Earn Sinister Summoner Icons with RP Purchases

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Octozor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Riot, I have no problem with the idea of giving away FREE ICONS to people who buy RP that can be used for anything else, however it would have been nice to let people know a few weeks ahead of when the start date was. This would probably get you more RP because people would
A) not be mad because they just spent RP right before the cutoff date that you didn't tell us about until AFTER that date.
B) Could save up before hand knowing it is coming and spend then.

Think about that before you do something like this next time please. It would make the community less angry.

Johan

10-18-2012

So very annoying that I bought enough RP to last a year back in September during the free RP bonus special. Now we need to buy MORE RP for these icons, regardless of how much we spent in the past/have? I would consider buying more if I had anything left to spend RP on...I have 20 rune pages, all champs, and skins for all my champs...if I bought rp what could I possibly spend it on? This initiative just accentuates how greedy Riot is becoming as a company.

Bulgaricus

10-18-2012

Well this sucks for me I just bought RP two days ago. Yay. How about that, Do i get credit for that?>

AFftw

10-18-2012

Riot craves money

VriskaSpider

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Thanks for the support I am frequently surprised by the hate generated by some of my efforts to bring new content to players in new ways, but I respect their opinions and will continue to learn from it.

Yes, Riot cards count. You just need to redeem the card during the qualifying window.

I am not as familiar with the plans for Team Icons as that was an eSports (as opposed to eCommerce) initiative, but I believe I heard that they will last through the end of season two.
A lot of appreciate all the time and effort you put into these I for one am very happy with this method. Rather then making them easy access this allows people to feel a little more unique.

AxeL021

10-18-2012

wow this sucks... i bought $100 RP on 9/28,,, guess im not getting these

x GUNPLAY

10-18-2012

WTF ABOUT THE FREE BONUS RP SALE YOU HAD NOT THAT LONG AGO.... I BOUGHT 100$ MAN I DESERVE THIS... ... wtf WTF WTF

Pika Fox

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
Do you know what your reward was for supporting Riot? Continued support and development of the game, rather than letting it tank. Oh, and whatever skins, rune pages, etc. it was that you bought with your RP.

Back when you purchased those items with your RP, you must have certainly deemed them worthy of your money at the time of purchase. How come all of a sudden you demand something more than that?

Nobody is entitled to anything that Riot has done for us. This is a fun little cosmetic thing being used as a promotion to get more people to buy RP. And no, you can't criminalize Riot for trying to get people to buy RP, because that's their business model. If people stop buying RP, LoL can no longer continue.
Im almost positive that if i were to sit down and ask Riot if we are entitled to something for lifetime purchases theyd agree. Its just the company that they are.

However, something like that i harder to do than festive rewards, as ive said. Theres no doubt in my mind we'd get something in time for lifetime spendings, because ultimately it helps Riot earn more money and helps us feel appreciated.

Shadily

10-18-2012

Whether or not this was intentional and a very well-played business move on Riot's part. I litterally just bought 2.5K RP for for Championship Riven. Now I am finding out about this..

Is there going to be some form of compensation or lee-way given to players who recently bought RP within the last week or two and would have met these requirements? If not I plan on buying RP around christmas time for myself and a few friends anyway, but I feel there should be some form of this in place.

GenActive13

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeksNaman View Post
[aws2=news/October_2012/2012_10_18_Shadow_Isles_Icons/shadow_isles_summoner_icons_EN.jpg]news/October_2012/2012_10_18_Shadow_Isles_Icons/shadow_isles_summoner_icons_EN_thumb.jpg[/aws2]

As we venture deeper into the mysterious mists of the Shadow Isles, summoner icons are taking on some dreadful new facades. In celebration of the upcoming patch, we’ll be offering some sinister new summoner icons when you purchase RP. There are five icons to collect based on the total RP you purchase between October 1 and November 13. Your new summoner icons will be unleashed after the release of the Shadow Isles patch to haunt your profile forevermore.

Here’s the breakdown:

• Tier 1 (any RP amount): Spiteful Specter
  • Tier 2 (1,000+ RP): Baleful Grasp plus Tier 1
  • Tier 3 (2,500+ RP): Death Mask plus Tiers 1-2
  • Tier 4 (5,000+ RP): Deadfall Treant plus Tiers 1-3
  • Tier 5 (10,000+ RP): Vengeful Wraith plus Tiers 1-4

If you purchase RP and meet a new tier after the patch, it’ll take about ten minutes after your transaction is processed before your new icons are available to use.

So treat yourself to some RP for a wicked Shadow Isles champion or skin, and trick opponents with your freaky new summoner face!
As someone that has bought thousands of RP over the life time of LoL I find this offending. This should include all RP bought from the beginning of LoL to Nov 13. To reward those that doll out cash during a limited time rather then the players that have done so up till this point is a slap in the face. I would think this even worse for the those that rarely buy RP only to have done so slightly before this event only to find they have to doll out more if they want this special treatment.

Riot, you should be rewarding your long standing/paying customers, not alienating them. I have spent a good amount of money for the skins and champions and don't regret a single dime spent. But, I feel that I and others like me are being forced to spend more to earn this treat rather then being thanked for our financial support.
This is, without a doubt, a slap in the face.
No, this will not stop me from buying RP for skins, I love this game too much. I will not however take part in this event.