as a rental...I'll probably just buy the 200 ip one once, if that, and then not spend anymore.