The Karthus Problem -A well thougth out solution

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lucius Neas

10-13-2012

"Karthus has won both of these games" - Jatt, in reference to Karthus ban in game 3 of Grand Finals.

Riot has made it clear that they are aware of the issues that currently plague higher level game play: Ezreal, Guardian's Angel, Karthus, etc, but don't want to rock the boat too hard what with Season Two Championships.

I just saw Karthus banned in game 3 of worlds after having completely wrecking the first two rounds. So to have I had rapt attention (practically taking notes) when Zilleas and Morello made epic posts on Fun vs Anti Fun and the importance of counterplay.

Karth's damage can't be nerfed significantly or else he'd feel unsatisfying. an Ultimate with a .4 Ap ratio simply wouldn't be fun. But no one can ignore how ridiculous Karth flashing in team, dying, and then getting triples and quads with R is.

So add the counterplay, make it so Karthus can no longer use Requiem while dead. (Death Defied)

-Neas

PS: That misspelled title XD

Notdoppler

10-13-2012

That would totally ruin karthus... The ult can only really be utilized in team fights when he's dead. If you have to stay out of enemy range in order to ult, that counters the whole idea of karthus being able to flash in and do tons of damage with his e.

Sexual Healing

10-13-2012

>>>>>revive<<<<<<

Hoizengerd

10-13-2012

the problem isn't Karthus's ultimate, it's his AOE damage, insane amounts of it...he does like 700 damage from his defile alone in one team fight, add in his Q's doing like 300 per hit & you already have most champs at half health

the solution to Karthus is; don't fight in his aoe, kill him off, run away, i've managed to pull this strategy off successfully in many games, the real problem comes when you can't or aren't willing to run from his aoe, both teams made the mistake

SovietBlade

10-13-2012

remove his CC immunity during death maybe?
So An alistar can save his entire team from suicide-bomber karthua?

lockpooh

10-13-2012

If you nerf him, you need to buff him in some other way. He's slow, squishy & lacks the escapes of say Ahri / LeBlanc / Anivia (wall & egg) / etc.

frickenbrick

10-13-2012

if you nerf his area affect then you need to give him more health or he basicly becomes useless in a team fight as Q(lay waste) only dose double damage when it hits 1 opponent. so therefor in a team fight all he has really is E as Q is ment as his poke What you are really complaining about is that fact that you or your team are not willing to run out of his E when he drops it If you really run in to a good karthus in a teamfight you will learn that most of them sit on the outside and hareass to prevent from getting focused it only when they get focused that you get screwed as by focusing him you go inside the range of his area affect and at the same time you are getting Qed which if just you are focusing him then you are getting hit for a min base damage of 500 which with a 1 sec cool down he can drop say 2 in a 1 v 1 close range fight which drops you 1k heath while the E base damage a sec is 200 so say your in the area affect 4 sec 2 to kill him and 2 to escape his range min damage will be 800 karthus really isnt OP becouse he is so Squishy he is also very slow.

Fiveofswords

10-14-2012

no...there is no problem

nobody said karthus broke the game...its jsut true that globals snowball pretty hard...Thats totally different from a champ being OP...various champs snowball mroe than others. You fight that, or support it, with your tema strategy. Nobody has claimed that karthus breaks the game and he doesnt. Pantheon and TF also have globals, you know? but they didnt get much play

also, it was noted that tpa in that one game simply didnt have the composition to deal with karthus...their damage was fairly short range. Karthus e is strong against that. It jsut wasnt a working composition. Toyz owned with karthus jsut cause toyz owns in general.

in terms of normal team fights...karthus damage and range are somewhat lacking compared to most ap...he just has an interesting ult. Thats team strategy, thats karthus

StonedSamurai

10-15-2012

If you can't use requiem while dead, then it needs a way shorter channel time. I'm thinking 1-2 seconds.

lockpooh

10-15-2012

I think people take the world finals too seriously. Example: Oriana is strong in these tournaments. Does she need a nerf? I'm in ello hell and I love going up against high skill cap champions because most people aren't that great at them. If I were 2k+ vs an Oriana as Malz I might be scared. But in Ello Hell (arguably where most people are) there is an equality that isn't there in higher level play so I tend to do well against Orianna. I also love facing Karthus, most people play him "press R to win" and can't land a Q to save their life. I start boots and start harrassing while dodging his Q. Cause ello hell people can't land it for ****.

Basically, you can't base a game around the top 2% of players because the equilibrium up there is not the same down here in ello hell. That is like basing the economy off the top 2% richest people. We all know that doesn't go well.