Ward Skins Coming Soon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PlayPraylol

10-18-2012

Hippalus, i don't understand one thing - why Sight Wards is worth less than Vision Wards?
You will buy mostly SW in 99% of games. So you will see your SW more often, so whole year pack of skin-for-wards look good. But VW with price 3x/4x more than SW don't look like a worth-a-buy deal.
Well, maybe only at one-two weeks.

Tigersight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Only temporary? Not buying.

Sourisky

10-18-2012

Same as everyone else : I would have bought them, even with RP, if they were permanent. I'd be fine with paying 500 RP to have the ward skins last forever, but paying hundreds or IP for just a week seems rather harsh.
We should be able to have our festivities all-year round! It's what makes League of Legends so fun, being able to collect all the different content, and show it off!

Chungsak

10-18-2012

nice... i mean the ones that cost ip can last for week, i dont care about that

but those cost rp...hmmmmmm have to think about that.

Garlyle Wilds

10-18-2012

Hippalus, I appreciate what you're trying to do. The idea of ward skins is a neat little customization/personalization thing that I'm glad to see, but I can't support this.

I do NOT want to see League go into the F2P trap of "Temporary & Purely cosmetic" paid content, regardless of if it's a special event or not. Though there are temporary purchase content in League (XP Boosts/IP Boosts), these give tangible, lasting rewards.

I very much doubt you would ever sell a champion skin that vanished completely after some time. Other Harrowing content - any special runes, and all champ skins - aren't going to vanish after the Harrowing's over...

so yeah. Let's... please just not do this.

Leverette

10-18-2012

I have 0 experience in marketing and sales, and even I understand this:

The customer is always right.

What you're doing when you say "We don't want seasonal stuff persisting throughout the year" is suggesting that your input is worth anything. As our good friend Joe Dirt once mentioned: "It's not you, it's the consumer." While you are certainly entitled to make any business decision you darn well please, you are also certainly entitled to an epic fail.

Now, it could very well be that you're just so disgusted with the idea of seasonal skins being used during inappropriate times that you willingly chose to forgo this fundamental law. That's just fine, as it is your freedom to do so, and if that is the case, then no more needs to be said on the issue, as this is ultimately your game.

You said you don't want to make something that turns out to be a failure. Well according to the feedback from the people who deliver your paychecks, (and never forget who those people are) it WILL be a failure if you rent it. Now, you can either take a risk (and believe me, it's not a big risk... ward skins are the greatest idea since sliced bread) and make them permanent, or you can stick to the rental system which already has overwhelming evidence that it will fail.

Certain doom vs unlikely doom. Sounds like a clear choice to me. And remember, I'm no business expert, but I do know what I will and won't spend money on.

Syque

10-18-2012

To have the most expensive ward skin for a year, you'd have to spend

165 * 52 = 8580RP O_O

I'm not the type to buy skins at all but I can see why people are angry about this.. if I wanted to buy temporary things for my games I'd go back to a WoW subscription :s

OwldSnake

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
If players like the concept of ward skins, the longer term plan would likely be to have permanent ward skins year round plus lower cost rentals for the holidays. This is an experiment with a new type of content and it doesn't make sense to offer permanent non-holiday ward skins until we see if players use and enjoy it.
yeah it doesnt make sense to release permanent non holiday stuff

"ok guys time to release more champion skins"

Glebov

10-18-2012

i was going to comment on how awesome the idea is because i have leftover rp...but then i found out its only a week...wtf riot

SugÓrFreeMints

10-18-2012

This is a good example how Sales destroying Creativity

hmm edited : " This is a good example how Greed destroying Creativity"