Champion Concept- Stygia, the Sleeping Blades

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KyleOmega9001

4 Weeks Ago

Heya, first post and I'm already diving into creating a champ. Go big or go home, amirite?

So this is one of two concepts I came up with on my downtime at work. I'm a big fan of dual-form Champions, and the lore and gameplay of the entire game is just awesome. Also, work is boring sometimes.

So yeah. Here's my concept.

Stygia, the Sleeping Blades

Lore:

In a particular lab in Zaun lies a book of reports. It is one book among hundreds that this labs occupant has written, but she considers it her most valuable. While the other reports lie on the shelves, gathering dust and cobwebs, this one perpetually lies on the main work desk, next to techmaturgy one could only dream of. The cover reads "Project Stygia, Overseen by Dr. Reis Zazaze." Some key excerpts follow:

I first became aware of the subject while testing my, at the time, prized invention, the Wide-Area Consciousness Inhibitor. As the name suggests, it was meant to induce sleep in a wide area, perfect for nullifying large groups of enemies at once.

I had procured several "volunteers", among whom was the subject of this project: the boy Stygia, an orphan, dirty and alone, taken from the city streets. While controlled lab tests would be the norm, the final product would need to be effective against groups, and the pool of willing volunteers was sorely lacking, hence my use of street urchins and homeless, who are always willing to make money simply by existing.

The experiment began well enough, but quickly soured. The techmaturgy simply couldn't handle the increased strain of so many people at once, and overloaded, flooding the test chamber with energy and nearly backfiring into my control chamber. I shudder to think what would have become of me had that happened.

By the time I regained control, the Inhibitor and all of its systems were destroyed, and all but one of the subjects were dead. A pity, but if they knew what their sacrifice had heralded, I believe that they would find their deaths acceptable. I know I would understand.

As I looked upon the fresh pile of corpses, lamenting the loss of my invention, I saw a stirring. The boy jerked unsteadily to his feet, as if learning to move for the first time, or, as the case probably was, like a puppet being pulled up by strings. I noted that his eyes were closed, and could see the telltale signs of deep, dreaming sleep. There was a flash, and when the light had faded, the boy was only barely visible through a translucent red haze, which almost instantly snapped into coherent form.

The boy was surrounded by a set of translucent, blood red armor, with jagged, sword-like protrusions decorating it liberally. Most eye-catching were the hands, which ended in very unhuman fingers, long and metallic and razor sharp, and the eyes peering out from the helmet. They weren't the boy's eyes, as I could still vaguely see that they were closed through the crimson clouds that were peering around with a cautious curiosity.

I asked the being what it was, to which it replied:

"I am this boy, Stygia's, Shadow..."

Some years later

I cannot believe how much time has passed since those two entered my life. At least I have the backing of some of the highest powers in Zaun to keep this lab running. It is too bad Stygia has been declared a state secret, or my fame would surely have skyrocketed, too.

Even then, all this time and I still know little about Shadow and his relationship with Stygia. He has revealed only three relevant pieces of information:

1.) He is a species of dream symbiote from another plane of existence, taking some form of energy from Stygia, and increases Stygia's abilities in turn. This is also how his species grows and gains power.

2.) In his plane, there existed thousands of beings, each like him but bearing a unique power. He was the rough equivalent of a shaman, in tune with the natural magics of the plane.

2.) The two share a single consciousness, though only one can be in control of the body at a time.

This leads me into Stygia's most prominent oddity: apparently, my invention's failure has caused the boy to experience a bizarre form of narcolepsy. Every few minutes, he will spontaneously fall asleep. This would normally be a great detriment in life, were one not possessed by a dream creature. The exact moment he falls asleep, Shadow awakens, instantly taking over where Stygia left off. A few minutes later, Stygia will awaken, Shadow will vanish, and again there will be no interruption of activity. The level of consciousness sharing that this requires is staggering.

The most recent page, dated about a year after the previous entry and corresponding with the present date, reads as such:

Stygia and Shadow are going to be Champions in the League of Legends.

I know I shouldn't be too worried. They can handle themselves. As part of the project, they were required to take extensive combat training. But I've grown close to those boys, almost as if I were their mother. I suppose I'll permit myself a tiny bit of worry.

It was a few months ago, when that rash of sleep incidents broke out among summoners. I noticed that they were getting more and more agitated, like they might know what was happening. Then came the news that the perpetrator was caught, imprisoned, and bound to serve as a League Champion. Upon seeing the image of the being, Stygia, who was in control at the time, leapt to his feet, said one word, and retreated to his quarters.

"Nocturne..."

They emerged several hours later, demanding that they be brought to the Institute of War and made Champions. Upon further inquiry, it seems Shadow and this Nocturne are the same race. However, Nocturne had broken some rules held among their people, several hundred years ago: Never drain your hosts without giving anything back, and never kill the host. Last Shadow knew, Nocturne had been imprisoned on their home plane. He must have escaped, and fled here to collect power. While they were glad to hear the fiend was imprisoned, they intended to make sure he stayed that way with their own hands.

When I brought this to my sponsors, they were unanimous in their decision.

"Make him a Champion of Zaun."

They brought him to the Institute yesterday, and I've received news that he's been confirmed as a Champion.

I'm finally being recognized for my work, but it's not over. If my boys are going to fight, then they'll fight only with gear that I've made. Project Stygia is still ongoing. It's new objective, set by me, is to make my boys the greatest Champions the world has ever seen so that they can fulfill their goal of making sure Nocturne is kept imprisoned.

The report ends here, but the story of the Sleeping Blades is only just beginning...

Description:
Stygia is a mid to late teen, wearing a custom-built, black suit of Zazaze Tech (Z3 Tech) Powered Armor, which has hidden weapons, gadgets and tools. His head is uncovered, leaving his spiked-back black hair and red eyes visible, but the ragged leather cape looped around his face and trailing out behind him obscures his mouth.

His main weapons are the Z3 Tech Blastarm blaster on his right forearm, and his Z3 Tech Shineblade on his left wrist.

When he falls asleep, his dream symbiote, Shadow, awakens. With a flash of crimson light, he manifests as a translucent blood-red armor suit, head to toe covered in stylings and projections reminiscent of swords. The only parts of the dream creature that we see beneath its armor are its hands, ending in claws that are shaped very similarly to the decor on his armor, and a bit of its face and glowing red eyes visible through the opening in its helmet.

Even though he has emerged, he is still using Stygia's body as a medium. When Stygia is sleeping, Shadow has complete control of the body. However, due to the strange narcolepsy that Stygia is afflicted with, Shadow doesn't have a lot of time on the outside.

ANYways, enough exposition. Let's discuss the abilities!

PASSSIVE: Duality

Stygia and Shadow share one body, but only one is in play at a time. Their resource is Consciousness, and it affects the way each form is played differently.

STYGIA FORM:

Consciousness starts at 100, and constantly drains at a rate of 1 every 2 or 3 seconds. It is also drained to fuel Stygia's skills. When it is equal to or less than 0 (yes, you can cast spells that bring you below 0), Stygia falls asleep and enters SHADOW FORM.

SHADOW FORM:

Consciousness starts at 0, and constantly regens at a rate of 1 every 2-3 seconds. Using Shadow's skills adds Consciousness, and, you guessed it, when it reaches 100 or above, Stygia wakes up and reverts to STYGIA FORM.

Duality also encompasses the stat changes needed when swapping between forms. Stygia is a kind of Assassin/Marksman, while Shadow is a Tank/Fighter. Obviously, theres a bit of a gap between DPS and a TANK, so upon entering a different form, each character converts stats, so that they can use a relatively standard set of equipment.

STYGIA FORM:
AP and AS are primary stats
Any points in AD convert at a slight loss to AP, and provide bonus AS. Thus, AD will remain at its basic level, while AP and AS are boosted yet higher.

Pretty basic. Now to swap to Shadow Form:

SHADOW FORM:

AP is converted to AD at a Slight/Moderate loss, AS is reverted to base, but grants bonus AD
Current and Max HP are multiplied by a very precise factor that I DO NOT KNOW YET MATH AGH
Armor and Magic Resist are boosted slightly, and can be further increased by Shadow's further passive, explained below.

The balancing is fairly hard for the mode to mode transition, but this is all hypothetical so far anyways.

And then each of them enjoy a small perk all their own:

STYGIA FORM:

Stygia is normally a ranged attacker, and will behave as such at range, but if he closes to melee distance, he begins to use both sword and gun, and behave like a physical attacker. I'm thinking, jack up the attack speed x2, seeing as he gets no bonus from AD anyways.

SHADOW FORM:

Shadow absorbs energy from enemy attacks, converting it into bonus Max Health, Armor and Magic Resistance. This is measured by a buff that decays moderately quickly after some time OOC.

Little bit complicated, yes yes. But now onto the active skills!

STYGIA:

Q: Z3 Frag Shell

Stygia loads and fires a special shell that detonates in the air and showers a small area with sharp metallic fragments, causing damage to anyone in the area. These fragments remain for a short time, damaging and slowing enemies that walk on them.

W: Z3 Enhanced Power Armor

Increasing this skill passively increases speed by 1% per level, in Stygia form only.

Active: Stygia activates a set of small jet boosters in his armor, dashing to his target. The target is shocked and deals reduced damage to Stygia for a few seconds. Meanwhile, Stygia doubles his passive speed boost and gains the ability to auto attack while moving for the duration of the foe's debuff.

E: Z3 Skybreak Grenade/Stab of Terrus

Stygia stores up to three of these babies at a time, and regenerates them over time. He can activate the ability to consume one charge and give his next attack bonus damage and knocking the target sky high. He can also use the ability up to three times to increase the duration of knock up and damage, but the skill also has a regular cooldown, and it gets longer for each charge.

These stacks can carry over into Shadow Form if Stygia transforms while he has them. If this happens, the buff becomes Stab of Terrus. Calling upon his race's god of ground and rock, Shadow's next attack raises stone swords from the ground, expanding in size and power for each stack of buff on him.

R: Z3 Tech Predictive Battle Visor

Stygia extends a highly classified visor from his suit, bringing it in front of his face. He can then mark 3 Primary (Champion) targets and 5 Secondary (Minion/monster) targets. Once the skill is reactivated, his suit predicts the best pattern and strikes with machine efficiency, dashing from one target to the next and striking a heavy blow, applying on-hit effects. If he marked at least one Champion, he will always end near the last champion he marked and begin autoattacking.

SHADOW FORM

Q: Rage of Pyrus

Shadow infuses his claws with the burning rage of the god Pyrus, using them to cleave an area in front of him, apply on hit effects on each target hit, and taunt each target for a couple of seconds. He takes 50% reduced damage from taunted targets.

W: Barriers of Aerus

Shadow calls on the winds of the goddess Aerus to create two walls of spinning blades in front of and behind him a ways. In addition to damaging anyone trying to walk through them, all allies between the walls are energized by the power of lightning, granting them a buff depending on their class, i.e. Marksman get AS and AD, Tanks gain Magic Resist and Armor, etc. If a character is listed as having only one class, the bonus they receive is doubled.

E: Hallucination of Hydrus

Shadow uses his shamanic powers once again to call on the god Hydrus. He creates a watery barrier around himself, and when struck by an Ability from an enemy, the bubble shatters, revealing that it was merely an illusion a moment before the attacker is stuck from behind.

Like Stygia's E, it has 3 charges that regen over time. You can use up to 3 at once; one simply teleports Shadow behind the offender, two will teleport and attack the offender for moderate damage, and 3 will do all that and stun the target for a short duration.

If you switch back to Stygia, the buff becomes Z3 Hydrogram Generator, and the animation will involve Styg phasing in behind his target at one charge, charging up his blade and delivering a heavy blow at two charges, or charging both gun and blade for a stunning combo at 3 charges.

R: Serpentine Shadowblades

Shadow roots himself and summons a twisting path of blades to hunt down his foes. Players control the "snake" as it moves around the battlefield. The snake gains more blades each time it hits a foe. Champions can grant one blade every few seconds, but a minion or monster can only grant it once. The targets will receive damage from every blade that hits them, and although it will be a small amount, it also stacks a 5% speed debuff up to 10 times! The snake has a turning radius of course, a small one, but it's there.

Blargh. I'm all typed out. Think I'm gonna go ride some horses and braid my hJUST KIDDING IT'S LEAGUE TIME! Until then give me your feedback! Huzzah!

Kyle, out!

ElementLlama

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

4 Weeks Ago

Haven't read abilities since I'm a lore person.

First thing, **** YEAH Zuan will always exell in pumping out crazy freaks with an inibility to be boreing. Your lore is great. You introduce the character, introduce what they are and tie it into the current lore without contradicting what Riot already has.

I have two final things to say… what is it that allows Nocturne to manifest while your dream shaman needs a host?

And, shut up and take my IP!

KyleOmega9001

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementLlama View Post
Haven't read abilities since I'm a lore person.

First thing, **** YEAH Zuan will always exell in pumping out crazy freaks with an inibility to be boreing. Your lore is great. You introduce the character, introduce what they are and tie it into the current lore without contradicting what Riot already has.

I have two final things to say… what is it that allows Nocturne to manifest while your dream shaman needs a host?

And, shut up and take my IP!
Well, reading Nocturne's bio, I saw that they had "bound him to a nexus fragment, trapping him in the physical world." So I went by that and figured that whatever race they were, they needed some kind of binding or medium to stay in the world. That concept merged with another concept I had rolling in my head and voila!

Hell yes Zaun is a wack place! One of Stygia's quotes I thought up was "Zaun's Champions aren't all mad scientists, mutant freaks and undead horrors, you know. Just... most of them."

Also "You're making me sleepy. You won't like me when I'm sleepy."

ElementLlama

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

4 Weeks Ago

Lol. Garda from Naruto is reaching across space and time.

KyleOmega9001

4 Weeks Ago

Unfortunately, I stopped keeping track of naruto once I finished one of the Shippuden games. Who's Garda? :P

ElementLlama

4 Weeks Ago

Garra of the sands.

Creepy redhead with a demon shoved inside him. Scared of sleeping since it gives the demon total control.

KyleOmega9001

4 Weeks Ago

Oh, right, Gaara. :P How could I forget that guy? Jeez Kyle lol

KyleOmega9001

4 Weeks Ago

Anyone else have any opinions? Looking at it earlier today, I started thinking that perhaps it'd be better if the grenades/hallucinations refreshed only on death or form change. It's not like they'll stay in one form long enough to gain charges. :/

metaknight007

4 Weeks Ago

bump

KyleOmega9001

4 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the bump, metaknight!

I've been at work, and it has dragged the heck on. I got so bored I actually started making sketches of Stygia's armor. I'll upload them. Be forewarned, I am no artist. :P

The suit is powered by small tubes visible on the surface of the armor that contain fragments of nexus shards. They glow red, and the armor itself is black. I was hoping to hearken back to Urgot and Singed, but with his energy being boosted by nexus fragments instead of toxins or... zombie... juice?

Also, I have realized what his first skin would be. With all his gadgetry, it could only be... Secret Agent Stygia!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.46 MB, 11 views)