Earn Sinister Summoner Icons with RP Purchases

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Roalith

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcon View Post
Well said, couldn't of put it any better. These icons are a bonus and nothing more. People are looking at it the wrong way. You buy RP for skins and champs, and as a 'reward', RIOT is giving away free summoner icons.
A percentage of this community has invested into the $1500+ range in this game since it came out (I am over 1600 myself) and to us yes it is buying the icons for $75 because we already have everything we could want from the store. To support the company further, I did get like $100 in RP last month, a portion of that still just sitting on my account unused. Purchased not because I needed a skin, but because Riot obviously was below their ideal profit margin for this quarter otherwise why would they offer double RP for incentive for extra cash shop purchases?

Now, to get these limited edition (collectible imo) icons, I would need to drop yet another $75 on this game, putting me over the $1700.00 mark. If I choose to stand my ground and say enough is enough, I miss out on the icons that I really want because I am a completionist...

You can argue that I will still have the RP sitting on my account for use for future skins etc, but in all honesty I charged all the RP I wanted during the last promotion in advance in anticipation of the Halloween skins, and the sole reason to charge even more RP now would be simply to unlock the icons.

Riot should somehow backlog the event to work in harmony with the last event, or something. I have to have the head gasket replaced on my car next week and it's going to be almost $1k, my money manager (the wife) would never agree to this $75 right now. Coincidentally Guild Wars 2 also has a Halloween event going starting the 22nd, which requires Black Lion chests to be opened to get Halloween skins and then other chapters of the event opening through to November, so I will be giving ArenaNet some extra cash (cash that is tight right now) to get those exclusives as well.

Relding

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam5 View Post
Riot... I'm disappointed at you.

10k riot points for just 5 icons? You were doing good with the remake for twisted treeline, but now you just blew it all up.

Please don't make it happen again. It's just ridiculous to pay that amount for icons.
It's not like they're taking away 10k rp from you and saying "here, take these 5 summoner icons". You still get 10k rp to spend. What's with all the rage over a SUMMONER ICON, something you only ever see at the end of a game or between games. This rage is almost as ridiculous and the ward skins (since people are idiots and don't use wards anyway).

Get a grip people. Seriously. Oh, and you don't actually have to spend 10k to get all 5, just 10k to get the fifth one. So unless you're REALLY set on having that last one, it's not a big deal.

Roalith

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxxon View Post
I am a little disappointed

Please do something that rewards those that have spent money in the past to help bring your great game to its current level as well. Its nice that your giving people icons for different levels of commitment, but how about those that helped along the way?

Most gaming companies offer rewards to long time loyal paying subscribers (such as City of Heroes for example). I would like to see some summoner icons that help to display your level of previous commitment to Riot Games, Thanks!

-G
Agreed, why not offer them to people that have exceeded a certain purchase threshold over the course of their account....Or what I feel would be better overall, offer each icon based on how many of the upcoming Halloween skins you purchase on your account. Those of us that already have a lot of RP at our disposal will likely buy every one of those skins with existing RP, while people that don't have the RP can charge RP and buy all the skins. Each skin purchase could progressively unlock a new icon up the ladder..

Saxxon

10-19-2012

Dunno why people are down voting Roalith. He's not complaining that he wants any of his $1600 back, just that its crummy they do this type of promotion and neglect those who have in the past supported the company. Im with ya Roalith.

Relding

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roalith View Post
A percentage of this community has invested into the $1500+ range in this game since it came out (I am over 1600 myself) and to us yes it is buying the icons for $75 because we already have everything we could want from the store. To support the company further, I did get like $100 in RP last month, a portion of that still just sitting on my account unused. Purchased not because I needed a skin, but because Riot obviously was below their ideal profit margin for this quarter otherwise why would they offer double RP for incentive for extra cash shop purchases?

Now, to get these limited edition (collectible imo) icons, I would need to drop yet another $75 on this game, putting me over the $1700.00 mark. If I choose to stand my ground and say enough is enough, I miss out on the icons that I really want because I am a completionist...

You can argue that I will still have the RP sitting on my account for use for future skins etc, but in all honesty I charged all the RP I wanted during the last promotion in advance in anticipation of the Halloween skins, and the sole reason to charge even more RP now would be simply to unlock the icons.

Riot should somehow backlog the event to work in harmony with the last event, or something. I have to have the head gasket replaced on my car next week and it's going to be almost $1k, my money manager (the wife) would never agree to this $75 right now. Coincidentally Guild Wars 2 also has a Halloween event going starting the 22nd, which requires Black Lion chests to be opened to get Halloween skins and then other chapters of the event opening through to November, so I will be giving ArenaNet some extra cash (cash that is tight right now) to get those exclusives as well.
First of all, if cash is tight and you're still gonna blow it on a game, your wife's right to be in charge of the money.
Secondly, not everyone has spent thousands of dollars on this game or has everything they could want from the store. For (I would guess) the majority of players, the RP they buy will be used to purchase things they want.
Thirdly, it's your own deal if you're a completionist but come on. They're SUMMONER ICONS. It's not the end of the world if you miss out on something that you would spend a very small amount of time looking at/using (unless you like to just sit in the game lobby and look at the icons. Again, if that's you deal it is what it is).

Roalith

10-19-2012

People downvote one of the core members that has heavily invested to give them a FREE game for years, because let's face it, without heavy investers they wouldn't have a game to play. Riot is not going to sit and pay all the server and employee costs out of charity and before this nickel and dime menality started a lot of us were fully willing to invest ~$1k every year to a company that we believed in. Without the income, Riot would not operate their game. Continue to downvote me while I pay your game's operating costs.

I fully expected downvotes when posting my friends' and my opinion on this promotion, it is inherent in this community to rage on anyone with skins or hate on anyone that has invested large amounts of money, have been seeing it for 2+ years now and it will never change.

Relding

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roalith View Post
People downvote one of the core members that has heavily invested to give them a FREE game for years, because let's face it, without heavy investers they wouldn't have a game to play. Riot is not going to sit and pay all the server and employee costs out of charity and before this nickel and dime menality started a lot of us were fully willing to invest ~$1k every year to a company that we believed in. Without the income, Riot would not operate their game. Continue to downvote me while I pay your game's operating costs.

I fully expected downvotes when posting my friends' and my opinion on this promotion, it is inherent in this community to rage on anyone with skins or hate on anyone that has invested large amounts of money, have been seeing it for 2+ years now and it will never change.
If you like the company and want to support them why are you complaining when they offer a bonus for doing so? By the way, I've also spent a fair amount of money on this game (which I do not regret for a second because, like you, I enjoy the company's product and wish to support them) and I think it's great that they have promotional offers going on throughout the year. Maybe money was tighter for some people when the double bonus RP promotion was happening, and now they've got some extra cash that they'll want to spend for this one. Did you ever consider that?

Roalith

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relding View Post
First of all, if cash is tight and you're still gonna blow it on a game, your wife's right to be in charge of the money.
Secondly, not everyone has spent thousands of dollars on this game or has everything they could want from the store. For (I would guess) the majority of players, the RP they buy will be used to purchase things they want.
Thirdly, it's your own deal if you're a completionist but come on. They're SUMMONER ICONS. It's not the end of the world if you miss out on something that you would spend a very small amount of time looking at/using (unless you like to just sit in the game lobby and look at the icons. Again, if that's you deal it is what it is).
It's not that we are poor and have to over-analyze every little expenditure, I was putting it into the perspective for that individual player's argument saying that it is a reward for the RP that you are already going to spend this month and that it had no impact on deciding to purchase the RP.

For some of us, in reality, it literally is purchasing RP only to unlock the icons. Out of my own personal group of friends that I play with regularly, I believe the lowest that any of our group has spent on this game is like $11xx.xx. I hate to be a voice against Riot for this portion of the playerbase and we have a few friends tied into this company which makes us all the happier to support regularly, but this promotion simply leaves a sour taste.

What is to say that this same exact thing could potentially roll out again for Christmas.

Also, you acting judgmental over my comment about cash being tight. You and I may have far different definitions of "tight". For me it means that our household has a considerable amount of money less to spend on things like this for the next month because of a high vet bill and upcoming car repair. I can still swing $50 on both my account and my wife's to ArenaNet for their event (already did actually, they don't have a time-limited window on Gem purchases), but in addition to that most likely will not be spending on even more RP.

My wife doesn't solely have control over our finances but she sure does have some input. It's called mutual respect and you can't have a healthy relationship without it. Implying that she NEEDS to manage our money is pretty hypocritical, if my wife had full control of our money we would never have any at all because we would have 3 storage units full of shoes and purses.

Someone told me via PM that Riot is considering retroactively changing it from RP purchased to RP spent for the event anyway and is about to link me the riot post for confirmation so hopefully it won't even matter soon.

Roalith

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relding View Post
If you like the company and want to support them why are you complaining when they offer a bonus for doing so? By the way, I've also spent a fair amount of money on this game (which I do not regret for a second because, like you, I enjoy the company's product and wish to support them) and I think it's great that they have promotional offers going on throughout the year. Maybe money was tighter for some people when the double bonus RP promotion was happening, and now they've got some extra cash that they'll want to spend for this one. Did you ever consider that?

I have indeed. Why would I try to take away from those that had tight finances last promotion but have the extra now? To me, I am having trouble seeing where you would draw that conclusion from anything that I have typed. I am simply asking for it to be changed to include the last promotion (every single person I play with that charges RP loaded up a minimum of $50-$100 during the double promotion) or to become 10k RP spent during event period instead of 10k RP purchased.

When you really think about it I have averaged a monthly payment around $71 (enough money for 5 WoW or similar simultaneous subscriptions) since I started supporting, and then I saw hey I shouldn't charge any RP this month because I loaded up weeks ago and have a lot more RL expenses going on then the hammer drops on needing a $75 payment within a month time period to unlock limited content. I am not even the biggest supporter in my group of friends either, and don't intent to stop supporting completely anytime soon. >.>

***EDIT*** This is becoming irrelevant as it seems that Riot is listening on this last one, a red posted that they will back up and give the icons for people that spend the appropriate amount of RP during the promotion in addition to the people that charge 10k worth of new rp so thank you very much Riot.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2696669

Gen Mezeral

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

"Ward Skins and Icons
Soon available in the Store for both RP and IP, these ward skins add a bit of atmospheric flair to your battles on the Fields of Justice. Also be on the lookout for details regarding Harrowing-themed skins and intimidating new summoner icons."

Where does IP come into play ?