A simple suggestion to improve the honor system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yaccobe

10-15-2012

I'll start off by saying that I really like the honor system. It seems that a little positive reinforcement has already gone quite a ways in making players noticeably better behaved in game.

That being said, it has one major, yet simple, flaw that I've noticed over and over (aside from honor trading, which I assume Riot is already working on)

Here it is: Lyte and other rioters have said several times that honor is intended to reward players for their behavior, not their skill or their score. Yet I find that most of the honor given is to players who did really well that game. I'm certainly guilty of it myself; if I get out-laned hard or someone does really well on a really bad team, I honor them. It feels right. Same with if I have a ****ty game and someone else really steps up and carries the team, even if they don't talk at all or do anything else noteworthy. I don't think that honor shouldn't be given to people who enhance your game experience by playing really well. However, I do think this detracts from the purpose of the honor system, which is to reward good behavior. In my experience so far, the majority of honor given is for good play, not good behavior.

The solution: add in "Skilled Player" or something along those lines as an honor category, for both allies and enemies. I don't think it would detract from the rest of the honor system, and it would make each summoner's honor points more accurately describe the way they play. As it is, when I see people's honor on their profiles, or honor crests in the pre-game lobby, I have no idea if the person is fun to play with or just good at the game.

Thoughts?

etit: idk if tribunal is the right forum for this, but I've seen a lot of honor system questions in here

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Isn't that what teamwork is being used for?

I always receive "teamwork" when I do good.

xkhazixmaster18

10-15-2012

IMO people treat the "teamwork" honor to be the term for "skilled player". I don't see the teamwork honor bieng given in many other circumstances TBH

If someone isn't top tier on the team but communicates well, that person is much more likely to get a "friendly" honor from what i have observed

yaccobe

10-15-2012

That's how I've been doing it as well, but I had the impression that "teamwork", and honor in general really, was intended more for people who improve your game experience in ways other than having a good score at the end

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaccobe View Post
That's how I've been doing it as well, but I had the impression that "teamwork", and honor in general really, was intended more for people who improve your game experience in ways other than having a good score at the end

Lyte said we "could" give honor for someone who carried us, as long as he wasn't a complete jerk on the game.

And there is no category that fits better than teamwork at that.

xkhazixmaster18

10-15-2012

so don't honor toxic players? sounds like a plan to me

Indian0Lore

10-15-2012

report toxic cancer and honor the good one.