New Trist Skill Order? (early game)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

we1MoD

10-05-2012

Disclaimer: This was written really late at night (morning?) and is still in construction so there are probably a lot of errors and grammer mistakes. If anything really stands out and doesnít make sense, please say so.

Most people/guides say to use a skill build somewhat along the lines of e>w>w>e>w>r>etc which basically provides early game burst and pushing (farming?) power. Although this may sound great to others, it really confuses me as to how it can be the "recommended" build for Tristana.

Maxing w first?
To me the w skill has always been an escape mechanism/gap closer and has never really been a damage dealer. In my eyes, if you choose to use the w to hit someone, it either means that you have decided to place yourself in a bad position (closer to enemy heroes, creeps, tower) or are in an advantageous situation by which you can finish the enemy off quickly after landing on them. Now it is quite obvious that the first scenario is BAD and the second scenario is "GOOD", but in my eyes, the chances of finding yourself in an advantageous situation is highly unlikely. Assuming that both ADCs are at the same skill level, Trist will lose every trade if she uses the skill build above and chooses not to jump them until she knows she can get a kill because the damage of lvl2 e simply canít compare to everyone else's lvl3 nuke, spammable pokes, adsp steroid, etc.

Getting lvl2 e early?
Now I can agree that getting early points in e can allow you to poke the enemy hero a little better but I do not think that the small poke is enough to warrant the early skill points. By putting points into e at the start of the game, you will end up pushing the creeps - which gives the enemy jungler a bigger opening to gank you and allows the enemy ADC to farm safely under the tower (which pretty much makes you're so called "early game burst potential" useless). Now you may argue that it allows you to cs better, but in reality this isn't true. By doing passive aoe damage on the creeps, you may find yourself getting "faster" cs, but this wonít give you "more" cs because it doesn't increase the number of creeps you can kill nor does it serve as a big enough of a threat that you can zone with it.

Proposed skill build
W/Q (depending on how defensive you have to play)>Q/W (other point)>Q>Q>W>R
*If the enemy team has a strong healer (i.e. Soraka), you can weave E into the skill build at lvl 3,4,or 5 (depending on what level you and your partner want to go for a kill) and replace the second point of W.
**The skill priority would then be to max R>Q>lvl1 E (because by this time the lane would have went from farming at the middle to tug-a-war with ults/kills/ganks)>W>E

With this skill build you will be playing a little more passively by csing in the middle of the lane and popping Q when your support can set up a fight/kill. W will only be used as an escape mechanism/gap closer, E will only be used to reduce healing when you think you can get a kill or do big damage(though with ignite you don't really need it) and R will only be used to finish enemies off/escape.

The benefits of using this build include more reliable damage in scuffles, and sustained creep equilibrium.
The downsides of using this build is less poke damage (if you even have enough mana to use it to poke and in your burst combo), and "burst" damage.

P.s: This is my first time posting anything like this on a forum so if you have any additions or constructive criticism on how I can improve this tread, donít hold back.

Rezo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

I LOVE TRIST! almost all of my games are with Tristana but I have recently dropped her and switched to EZ and Graves. I dropped her for pretty much what you said about W. I mean once something starts going down hill thats it you cant jump into your enemy so you'll get out poked. You can play it perfectly and your support makes a mistake and thats it you lost the advantage. Unless your jungler comes in and changes the balance of things you remain at a disadvantage.

Theres really no alternative build at this time with Trist. Say you level Q first, I come at you at lvl1 with someone like EZ or Graves do you really think you could trade with me? Lets pretend you could which im pretty sure it wouldnt even be close. I mean really I don't even have to try to trade with you..I can simply just use my Q on you then back away when you use yours.

I have simply come to the conclusion that unless I am queueing with a good support its not even worth the hassle. With EZ if my support forgets to exhaust or doesn't respond quickly its unlikely I am going to die and even if I do die its not that big of a deal I can recover I remain positive and continue to play....but if they pull that **** when im Trist? Lets just say my support isn't going to be giving me Honor: Friendly at the end of the match.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

Pushing the minions really aren't the issue of Trist as long as you have fine ward placement, as Trist have strong escape ability

Maxing W provide the most damage early game, combine with R and E she can easily burst an enemy down (or even with ignite)

The problem with maxing Q early game is that it offers so little burst, remember, a lot of champions have skills that allow them to burst much harder than you do, such as Corki and Graves' Q. in term of attack speed, MF will just stomp you all over the place, and even when you are comparing the damage, Vayne will beat you even though she is suppose to be a late game carry

This skill order is bad.

iueras

10-15-2012

Personally I really like the w>e approach. Maxing out W lowers the CD on your best escape and chasing tool. Nothing worse than dying because your jump was a second or 2 from being off of CD. And I am finding E to be fantastic. The damage with a single point is 1/4 to 1/5 of an enemies health pool (base damage 110! on E rank 1) at level 1 and can help you get a solid FB. With a few points you can deal significant damage to an enemy by killing minions close to them (the radius is larger than most people think).

With that said, those parts of the ability not even the part I get the most use out of. It's the healing reduction. Opponent uses a pot after a trade? E and reduce it to half effectiveness. Chew that Voli down below 30% and then use E to make his passive useless. Keep the opposing carry building lifesteal from healing enough in a fight to live while you die. There is just so much healing going on in a typical game the reduction comes in handy all the way from level 1.

I'm not saying dump all your points into E right off, but you should evaluate the situation and get skills accordingly. A single point at least in E by level 2 is rarely wasted. If you are safe and won't need your escape up a lot for whatever reason, feel free to prioritize E. The passive will help you push the wave all the way to the tower QUICKLY, so you can either back off and watch the tower eat their CS, or harass the hell out of the enemy when they try to freeze it just in front of the tower. The active can seriously hurt at low levels on its own. And the explosion on creep kill can force melee off their farm quicker than you think early on.

If you are under a lot of pressure, max out W asap so your escape will be up as much as possible. I've escaped a gank, then had the jungle come back quickly after faking leaving and the W being off CD earlier made all the difference. For 9/10 laning situations, I would say that having the lower CD on W is more valuable than anyplace else you could put your points, except the single early point in E for healing counter and good early damage.

Rarely will I say max or even put points into Q early. Remember that the AS boost from Q is not worth that much until you have the damage to back it up. The exception is when you are absolutely dominating lane and eating jungle/mid for breakfast, as the AS boost from Q early can help push down the tower quickly since you can stand there and get full benefit from it at the tower. Rarely will you have a chance during laning to really unload on the opponent with Q active, champions (especially the juicy squishy ADC bot) are just too mobile for the most part for you to get more than a couple seconds of actual time on target while using Q in lane.

tl;dr Hitting someone faster with a wet noodle is still hitting them with a wet noodle.

Resent

10-15-2012

Play with a kill lane setup. Use Ignite as well. Leona is really good with Tristana.
Get your E first, passive farm till level 2 or 3, depending on your kill lane partner. Get your W, max E first. You don't put any points into your Q until late game, it's pretty useless early game, because Tristana is all about aggressive burst, hence the synergy with Leona. W + E + Ignite + Leona combo = dead anything you jump on.