Syndra Quality of Life/Useability changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LtFinnDiesel

10-17-2012

thanks for the reply

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

10-17-2012
16 of 23 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestphile View Post
Hi Meddler

Right now, to have a 7 ball combo, you need 35%+ CDR for it to be reliable

If the ulti is balanced based on 7 balls and not 6 balls, i think that would be a bit too much, considering
single target only.

I personally think making balls staying for 6.5sec is not going to make her overpowered, prehaps something that can be considered?

Also i am so glad to hear W fixes the minion throwing issue. However, is it possible to look at where the minion is when being "dragged"? Would it be fairer if the minion is always besides her when being dragged? (so the spell won't worn off and drop say a tibbers next to your team, or a super minion)
The ulti's balanced around a 6 sphere ult being the best you'll be able to pull off most of the time (be it due to spell timing, hectic team fights, lack of CDR or whatever). The 7 sphere case will however get a little easier with these changes since the ult now checks for spheres to pull in that are just about to appear (so a Q cast 0.1s before the ult will still contribute, whereas previously it would have been missed).

Gidoru

10-17-2012

Not to get ahead of myself here before her changes are even on the test server, but as far as i can tell while these changes are nice they quite simply will not make her good or at the place she needs to be.

Her ultimate takes way too long to set up for the amount of damage it does, which quite frankly, even with 3 spheres is at most a couple hundred more damage than say an ultimate like Final Spark that is not only aoe, has a shorter cooldown, has a massive range and doesnt take a huge amount of time to set up.

You either need to reduce the cooldown on Dark Sphere, make orbs last longer, or something else to make it easier to get the full damage out of her ultimate.

CGGCAGGAATAA

10-17-2012

Her mana costs are really prohibitive. I find her almost unplayable without a chalice, but lacking the kit to really kill someone without building full AP. Is it possible to address her mana problems similar to how Cassiopeia was handled, e.g. having mana returned on successful player hits?

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

10-17-2012
17 of 23 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grann Brigitte View Post
I realize that this thread is about discussing the current proposed changes to Syndra, but it would have been nice if Meddler would at least address my issue with her passive (posted on page 9), which I feel is something which absolutely has to be changed for Syndra to ever be anything but bad Orriana.

I just don't understand how you can even be looking at QOL and usability changes when a cornerstone of her design and flavor is pretty much just a blank space. The champion is incomplete: finish the concept and then polish it.

Look at other AP carry passives; they absolutely make the champion. Passives like Anivia's, Karthuses, Brand's, Katarina's, Ryze's- they add so much visceral coolness to the champions, and Syndra completely misses out on this. Even less unique passives, such as Cassiopeia's, Orriana's, Annies, at least have a noticeable and playstyle defining effects. Syndra's passive may as well be a blank white icon for the amount it does for her. In fact, it already is a blank white icon until you reach level 9. The fact that the weakest passive in the game doesn't even become 1/3rd (who am I kidding, the Q bonus is about 3/4ths of what this passive does) online until 9 is excruciating.

Riot does a really good job with design typically (I love orriana so much, and a lot of Syndra too) but this passive is just such a wild departure from the standard I am used to that it is actually outrageous.
As above I'd like to look at Syndra's passive at some point, particularly to get some more gameplay to it. At a guess though it's likely to remain a relatively minor passive with strong thematics though like many of our champions have, rather than a champion defining passive like Annie, Morde, Kennen etc have.

Oathie

10-17-2012

I'm not playing her unless her Dark Spheres give her vision. And her E has an increase in it's length and not it's width.

Seriously. She has so much potential (no pun intended) as a support. And i really want to play her as one.

Similar to Zyra, where AP does alot of damage, yet Support is also viable.

yes i main support, she has the potential of being a STRONG support. Please make it happen.

I love your work, (Ziggs and Varus), keep it up. Creative and fun all around.

Lulzn0twar

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
I've found it really good. Riot's a great workplace in terms of people and culture and Santa Monica's a nice area. Highly recommend applying if you think Gaming's an industry you want to work in and there's an appropriate position advertised.
Wait...

Meddler you're a Kiwi?!!!!!!!!

Bloody champion! Haha, good to see theres a kiwi working for riot, definitely making it a better place i should imagine! :P

(Im from Near Hamilton NZ hence my being so crazy :P)

ZodiarkSavior

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathie View Post
I'm not playing her unless her Dark Spheres give her vision. And her E has an increase in it's length and not it's width.

Seriously. She has so much potential (no pun intended) as a support. And i really want to play her as one.

Similar to Zyra, where AP does alot of damage, yet Support is also viable.

yes i main support, she has the potential of being a STRONG support. Please make it happen.

I love your work, (Ziggs and Varus), keep it up. Creative and fun all around.
Dark Spheres. Vision.

Dark =/= Vision, sir.

Godunderscor

10-17-2012

@Meddler

1. A lot of these changes are QoL fixes more than anything. Being her creator, what was your reasoning behind leaving these changes until now? Were her original spell functions intentional and if so, what was your purpose behind say - making Syndra Force of Will cast-time slightly slower than average?

2. In a thread a little while back, Xypherous mentioned switching the order in which Flat and Percentage Armor Penetration/Reduction works from its current order: flat then % to % then flat. Is anything being done on this front?
2a. How does one contact Xypherous?

XNinjaFuHiya

10-17-2012

I'm sorry to barge in on a totally unrelated post but, Meddler, what are you guys planning for Trundle?