Season 2 World Finals: Summoner Icon Giveaway and Pro Showmatch

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The ChipperJones

Member

10-13-2012

@Cypherous But then would multiple reds post on this thread? Even if there was an account breach, I wouldn't think there would be multiple. Still your point makes sense.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

unkull

Senior Member

10-13-2012

I have a question regarding the Finals. If I am unable to attend for whatever reason in person to the event, will I still be able to receive my Riven skin since I bought my ticket?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cypherous

Senior Member

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clánnad View Post
@Cypherous But then would multiple reds post on this thread? Even if there was an account breach, I wouldn't think there would be multiple. Still your point makes sense.
I'm not saying its not an official site by any means, it just seems to me that the security they have laid out doesn't exactly seem fitting for something like this

Its unlikely that the website will be compromised but the fact remains that the security on the site thats potentially going to have millions of people entering their usernames doesn't seem to be very strong.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sentrygunner

Junior Member

10-13-2012

I'm agreeing with Cypherous here, can we at least get a reason for why a 3rd party site is being used for this? It wouldn't be an issue if it just asked for Summoner Name and Region because eh, who cares, nothing's getting compromised through that, but usernames are also required, which are different than Summoner Names and provide an extra layer of security as only you should know your username.

Why isn't this being done through Riot's webspace?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

Senior Member

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherousEUW View Post
I'm not saying its not an official site by any means, it just seems to me that the security they have laid out doesn't exactly seem fitting for something like this

Its unlikely that the website will be compromised but the fact remains that the security on the site thats potentially going to have millions of people entering their usernames doesn't seem to be very strong.
Anybody who posts on the forums is already putting their username out for everybody to see. And heck, I'm sure that a LOT of people have the same username as summoner name. So somebody that wants a username list could also hope this is the case and take all the names off the ranked ladders. The success rate would probably be high enough to be worth it.

And then there's the fact that they don't ask for a password, just the username and summoner name. So at worst, somebody can link usernames to summoner names. Again, I point to the fact that many players probably use the same username as summoner name.

I can see the concern, and I was a little surprised to see that they were using a 3rd party site to do this. But I also don't see any information on there that isn't pretty readily available anyhow.

~~~

Also, Riot:
I'm looking at the Server Region list on the site right now. I see the server HN12 listed twice. Given that HN1 - HN11 exist before it, and HN14 exists after, is one of those supposed to be HN13?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lowpack

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

10-13-2012

SO excited for today!! going to worlds BUT....I have not received my tickets yet....I don't know how i am going to be able to go but i really hope i get a reply!


Riot please help!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sentrygunner

Junior Member

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
Anybody who posts on the forums is already putting their username out for everybody to see. And heck, I'm sure that a LOT of people have the same username as summoner name. So somebody that wants a username list could also hope this is the case and take all the names off the ranked ladders. The success rate would probably be high enough to be worth it.

And then there's the fact that they don't ask for a password, just the username and summoner name. So at worst, somebody can link usernames to summoner names. Again, I point to the fact that many players probably use the same username as summoner name.

I can see the concern, and I was a little surprised to see that they were using a 3rd party site to do this. But I also don't see any information on there that isn't pretty readily available anyhow.
Nothing about posting on the forums shows your username. sentrygunner is my Summoner Name, and my username is something entirely different. Nothing shows my login username, not the forums, not the game client, nothing but the username box when I type it in to log in. It is an extra layer of security, and while it's not as important as your password it does act as a secondary password of sorts, and isn't information we should have to even give out for this (summoner names are all unique within the same server region).

The only reason I can think of for needing username is to prevent someone from grabbing all their buddy's Summoner Names and tossing them in to get them all the icon, but that's kind of a silly thing to protect against. There's no other reason I can think of that username should be required, and having this all on a 3rd party website when Riot has webspace that even uses our in-game logins as users already and has a couple of things (RaF, Tristana and Alistar unlocks) that use your username on the site just makes this whole thing needlessly suspicious.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cleantarget

Member

10-13-2012

So is the code to redeem the summoner icon going to be in the on the screen the whole time? or is it going to only show up when they take breaks/commercials? Also if they put it in the screen the whole time, will it show up when the first match(6:30) starts or will will it show up at 5:00 Pacific?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

Senior Member

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrutt View Post
So is the code to redeem the summoner icon going to be in the on the screen the whole time? or is it going to only show up when they take breaks/commercials? Also if they put it in the screen the whole time, will it show up when the first match(6:30) starts or will will it show up at 5:00 Pacific?
Just watch the finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrygunner View Post
Nothing about posting on the forums shows your username. sentrygunner is my Summoner Name, and my username is something entirely different. Nothing shows my login username, not the forums, not the game client, nothing but the username box when I type it in to log in. It is an extra layer of security, and while it's not as important as your password it does act as a secondary password of sorts, and isn't information we should have to even give out for this (summoner names are all unique within the same server region).

The only reason I can think of for needing username is to prevent someone from grabbing all their buddy's Summoner Names and tossing them in to get them all the icon, but that's kind of a silly thing to protect against. There's no other reason I can think of that username should be required, and having this all on a 3rd party website when Riot has webspace that even uses our in-game logins as users already and has a couple of things (RaF, Tristana and Alistar unlocks) that use your username on the site just makes this whole thing needlessly suspicious.
Thanks for clarifying on the forum thing. I was basing it solely off of the fact that when I log into the forums, it pretty clearly says "USERNAME" and not "SUMMONER NAME". It's probably pretty clear, too, that I'm one of those people who has the same username as summoner name. I started playing this in the closed beta, and it wasn't clear to me on that signup that the username wasn't going to be my actual in-game name. As such, I wouldn't notice that forum posts are showing summoner name vs. username.

Either way, it would still be a pretty viable guess for people trying to get a list of usernames to just try the summoner name as the username. But again, I don't see how being able to link usernames to summoner names is that big of a security issue. It's still missing the password, which doesn't go into the redemption page at all.

Regardless, if people don't feel safe redeeming it from there, nothing says they have to have it. I would be okay not unlocking the icon, since I don't plan on using it. But I'll still unlock it anyhow.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TinDaDragon

Member

10-13-2012

Hey guys,

I have a question. If I win, would I be getting the skin AND Riven for free?

Thanks