How Many Bans Should Ranked Dominion Have?

<6, Dominion needs less bans than SR 7 11.48%
6, same as SR 13 21.31%
8, 1 more per team than SR 11 18.03%
10, same as used in DominateDominion Tournaments 28 45.90%
12, 1 more per team that used in Dominate Dominion Tournaments 1 1.64%
>12, Dominion needs more than 6 bans per team 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Not Another Ranked Dominion Petition.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IamBonez

10-15-2012

I an agree with WaterD103 on all of his points except for number two. I think target bans are a positive force in this game. You say that if you get really good with a champion they will jsut ban it, however, this forces you to better yourself by learning to play several champions at a higher, more competetive level. Once you are very good at more than one champ, the target bans can only affect a few of them, and they cannot completely ban out your better champions.

Yes, as of right now bans are more used to weed out any champions that are a bit too strong or "OP", and I would rather see all the bans go towards target bans. I feel this would make for a more interesting game and would force variety out of players who frequent a certain champion.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Well, I prefer to have players that become really strong as a few or even one champ, than lots of players just good with tons of champs, I think it's clear that the first option will level up the overall level of play a lot higher.

IamBonez

10-15-2012

However 10/10 for the OP.

AndersMMO

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterD103 View Post
Well, I prefer to have players that become really strong as a few or even one champ, than lots of players just good with tons of champs, I think it's clear that the first option will level up the overall level of play a lot higher.
I can agree with you that it's nice to have players who are just obscenely dominant and skilled with specific champions I mean, just look at the LoL community's treatment of things like Froggen's Anivia.

I also agree, that giving bans is to some degree a way to band-aid Riot's lack of balancing on some champions. But, coming from that same angle, how much more do you expect from them?

There are over 100 champions in the League of Legends now. How is it possible to balance every one of them, and every synergy between them. It's not.

So, why is it a bad thing to allow players 2 or 3 bans to lock out the obscenely overpowered champions? People can get really good at 1 character, but think about how many "pro" Jayce's there are vs how many "pro" Varus's there are... how many “pro” rengar’s there are vs how many “pro” orianna’s there are… No matter how much we hope people will take one champ and get amazing with it, they will always prefer the easier way out.

There will always be a laundry list of OPs, and People will always choose them over the others.

If you were to leave ranked Dom with 2 bans per team, how much better than blind would you think it would be?

Do you enjoy the like of variety you see? The Jax Jayce Yorick Kassadin Rengar Zix Lulu Wukong every single match? I want a break in the tedium, a game type where people will get amazing with just 1 champion, but also that that champion they get good with is something that’s worth watching a skilled player with (I want pro J4s, pro Irelias, pro Fizzes, pro Brands, not “pro” face roles every match). Notice, Anivia isn’t banned UNLESS it’s vs Froggen, Irelia isn’t banned UNLESS it’s vs Wickd. You can’t compare things like that to sweeping bans like the ones I mentioned.

I think that having 8-10 bans is a must if you want to have an evolving, multi-talented community, fewer bans, promotes less diversity, and a tunneling of skills, letting people get away with only learning 1 or 2 champions at most.

urmamasllama

10-15-2012

most balance issues i feel can be fixed with item changes and additions and tweaking the dominion aura

first off AP champs need more Armor and cdr options so that they aren't pidgeon holed into FH every single game.

second i'm not sure if the penetration aura is quite working the way it needs to yet

the biggest problem though is kassadin. his balance problems come directly from the way his kit works and the layout of the map. now we can't just nerf him specifically on dominion because well riot won't and i understand why. so my idea to resolve this is to make a change to the aura. so that any time a champ uses a teleport/blink ability (think ez shen panth kass {THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE DASHES like gragas riven or lee sin }) they would lose the mana regen and penetration buff from the map aura for a certain amount of time (somewhere between 5~10 seconds). i don't know if anyone would agree with me on this but i quite like the idea

Brogue

10-15-2012

I think that if there are 10 people playing, there should be 10 bans. One person gets to ban one champ.

Also, if the tournaments are using it, I feel it must be stable or somewhat balanced. So why not use it in future ranked dominion?

Victorio

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogue View Post
I think that if there are 10 people playing, there should be 10 bans. One person gets to ban one champ.

Also, if the tournaments are using it, I feel it must be stable or somewhat balanced. So why not use it in future ranked dominion?
I actually like this idea as well. I would personally ban blitzcrank in SR every time, and Teemo in dominion. Also, it seems to be 100% fair in solo que. Team play i can see it being iffy.

HaIfhearted

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterD103 View Post
Well, specializing in 1-2 champs isn't a bad thing, as long as you have a few other champs available you can hold your own with at your current level of play.

I personally am best with 2-3 champs, but I have like 8-9ish total that I can play at a comfortably high level that I'm not worried about being banned out.

The thing I like about target bans is that it screws over 1 trick ponies.
If you can ONLY play 1-2 champs at an extremely high level, then you aren't a very well-rounded player, and that is a weakness that competitive teams can and WILL exploit to their own benefit.

It's cool for casual players to focus exclusively on 1-2 champs, but if you want to be competitive, you need to put in the time and effort into getting good with multiple champions so that you can adapt to your teams needs, avoid getting banned out, and be able to deal with potential enemy counters.

Koravel

10-15-2012

This is a great idea for a thread.

I think Dom needs 8-10 bans, depending on how many champions they balance before releasing ranked dominion.

The following three champions absolutely must be balanced before ranked dominion, or they will simply be an automatic three bans: Jayce, Kassadin, and Lulu.

There are other champs that are very strong and might need some balancing, (Yorick, Jax, Kha'Zix), but the first three are really the only must-fixes before we could have a solid ranked game.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Quote:
I also agree, that giving bans is to some degree a way to band-aid Riot's lack of balancing on some champions. But, coming from that same angle, how much more do you expect from them?

There are over 100 champions in the League of Legends now. How is it possible to balance every one of them, and every synergy between them. It's not.
Personally I expect them to stop releasing champs, I think right now LOL has too many champs. And I think they know it, is just too profitable to them to keep releasing more champs even if it increases the burden of knowledge and worsen the balance. So I expect them to stop releasing champs or at least slow the rate, if the solution to their non stop release is to just add more bans, clearly there is a problem.

Quote:
So, why is it a bad thing to allow players 2 or 3 bans to lock out the obscenely overpowered champions? People can get really good at 1 character, but think about how many "pro" Jayce's there are vs how many "pro" Varus's there are... how many “pro” rengar’s there are vs how many “pro” orianna’s there are… No matter how much we hope people will take one champ and get amazing with it, they will always prefer the easier way out.
If it's so OP, then Riot should fix the champ, not add bans.

Quote:
There will always be a laundry list of OPs, and People will always choose them over the others.
It doesn't need to be, I even disagree the list is as big as peopel claim. It's only be because Riot lack of interest and Riot non stop releasing champs.

Quote:
If you were to leave ranked Dom with 2 bans per team, how much better than blind would you think it would be?
I want ranked for fair elo and for draft (so you can pick according not only to your team, but to your enemy team)

I do not think that with only 4 bans there is going to be such claimed monotony at all. And if at the end of the day, is what we see, I care that the game that is left is interesting and good more than anything.

Quote:
I think that having 8-10 bans is a must if you want to have an evolving, multi-talented community, fewer bans, promotes less diversity, and a tunneling of skills, letting people get away with only learning 1 or 2 champions at most.
I think it's good that people can get away with learning fewer number of champs. and this is comming from a player that if you look at my lolmatches, pick basically all champs in the game.
About the rest, more bans actually do the opposite than evolve the skill level of the community