[Help Requested] Trying to Play Twitch

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wickerbough

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2010

Alright... I'd like to start by saying I'm not new to Twitch. I know he's squishy and that won't change, I know what his abilities do, I know where his strengths and weaknesses are, and I know to check everyone for oracles every time I see them and orchestrate ganks.

That said, I'm trying to fine-tune my ideas here as well as get some confirmation about builds and such... so for starters:

For runes I go ArP marks and quints, with AS glyphs and seals.
For masteries I go 21/0/9

--Though lately I've been thinking of going 21/9/0 and swapping AS seals for dodge seals and AS glyphs for MR glyphs. My only problem is I don't know that that will be enough to actually see any drastic result in survivability.

As soon as the game starts I grab a vamp scepter, level Q, and take my lane, wherever it may be. My priority is R > E > Q > W, but I'm sure to put 1 rank in W early, I just don't see the huge benefits of maxing it asap.

My vamp scepter stays while I get boots of mobility. Depending on whether I have closer to 1k or 2k gold after boots I go for either my recurve bow to start on Stark's Fervor or my BF Sword to go for bloodthirster. Regardless, those are usually my second and third items (after boots).

From there (or if things are getting really messy, maybe before I finish the third item) I decide...

Casters Are Annoying: Banshee's Veil/Wit's End/Force of Nature
Physical DPS Are annoying: Phantom Dancer/Phantom Dancer/Bloodrazor
Tanks Are Annoying: Bloodrazor/(If tank has MP pool) Wit's End (not for extra dmg, for draining the small MP pool)/Phantom Dancer

In every case, at some point in between when things settle or maybe even in late game I finish off with an infinity's edge.

SOOOOOO

I still have trouble outputting enough damage to stay alive. A lot.
I don't know if my problem is that I think too defensively and lose out on damage, or maybe if I need work on positioning, or maybe I'm just not using stealth to its maximum advantage (I always view stealth as only a minor tool to Twitch; I rarely am in stealth for more than 10 seconds to grab the AS bonus because I don't want to become dependent on it and die horribly when they get oracles).

Thoughts? Corrections? General playing advice? All are welcome.

PorkNasty

09-28-2010

You could try skipping Spray n Pray till lvl 10; it's not something a lot of people like to do but the fact is you'll probably get more dmg out of expunge/stealth by lvl 6 then you would his ult as you really don't have the dmg items yet to make the Ult worth while imo. I hardly ever worry about defensive items with Twitch unless I'm taking a lot of dmg or dying; if you can get away with it just go dmg/lifesteal/attack speed.

Carados

09-28-2010

Don't build attack speed on Twitch. He already gets enough. Build Armor Penetration, attack damage, and crit.

Maybe a Bloodrazors if you need it.

And for the love of Eris don't start with a Vampiric Scepter that's just asking to be harassed out of a lane.

Ishameal

09-28-2010

I used to main Twitch, I'm pretty sure I have over 400 games with the lovable rat man. For professional advice search for Dan Dinh and check out his guide. For my experiences read on:

I have run lots of different rune pages setups with Twitch. My current Twitch page is Armor Pen Marks and Quints, Crit Chance seals and Glyphs. My original page was pure crit chance, I still run this page occasionally, you'll get some surprise kills, but your overall damage output will be lower. I ocassionally run a conservative page Armor Pen Marks, Dodge Seals, Mana regen glyphs, and Flat HP Quints. This page pretty much makes you a mini tank at level 1, with a dorans blade or shield you'll have plenty of HP for early skirmishes.

For masteries I always go 21-0-9. You want damage, and unlike one of the above posters I think you want to hit your ult as soon as possible.

I have two different builds depending on if I get early kills or not. I always start out with a Dorans blade (it helps with last hits and keeps you alive).

If I manage to get a kill or two before I need to head back I'll buy a BF sword and boots on the first trip back. The idea is to press my already considerable advantage before people can tank up. Then I buy boots, in this case I'd get boots of mobility, but beserker greaves or merc treads are good too. Finish infinity edge. Then pick up a BF sword and vamp scepter. If they are stacking armor I build a last whisper and then finish the blood thirster. At any point after the infinity edge I'm getting focused with CC I'll pick up a veil.

If I'm merely holding my own I buy two rice blades and a pick ax as soon as I can. If forced out of my lane very early I'll pick up a second dorans blade. Then build boots, usually merc treads in this case. Then build infinity edge. If I'm getting focused fired I'll build a veil, and then build a black cleaver. In this case I haven't managed to secure an early game advantage, so I need to bank on the late game and concentrate on not getting pushed out of my lane again.

I really don't like bloodrazor on twitch, but in some cases like against singed or super armor stacking tanks you don't have much of a choice. Typically against moderate armor stackers you'll get more utility out of a black cleaver or last whisper. This is particularly true of the black cleaver if your team has other physical damage dealers. Also keep in mind that killing tanks is a group affair, you should concentrate on killing any squishies first and then turn your attention back to the tanks.

Even more important than build the biggest key to twitch success is position and timing in a team fight. You want to wait for any heavy hitting CC to be blown before you come out of stealth, and if possible wait until the enemy team has decided to focus somebody. I would highly recommend not entering a fight where scion/taric/veigar/etc still have their stuns up, where Amumu has his ultimate ready, or where you can't see Olaf.

Also keep in mind which champions it makes sense to try and kill. I wouldn't bother trying to kill a Gragas even if he was at half health. Similarly I wouldn't try to kill an Annie or Viegar unless I knew that their stun was on CD. Jax isn't worth your time unless your team is with you, but luckily Jax is out of style. Mordekaiser should be engaged at maximum range and only while his ult is on CD. Similarly you want to be on the other side of the map than Singed until it is time for team fights. The general rule of thumb is that you want to see tanks at less than 1/3 health before trying for a gank, you don't want to tangle with anybody with good burst and a stun, and if you are playing against another twitch the first to break stealth loses.

Lawful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerbough View Post
Alright... I'd like to start by saying I'm not new to Twitch. I know he's squishy and that won't change, I know what his abilities do, I know where his strengths and weaknesses are, and I know to check everyone for oracles every time I see them and orchestrate ganks.

That said, I'm trying to fine-tune my ideas here as well as get some confirmation about builds and such... so for starters:

For runes I go ArP marks and quints, with AS glyphs and seals.
For masteries I go 21/0/9

--Though lately I've been thinking of going 21/9/0 and swapping AS seals for dodge seals and AS glyphs for MR glyphs. My only problem is I don't know that that will be enough to actually see any drastic result in survivability.

As soon as the game starts I grab a vamp scepter, level Q, and take my lane, wherever it may be. My priority is R > E > Q > W, but I'm sure to put 1 rank in W early, I just don't see the huge benefits of maxing it asap.

My vamp scepter stays while I get boots of mobility. Depending on whether I have closer to 1k or 2k gold after boots I go for either my recurve bow to start on Stark's Fervor or my BF Sword to go for bloodthirster. Regardless, those are usually my second and third items (after boots).

From there (or if things are getting really messy, maybe before I finish the third item) I decide...

Casters Are Annoying: Banshee's Veil/Wit's End/Force of Nature
Physical DPS Are annoying: Phantom Dancer/Phantom Dancer/Bloodrazor
Tanks Are Annoying: Bloodrazor/(If tank has MP pool) Wit's End (not for extra dmg, for draining the small MP pool)/Phantom Dancer

In every case, at some point in between when things settle or maybe even in late game I finish off with an infinity's edge.

SOOOOOO

I still have trouble outputting enough damage to stay alive. A lot.
I don't know if my problem is that I think too defensively and lose out on damage, or maybe if I need work on positioning, or maybe I'm just not using stealth to its maximum advantage (I always view stealth as only a minor tool to Twitch; I rarely am in stealth for more than 10 seconds to grab the AS bonus because I don't want to become dependent on it and die horribly when they get oracles).

Thoughts? Corrections? General playing advice? All are welcome.
There is like everything wrong with your twitch build and the way you play him, haha..sorry xP

First of all masteries, i'd never suggest a 21/x/x build since you have more useful masteries both in the def and support section.

In the Offense section all you need to go up to is the extra 6 ArPen, and thats 11 points, the rest should be in support or defense.

Your rune buildup is also poor, as a Twitch you only have one way to build him and thats crit AD, thus you need a buildup of either Crit Marks/Crit Seals/CD/MR Glyphs and HP Quints or ArPen Marks/Crit Seals/Crit/CD/MR Glyphs and HP Quints.

Either way you go, you need to have atlesat 7% crit rate of your own or 15~16% of you have crit Marks.

Quints should never be anything else except Flat HP since your as you know - extremely squishy and those extra few hits you can survive early on make a huge difference. (They make a difference later on aswell tho)

The second fault is your vamp scepter, you should only get either a Brawler Glove if you are confident in yourself or get a dorans shield for the extra AR and health regen , it should help alot more than a vamp scepter since alot of the time you shoud spend in your Ambush state getting that AS buff as for long as possible for a harass or minion wave, also to keep your enemies alerted of your presence, even on the same lane so it won't give them any toughts of pushing.

You should also never build up a stark, its a easy warning for the enemy team that your around them when the buff icon appears in they'r buff section.

The general item build up for Twitch that you use is ineffective, the only real item you should consider is Banshee Veil if the enemy team is very CC haevy like Amumu+Veigar+Galio+taric+Sion, ect.

In any other scenarion you should consider always getting IE first (infinity edge)
If there are any tanks on their teams then you get a last whisper, bloodrazor is never a option and sucks on anyone except WW and that glutton Kog, it doesn't bring enough difference to the field to be useful.

Also a good alternative for tanks is a black cleaver, it reduces 60RM plus gives a good amount of AD.

Wits end is a pittiful item thats not worth a cent anymore, don't even consider it.

As Twitch you should always try to be in Ambush for as long as possible for both getting your enemies nervous and for building up that AS bonus for any situation, also for when you wait for creeps inbetween waves or want to harass.
The skillbuild on Twitch can be either W/Q or E/W, depends on the way you like to play.

And generally, i wouldn't say that you really bothered reading any decent guides or asking for opinion on the forums, thats why you are still using that old build.

read these two:
[Guide] Twitch – The Rat Who Fell From Grace http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=188069
[Guide] Twitch -- AKA John J. Rambo, the Rage-Inducing Steamloller http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=39317