Ryze Players: Concerning Quints and Glyphs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGrayBuffoon

10-12-2012

I just picked up this champ and have been doing research and I notice that the top builds utilize either Spell Vamp or Movement Speed Quints and for Glyphs MR or CDR.

I realize runes are a often a personal preference but I would like to here from Ryze players on their choices and your reasons for doing so.

Thanks.

Magus Crow

10-12-2012

Spell Vamp Quints are typically used because Ryze doesnt typically build a spell vamp item until very late if he does so at all while the Move Speed Quints give him a bit more mobility since he typically runs around with either Sorc Shoes or Merc Treads and no other move speed enhancers.

For Glyphs I can really imagine why people would be going into CDR all that much. With Q passive, Frozen Heart and 4% off of masteries you've got yourself a 34% CDR already and that's before grabbing blue. It is also pretty non standard for a mid laner to go in with no increase in defense to the main thing that is going to be thrown back at him (outside of someone like Talon anyway).

Nathuhl

10-17-2012

I prefer to go for mana increases, since Ryze's spells get stronger the more mana he has.

bob000

10-17-2012

Ryze does tons of single target magic damage so I find spell vamp gives him considerable sustain in lane and in fights.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

Runes are generally for early game play. When you start, your benefits from rune/mastery are quite significant due to your low stats. But by 18 your natural stats alone plus that from items makes your rune/mastery wayyy less significant.

This is why getting mana isn't all that good. Its nice early but falls off very quickly and isn't very efficient to get anways.

Movespeed is an exception in that it stays useful all game long. Ryze really needs it too to dodge skillshots and be able to use his nukes, since his range sucksssss.

Spell vamp is ok but actually sucks early game. Even with a 100 damage Q, 1 quint is giving you 2 whole health back. Woopie. A HP5 would give you 3 health every 5 seconds by way of comparison.
Lategame, a 1000 damage combo gives you 20 health which is fairly irrelevant by then.

So, I would recommend movespeed quints.

---For glyphs you want Magic Resistance, either flat or scaling depending on your lane. It simply is wayyy more useful than anything else you'd get.
As said with Q maxed, frozen heart thats 30%CDR. Defensive adds 8.1%. Thats plenty. If you took offense for some crazy reason and only have 4%, then yeah you might grab another few percent, but MR is gonna be better.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

The rune page I use for Ryze has MPen reds, MR yellows, AP/Level blues, and MS quints. If it were exclusively for Ryze, I'd have mana or MR blues, but I use it for other mids where I prefer MS and MR to AP/Mana Regen.

Warrrrax

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
The rune page I use for Ryze has MPen reds, MR yellows, AP/Level blues, and MS quints. If it were exclusively for Ryze, I'd have mana or MR blues, but I use it for other mids where I prefer MS and MR to AP/Mana Regen.
You might reconsider. The stats chosen are smart but you want to get as efficient of runes as possible.

MPen Reds are absolutely a great idea. All magical damage champs should use them.

MR yellows aren't very good. http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_runes
They give 0.74 MR for a tier 3 rune. Thats AWFUL! Thats like 11 gold worth of MR.
In comparison a blue one gives 1.34. This isn't amazing either but is still almost twice as efficient.
Note that a MR/lvl gives exactly double the benefit at 18, which basically means either flat or per level are about equally good. Flat is way better early game obviously for a midlaner, but per level hits the break even by level 9 which is fairly quick into the game.

I would actually recommend yellow Health/lvl runes.. Health yellows give 5.3 health flat, but per level gives 19.5 at 18 which is much better. They hit the break even around l6.

AP/level blues are ok but Ryze doesnt benefit THAT much from AP. Especialy early laning when he mostly uses Q with its 0.2 AP ratio. Therefore,the Magic Resist blues are way way better for him.

MS quints as Ive discussed are my choice as the best.

EternalKing

10-20-2012

I play a lot of ryze. and what ive found works best for me is running MS quints, Mpen Reds, Hp per llv yellows(can do armor) and flat mr blues.
nd masteries i go 9/12/9 getting in masteires getting the early hp since his early game is where he needs the help.

i used to run mana per lvl, but i found it really hurts your early game and you dont really get a lot of damage out of it late game.

Shad0wspwn

10-20-2012

For Ryze I take;
Reds - MPen
Yellows - Armor
Blues - MRes/lvl
Quints - MS

Reds are obvious. armor is for his short attack range and the fact that he has no natural escape so armor help for AAs and when being ganked. Blues i like over AP because Ryze scales better with mana and it allows you to trade more often in your favor. Quints because of short range, he needs to be fast to get in close, also no natural escape so speed is very helpful, and you get no other MS items so he would stay at a slow speed all game.

Raven Filth

02-15-2013

i have play my ryze with pure mana on rune like for example . red=mana per lv, yellow=mana per lv, blue=Flat mana and quints= Flat mana its work nice at start game with 21/0/9 Mastery

also Red- Magic pen, Yellow -Flat Armor, Blue- CD and Quints-Flat Mana