Riot is kinda bringing the lore down

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skeith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

So, it's been a long time since I've read a champion lore. I stopped after you destroyed JoJ. The champion lores started to be unexciting. Then I said, "Kha'Zix is just a fun champion, I bet his lore is awesome". Why did I try to read that? Why????

First, let's see:

Amumu: Mysterious past that makes me curious about the champion, wanting to see what is going to happen when he and his new friends try to find the truth. Lore that makes you feel sad for him being so lonely and not knowing from where he came, someone could even relate to him. However he knows what the future holds for him and have hope.

You can expect Amumu will gather his friends and go everywhere searching for his origins. They will got through some dangerous places and we can't even imagine what creatures he will find in his path. Maybe he will find that he was much more than he thinks he is? Maybe what he will find will not please him and he will turn out in an angry devastating mummy? Who knows?

Blitzcrank: A being made with technology and magic that gains sentience. However he feels lonely and can't fit in because he is just so unique that it actually made him feel awkward. But not in the League of Legends. There he could adapt his design to fight against his foes. Very simplistic but still entertaining.

Soraka, Warwick, Singed, Yi:

Singed is the mad chemist that actually gives Warwick (his master) the formula to make an elixir that would give him the form of an unstoppable creature. However, he failed getting the third ingredient, which would be Soraka heart. Soraka cursed him and he drank the Elixir even being warned by his apprentice. He became cursed by Lycantrophy.

Soraka became mortal. We discover that Soraka was actually helping Warwick. That was all his plan to kill her though. So she gets betrayed, but since she became a mortal, at least she will try to fight for the ones that are suffering.

Warwick discovers that he will lose his sanity if he don't get the third ingredient.

Singed was without his master and he had the lab all for himself, and wouldn't even care if his experiments caused death. He ruined Master Yi village which caused Yi getting angry. Master Yi trained for years and now he's off to the League to stop Noxus.

Will Warwick be able to get Soraka heart? Will he seek his old apprentice help? Maybe Soraka and Master Yi will fight together.

All those lores are exciting. Now let's take a look at Kha'Zhix lore.

Kha'Zix: Kha'Zhix is a random void creature that gets stronger by killing others. He began small then he could kill just about anyone. Then he finds Rengar, they fight from sunset to sunrise, both get hurt as ****, Rengar blind of one eye, they back off. Kha'Zhix seeks to kill Rengar. The significance to Kha'Zhix is ridiculous. Both Rengar and Kha'Zhix are creatures that want challenge. They get their challenge when they find each other.

Their fight was the first one both lost. Rengar had his pride ruined.

Rengar lore is OK but Kha'Zhix is just... meh. Kha'Zhix comes from the most mysterious place from the lore... yet he is not mysterious at all. Rengar is OK. I mean hes a beast that hunts and stronger creatures. At least we see the significance to Rengar, he got his pride hurt, and now he has meaning in his empty life. Kha'Zhix? He's on a rapefest. He's not affected at all by the fight. "Someday, Kha'Zhix will feast on Rengar". Wth is this, The Lion King?

"With each kill he absorbs his prey's strength, evolving to grow more powerful". Am I reading lore or game mechanics? I can't tell the difference.

Riot should take more time in-between champions. As much as I love playing with Kha'Zhix, the lore just kills the mood. I'd rather wait 1 or 1 and a half month to see some awesome lore that actually fits the game and has significance than seeing one every two weeks with unexciting lore.

Seth Lightheart

10-29-2012

I 100% agree. It's a pity what riot did to Zix's lore.

However, I would go a few steps further >.> a lot of the lore remakes are... meh. The only one I liked a lot of Mord's. And that was because it showed even in death you can't escape those from the shadow isles.

Melancholy Exile

10-29-2012

I've got to ask: How do you actually could've handled his lore and character in a more fitting way?

Kha'zix's lore is hardly a stand-out piece of work, certainly, but it makes perfect sense for what he is and does. Rather than being some complex villain or 'deep' character, Kha'zix is a creature driven almost entirely by instinct. There isn't a deeper meaning behind his actions because it doesn't make sense for him to have that sort of motivation. He hunts and kills simply because it is his sole purpose to exist and being efficient and to-the-point is kinda his thing.

I'd say the only thing that makes Kha'zix's lore at all different from Cho'gath's or Kog'maw's is that it actually focusses on him, rather than being an expose about the Void with a small extract about the character. You can say that he's lacking as a character, and you'd be right, but that's because he's not supposed to be someone we can really relate to. It's a little like complaining the Xenomorphs of the Alien franchise aren't sympathetic characters.

What sort of characterisation would you rather they had given him?

Skeith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Ugh, I don't mean like every character needs to be deep.

I don't mean like he needs to be a deep character. I don't also think we should be able to relate to him in anyway, just as we can't relate to Singed, unless you are making atomic bombs and throwing at cities just for fun.

But at least the alien had a purpose, a purpose from other beings, as it got revealed in the Prometheus movie. What about Kha'Zhix? I honestly though they were going to explore more the Voidborn with Kha'Zhix. We were waiting so long for a revisit to the void, and I was expecting that it would reveal a little more about the place itself, and what kind of connection Kha'Zhix has with that.

I always though as the void being a place where all creatures serve a purpose, hence the Voidborn tales that we see in the Cho'Gath lore. But the long awaited revisit to the void is so vague. The only thing we have are the champion lores, and we got 2 vague paragraphs from one of the most mysterious places of the game, along with Icathia.

About the characterisation, how could I possibly answer you this? I have little about the lore. What is in my imagination may be totally opposed as to what the Rioters are preparing. I can't answer you this.

I also might add that as much as I like the Warwick new lore, alongside with Singed, the old made much more sense when matching with Soraka lore. Yesterday I searched for the old lore and had forgotten how much better it was.

The new Soraka lore is about Warwick being saved by Soraka when he was fighting a group of men. What the hell? Was this part of his plan? Couldn't Soraka just see what he was doing? I mean, she was a divine being, couldn't she really see that? Also, Warwick, revenge for some guys killing his wife? Wasn't him just wanting to bait Soraka? I'm confused.

The old one was much better, Warwick causing havoc made much more sense with his personality, and Soraka cursing him for what he did... you can't deny it was better.

justcallmedewey

10-30-2012

Magic the Gathering is another example of a great game that ignored it's lore and has suffered as a consequence. I like that Riot is capitalizing on the e-sports market, and as a result it has made them bigger and more successful (much as MTG did) but flavor is not a replacement for lore.

The worst thing Wizards did with Magic was drop the novels (or in the case of Quest for Karn, just a terrible book) which is something Riot could stand to publish. At least a canon comic series to replace the JoJ

Sylph

Emissary of the League

10-30-2012

I think that Riot's new lore delivery method is different from the classic style that we, the original players are used to. However this does not mean that it is inferior in anyway - just different.

LordOfLoot

10-30-2012

The style is definitely different, and while I personally prefer the old style, its hard to fault them from being different in style than their predecessors. Still, I think the lore is very inferior as of late. They have released some really bad lore (Syndra, Kha'Zix, etc.). They have also thrown out some good lore with their reworks, in some cases replacing character bios with inferior ones, in some cases rewriting lore so as to contradict other lore, like the JoJ (along with Singed and now Maokai).

Certainly they've done some good things... but they have also done far too many bad. They show no signs of changing that and they haven't been talking with the community about it either. Overall they have done very poorly in my opinion

Melancholy Exile

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeith View Post
But at least the alien had a purpose, a purpose from other beings, as it got revealed in the Prometheus movie. What about Kha'Zhix? I honestly though they were going to explore more the Voidborn with Kha'Zhix. We were waiting so long for a revisit to the void, and I was expecting that it would reveal a little more about the place itself, and what kind of connection Kha'Zhix has with that.
Kha'zix shows that the Voidborn aren't simply powerful beings that are occasionally stumbling into Valoran by sheer accident, and part of some eventual sweeping tide of horror, but individualistic and unique beings that have adapted to thrive in other worlds so they can better adapt and conquer them. He presents a totally different side to what we've seen in Cho'gath and Kog'maw because his motivations are all too clear and very much within his grasp. Rather than being something with just a vaguely defined apocalyptic intent, and wave of cyclopean horror waiting in the wings, he's a being that has broken away from the traditional mould. He's different; he's unique; he's a type of creature and personality we had no idea existed in the Void before his creation.

I like to think of Kha'zix as being heavily inspired by the Tyranid Lictor of Warhammer 40,000, in much the same way Cho'gath's design owes a lot to the Carnifex. He's an individualistic vanguard for the greater force who exists to infiltrate a world, and analyse the strengths of its inhabitants, before the chittering horrors follow in his wake.

When I posed that question, I really don't think I did it especially well. Beyond being "exciting" and having an air of mystery befitting his heritage, you haven't really said how you think Kha'zix should've been characterised or given any practical suggestions for how they could've made him more interesting. It sounds as though your issue is more that they chose to actually give him a clear and individualistic goal, rather than making him part of the ineffable design of the Void and focussing on exposition. I'm asking what you think would make his lore "exciting" and actually want to play as him: What could Riot have done to make you appreciate the character more?

LordOfLoot

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
he's a being that has broken away from the traditional mould. He's different; he's unique; he's a type of creature and personality we had no idea existed in the Void before his creation.
I could not disagree with you more. Kha'Zix has absolutely no personality. He is not a unique being that shows us a different side of the void, but rather the most simplistic element of it. He is a hungry monster, and that is all there is to him. He came here to eat, and he ate and ate until he found a meal he couldn't eat, so now his goal in life is to eat it.

With Cho'Gath we know that while he feasts he is also intelligent and spiteful. He has a hatred for mankind and is a part of a larger doomsday that might be just around the corner.

Kog'Maw is very childish in nature. Because he doesn't understand how to interact with the world, he just devours, almost like the child who breaks things for attention. Kog'Maw truly shows us a different side of the void, as he is not an inherently evil creature (right now).

These are all just complaints about how boring his lore is, but it also has a lot of holes in it. "Kha'Zix infiltrated Valoran"... what!? Its pretty widely accepted that the Void opening to Valoran will be an end times scenario, but Kha'Zix just gets in? no explanation? It also doesn't make any sense that he would join the League of Legends, where he will never be able to really devour anything.

In response to your question about what Riot could have done to make Kha'Zix more 'exciting', I see two easy options they could have taken.
1) Make him a real individual. Tell us more about his personality. Does he have a reason he wants to become the strongest? Was there something about the Void he disagreed with that made him want to leave there? is there ANYTHING about him other than "must eat strong food"?
2) If he is just a mindless drone, I think that's OK, but then explain more about his hive structure. What is the place of Kha'Zix's race in the Void? what does a single mindless drone coming here mean? Is he part of some ant-colony type hierarchy, and if so what other creatures are in his clan that the people of Valoran need to worry about?

Anything really to give him some character or individuality, because right now he is probably the most boring champion (lore-wise) in the league.

Melancholy Exile

10-30-2012

Kha'zix certainly has a personality. He has an arrogance that comes with his certainty in the Void's eventual victory and a clearly finds excitement in his kills, "[burning] with anticipation" at the thought of hunting stronger prey. In the same way that both Cho'gath and Kog'maw show different aspects of the Void, Kha'zix shows us the inevitability of its victory over whatever stands in its path, twinned with the careful nature of its current advance into our world. He isn't some ravenous monster that eats everything put before it but a careful and discerning predator, picking out the choicest prey so he might one day have the strength to overcome any obstacle put before him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfLoot View Post
These are all just complaints about how boring his lore is, but it also has a lot of holes in it. "Kha'Zix infiltrated Valoran"... what!? Its pretty widely accepted that the Void opening to Valoran will be an end times scenario, but Kha'Zix just gets in? no explanation?
According to Kog'maw's lore, Malzahar's mere existence in Valoran gives out a psychic keening call which, in Koggy's case, can lead to the Voidborn finding their way across the threshold almost by accident. For all we know there might be other minor cracks or fluctuations in the walls between the worlds as the power of the void swells or some other sort of disturbance that give him that opportunity. Consider it an element of mystery and an example of the power of the Void expanding beyond our knowledge.

(Yeah, I have no idea either)

I don't disagree with you on just why he's in the League. Riot have definitely dropped the ball by choosing to leave that part up to our interpretation - that being the official reason they don't tell us any more.

Kha'zix is the malign intelligence of the Void, testing and probing Valoran to learn its strengths, adapt so it can overcome them and encompassing them into itself. He is the terror of a beast that always finds a way to defeat the challenges put before them and only emerges the stronger from its trials. His lore states that Kha'zix successes led him to believe that he was "unstoppable" but his fight with Rengar showed him all too clearly that he had ground left to cover.

While Rengar is the proud hunter, relishing the chance to hunt the ultimate prey, Kha'zix has a mind that sees the challenges before him and approaches them as a test of his own strengths, looking to try different avenues of approach before he find the one that brings success. He's not driven by natural hunger but by a burning desire to be stronger, swifter and ultimately efficient. Rengar sees him as the ultimate conquest, and hunts him for glory, while he looks on Rengar as the ultimate test of his abilities but just another kill in the grand scheme of things.