[Counter-Guide] How to Lane/Fight against Vlad (Or: Stop *****ing and read this)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StrongGuy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2011

veigar eats any caster

Necrosis627

01-24-2011

Oh wow this thread is old...
Well bumping this shoulda stopped all the Vlad QQ that's been going on

Cerebere

01-24-2011

Actually in a weird way the most powerful thing about Vlad is his psychological effect on newer players. If they think that Vlad is OP they will be too afraid to fight with him and end up getting harassed to death. If they look at him and think 'squishy mage' and forget about his survivability they die. If you Mejei's or Leviathan on him they feel desperate (If we don't shut him down now, we will all be screwed!) so they attack at times they otherwise would not. If you take your time to think and lay out a plan it's easy to see his weaknesses, but you can often forget about the fact that you have Executioners calling or deathfire grasp when Vlad is bearing down on you

Burning Rose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebere View Post
Actually in a weird way the most powerful thing about Vlad is his psychological effect on newer players. If they think that Vlad is OP they will be too afraid to fight with him and end up getting harassed to death. If they look at him and think 'squishy mage' and forget about his survivability they die. If you Mejei's or Leviathan on him they feel desperate (If we don't shut him down now, we will all be screwed!) so they attack at times they otherwise would not. If you take your time to think and lay out a plan it's easy to see his weaknesses, but you can often forget about the fact that you have Executioners calling or deathfire grasp when Vlad is bearing down on you
Hence the genesis of this guide.

HungryKarnage

01-29-2011

Good thread that I'm keeping bumped up.

Here is an example. Just played 2 games with a Vlad in game.

First - I was Vlad against a Akali solo top lane. Akali is normally only dangerous at lvl 6, so I harass much harder than I normally would. Once she is level 6, I start pulling back. Some Vlads would say, 'Hey, you have pool, you should faceroll melees'. True against quite a number of them, but not against Akali. She has much higher burst damage, and when I hit her with 1 q, she is going to return the favour by r,q, proc q, e. If I pool to avoid the burst, don't forget that it costs me 20% of my hp. If I go for a direct confrontation she will cloak and avoid my spam q. So I keep my aggression in check, buy an oracle and call in a gank. Then the tables turn horridly against her. When she ultis into me, I pool, my mate comes up and we feast on the slowed Akali that can't cloak away. Other good stuff happens with Ashe trying to kill me (easy money) and Blitz pulling me accidentally in a jungle teamfight (they all died, we didn't lose one)

Second - top lane solo again. I'm Nasus against Vlad. I understand that Vlad has weak harass early, so I build up SS during the first mintues. When he reaches level 6, I start using my SF to farm, while occasionally charging up to SS last hit. I take damage, but nothing too horrid to kill me. Pots help to keep me in lane longer as I know the Vlad will not attempt a takedown unless my life is less than half (Nasus ulti gives extra life). When he is feeling good about himself and starts overextending, I call in for ganks. Why? Because most vlads pack a ghost, not flash, and rely heavily on pool to stay alive. Which is perfect for me because I hold exhaust and have wither. I don't attempt to solo kill as my SS is not built up enough to burst him down, but with a mate, things are easy peasy. I wither him, forcing him to pool when my mate shows up as well for the kill. He activates ghost to retreat, I hit him with exhaust and we get the kill simple. With 0/9/21 masteries, exhaust comes back often enough for us to continually gank and kill him till he gets to the point of tower hugging. All this time my farming is kept up using SF and the occasional SS. He is underfarmed from lack of kills and respawn times.

In both games, I won both and the enemy teams kept blaming their solo top lanes for letting me farm and get kills. Truthfully, it was not because they were bad players (they weren't) nor because I was gosu. It was because I understood that Vlad is not OP (hence the caution in first game), and that intelligently adapting to the situation lets you capitalize on his strengths and weaknesses. This thread should be kept bumped to continually train newer players about Vlad. He is not OP, and I hope that when enough players get it, Riot won't send him on the nerf/buff rollercoaster.

Nihles

01-29-2011

I agree with everything in this thread. Vlad's power level is fine, his ability to deny is just irritating.

Burning Rose

01-31-2011

Skittles! Taste the bump!

...Wait...

Vocabulary

03-02-2011

uhhh..this thread didn't help me at all. All you did was talk smack about other champs. I still don't know how to counter Vladimir.

Infinite Power

03-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaynali View Post
uhhh..this thread didn't help me at all. All you did was talk smack about other champs. I still don't know how to counter Vladimir.
Then go play some Fiddlesticks, Fear + Drain = Easy first blood or kill. Silence him with your Dark Wind when he try to get close to you and use Fear + Drain combo. Show him who is the boss.

ZXPrototype

03-09-2011

Guide should just be "play kassidin, or tristana."