Syndra Quality of Life/Useability changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ModestBanana

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Hey folks,

Just wanted to let you know about some useability/quality of life changes we're currently testing for Syndra and also gather some feedback to see if there's anything else we might have missed that would it would be appropriate to bundle with them. We didn't get Syndra's state quite right on launch, both in terms of simple power and in terms of spell timings, which in retrospect left her abilities both harder to use/more delayed than was appropriate and light on the actual pay off when executed correctly. In the last balance patch we buffed the damage, range and/or mana cost on her skills so now we're looking at tweaking the performance on her abilities themselves (this sort of stuff takes longer to do, hence the changes being split into two patches).

The key changes we're currently testing are:

1. Making her Force of Will more responsive by increasing the speed at which Syndra pulls Dark Spheres/Minions to her to throw and by removing the spell slot cooldown imposed during the grab (instead replacing it with a check that allows the throw to occur as soon as the Sphere/Minion's been pulled to her though not before).

2. Improving the timing on the Sphere hit detection from Scatter the Weak to allow more natural Q followed immediately by E plays. This can currently be done but can be a bit unreliable at moderate Q ranges from Syndra where intuitively you'd expect the combo to work.

3. Fixing the cooldown check on the ultimate so that it doesn't go on cooldown without casting, whether because the target died mid animation or because spellshields are being checked for at start of cast, not at point of missile impact.

4. We're testing a small range increase on her ultimate. This is something we're really cautious about, given the ult's damage can be very high
and higher ranges tested during development were extremely powerful. Given other aspects of her kit were somewhat different then however there's value in rechecking a longer range again to see if the previous problems observed still hold true or not.

In addition we've also got a number of bug fixes in the works that should also improve Syndra's play experience, in particular a case where enemies hit by both Scatter the Weak and a knocked back Dark Sphere sometimes only getting knocked back, rather than knocked back and stunned as intended.

As usual since these are changes in testing they're not set in stone and release timing's not confirmed yet, though we should be talking sooner rather than later.
Are these changes available on the PBE?
If not when will they be

Who is Sexy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2012

cool

Akuni

10-12-2012

Sweet. Looking forward to those usability improvements as I thought her damage is okay'ish already so... Hopefully you don't make her fotm there And thanks a lot for taking your time to improve her Meddler.

Small question though, are you increasing visuals aswell? I'm speaking about two things. 1st the spheres on the alternate skin being not very well readable (and kinda invisible for colorblind people) and 2nd general shere cast indicators missing atm imo (i.e. When using scatter the weak having indicators where and how far the spheres would go would be awsome. Of course that would look messy though. I propose small arrow indicators that are only visible to the Syndra player and which would adjust depending on Syndras position to the speres so you'd get a rough direction. I was looking to add a pic but I'm posting on phone so I'll come back to it later.)

Cheere, Akuni EUW

Edit: Added the picture. I think the idea itself is pretty self-explaining already but more pictures are always good ^^
I'm also leaving a photobucket link... As the attachment file looked a bit... small <_<

Said photobucket link - Use if your eyes bleed while watching the attachment

Lunaria

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Hey folks,

Just wanted to let you know about some useability/quality of life changes we're currently testing for Syndra and also gather some feedback to see if there's anything else we might have missed that would it would be appropriate to bundle with them. We didn't get Syndra's state quite right on launch, both in terms of simple power and in terms of spell timings, which in retrospect left her abilities both harder to use/more delayed than was appropriate and light on the actual pay off when executed correctly. In the last balance patch we buffed the damage, range and/or mana cost on her skills so now we're looking at tweaking the performance on her abilities themselves (this sort of stuff takes longer to do, hence the changes being split into two patches).

The key changes we're currently testing are:

1. Making her Force of Will more responsive by increasing the speed at which Syndra pulls Dark Spheres/Minions to her to throw and by removing the spell slot cooldown imposed during the grab (instead replacing it with a check that allows the throw to occur as soon as the Sphere/Minion's been pulled to her though not before).

2. Improving the timing on the Sphere hit detection from Scatter the Weak to allow more natural Q followed immediately by E plays. This can currently be done but can be a bit unreliable at moderate Q ranges from Syndra where intuitively you'd expect the combo to work.

3. Fixing the cooldown check on the ultimate so that it doesn't go on cooldown without casting, whether because the target died mid animation or because spellshields are being checked for at start of cast, not at point of missile impact.

4. We're testing a small range increase on her ultimate. This is something we're really cautious about, given the ult's damage can be very high
and higher ranges tested during development were extremely powerful. Given other aspects of her kit were somewhat different then however there's value in rechecking a longer range again to see if the previous problems observed still hold true or not.

In addition we've also got a number of bug fixes in the works that should also improve Syndra's play experience, in particular a case where enemies hit by both Scatter the Weak and a knocked back Dark Sphere sometimes only getting knocked back, rather than knocked back and stunned as intended.

As usual since these are changes in testing they're not set in stone and release timing's not confirmed yet, though we should be talking sooner rather than later.

sounds more like bug fixes than QoL changes

Zamóra

10-12-2012

Now who ever said Reds dont care about the opinions of the average LoL player should look at this. I bought the Syndra bundle and prayed that you guys would tweak her. Thank you guys soo much I look forward to playing her <3

OpheliaImmortal

10-12-2012

I really like Syndra myself (but get raged at for picking her)
Have you considered increasing her base movement speed? It is really bad with the type of kit she has.

DUNKED

10-12-2012

Didn't make enough sell on Syndra eh?

Skrapt

10-12-2012

These changes are great. I'd be very careful about increasing the range of her ultimate. She is already very strong in the right hands and with the other fixes could very easily become too strong.

If anything keep the range increase minor, or wait to implement it after you see what these other changes do. To be honest I'd rather have a base movespeed increase to 310 or 315 over the ult range increase.

KevinDelMarr

10-12-2012

Meddler, I want to use Rengar as an example here:

When he was released many believed he was underpowered, but as soon as he got a few buffs and major QoL changes, he quickly shot up into broken/OP territory by many players. Do you think now that Syndra has gotten major power buffs to all abilities, and will soon get QoL changes to make her abilities more responsive/easier to execute, that she will potentially enter some sort of overpowered territory?

I find her zoning and stun to be very effective in-lane as is, and I fear that she will become too powerful with the zoning and base power she has now. I can already imagine Syndra players landing every stun, hitting every Q, and getting out 3 spheres and annhilate\ing squishies for 3000+ damage within a few seconds with little effort and risk. I hope I didn't overexaggerate, but I am fearful for what she may become given super powered abilities that are easy to execute (Maybe Release Zyra is an example to use here)

Doublechris

10-12-2012

Can always rely on New Zealanders