Garen -- my attempt at making him viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cujomi

10-15-2012

Dundundun...

I know, most people don't think that he's viable. I actually really like him as a champion. This is mostly theory-loling, but I thought about it a long while and I feel like this build could really cause some havoc:

Item Build
Boots of Speed + 3 Pots
-> Brutalizer
-> Ionian Boots of Lucidity
-> Aegis of the Legion
-> Warmog's Armor
-> Infinity Edge
-> Youmuu's Ghostblade

Runes
9 x Mark of Desolation
9 x Seal of Resilience
9 x Glyph of Warding
3 x Quintessence of Fortitude

Masteries
9 Offence
21 Defence

By the time Warmog's is fully stacked he has well over 4000 HP, good armor and magic resist, 30% reduction from damage with a highly reduced cooldown (around 12-13 seconds?) as well as the ability to spam silence for a pretty decent amount of time.

Maybe it's not new.

Coaltar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

I was under the impression that Garen was already viable. I haven't played him in maybe a week or so though so I can't really remember how well he did in my last few games. He's a great solo top in my experience though, his Q is great for escaping/initiating, W is beautiful for diving and general tanking, and the new Judgement just hurts soooo muuuuch. Being a resource-less champion is complimented by his passive, meaning if you're careful, you usually wont have to leave your lane unless you need to buy items.

Of course all of this is meaningless if you're playing against a Teemo. Seriously **** that guy.

Epictues

10-15-2012

Garen is viable as a counter pick. Too many champions hard counter him; the double armor pen items really dont do all that much; they wont help kill squishies all that much and that extra 15 armor pen wont make much of a difference to tanks stacking armor.

ionian boots are a decent idea; but u are depriving garen of mercury boots which give magic resist and help garen escape ganks top lane(which is garens strong point imo); or ninja tabis which are great top lane too.

that extra cooldown on brutalizer ghostblade combo is nice; but you are already over 40% cooldown if you take defensive mastery runes.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

I've never seen a Garen and said, "Meh, it's just Garen."
I think the key to any tank is: make sure you deal sufficient damage so that you are a threat.
Without that smart enemies will just ignore you.

Elyzian

10-15-2012

Garen is very much so a viable top laner now.

Exarch

10-16-2012

Garen is good in specific team comps. You don't want to have to initiate and you want to make sure you have a tanky jungler with cc to do the actual tanking. Garen is meant to be an AOE bruiser that can survive while dishing out constant damage and executing low health targets. You need to build damage and defense, not one or the other. I see so many players fail trying to rush tank items or building nothing but damage even into late game. You need a good mix, focusing on early game damage and health mid game to survive burst.