Syndra Quality of Life/Useability changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZodiarkSavior

10-12-2012

These fixes should be incredibly good.

I mean, hitting them with her stun but them not getting stunned is pretty damn aggravating.

Call Me Fabled

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2012

I'm excited about this!!

I absolutely LOVE syndra.. I played 50-60 games release week with her (having moderate success.. Around 40% win rate, not the average 20%.. I'd attribute that to queueing with friends lower level than me though..) I bought her justiciar skin, and really love her playstyle. She is clunky, but this seems to address most of the problems I've had with her... The thing i'm afraid about is her coming out OP, then over nerfed later on..

Frickin Adorable

10-12-2012

who is syndra?

The Beekeeper

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Hey folks,

Just wanted to let you know about some useability/quality of life changes we're currently testing for Syndra and also gather some feedback to see if there's anything else we might have missed that would it would be appropriate to bundle with them. We didn't get Syndra's state quite right on launch, both in terms of simple power and in terms of spell timings, which in retrospect left her abilities both harder to use/more delayed than was appropriate and light on the actual pay off when executed correctly. In the last balance patch we buffed the damage, range and/or mana cost on her skills so now we're looking at tweaking the performance on her abilities themselves (this sort of stuff takes longer to do, hence the changes being split into two patches).

The key changes we're currently testing are:

1. Making her Force of Will more responsive by increasing the speed at which Syndra pulls Dark Spheres/Minions to her to throw and by removing the spell slot cooldown imposed during the grab (instead replacing it with a check that allows the throw to occur as soon as the Sphere/Minion's been pulled to her though not before).

2. Improving the timing on the Sphere hit detection from Scatter the Weak to allow more natural Q followed immediately by E plays. This can currently be done but can be a bit unreliable at moderate Q ranges from Syndra where intuitively you'd expect the combo to work.

3. Fixing the cooldown check on the ultimate so that it doesn't go on cooldown without casting, whether because the target died mid animation or because spellshields are being checked for at start of cast, not at point of missile impact.

4. We're testing a small range increase on her ultimate. This is something we're really cautious about, given the ult's damage can be very high
and higher ranges tested during development were extremely powerful. Given other aspects of her kit were somewhat different then however there's value in rechecking a longer range again to see if the previous problems observed still hold true or not.

In addition we've also got a number of bug fixes in the works that should also improve Syndra's play experience, in particular a case where enemies hit by both Scatter the Weak and a knocked back Dark Sphere sometimes only getting knocked back, rather than knocked back and stunned as intended.

As usual since these are changes in testing they're not set in stone and release timing's not confirmed yet, though we should be talking sooner rather than later.
Love what you're doing.

Can you look into making Syndra's spheres easier to grab with her W? I feel like there should be some sort of targeting system that goes around the sphere to make it easier to grab than having to pin-point it with the cursor.

Example: Jarvan IV's ultimate shows a ring around the character he intends to create an arena around. This would be spectacular on Syndra.

Thank you,
-Bee

RexSaur

10-12-2012

I dont think her ult needs that range buff.

It has about the same range as veigar ult(another spell know for the whole ''single target instagib''), would you like if you saw veigar ult with a range increase?I think not.

I mean if you do you might need to nerf the potential damage, cause then it'll be too safe for too much damage.

N49

10-12-2012

Make her support viable with Vision on Q casts.

Pretty please. ^w^

Sindor Nex

10-12-2012

If you guys actually pull off these fixes then i would be a very happy person. As of right now i feel that i wasted my money on her.

Prometheius

10-12-2012

Longer duration spheres. Seriously, ti takes forever for her to set-up a battlefield as is. Why not let her actually keep them around long enough to use after a burst?

Or lower CD on Q so she can actually get her set-up faster.

And mana costs. Her costs are obscene compared to other casters ad she doesn't have the wave-clearing power to back it up.

Atomoss

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzombieface View Post
I decided to not refund Syndra a while back. I knew things would be done to help her.

Make me proud. She can be so much more.

Same here. Nice one too.

ThaddeusMike

10-12-2012

Maybe this is off topic, but why do her orbs not do any damage on hit? I initially thought they did, but it looks like they don't. This is completely unintuitive and detracts from her flavor and from the satisfaction of playing her. Even just a nominal amount would still make her way more satisfying to play. Maybe not a QoL buff, but it just makes so much sense. She only has one interaction with orb placement, which makes her concept pretty irrelevant to gameplay. She has a ton of potential, but it just doesn't come across. The idea of her manipulating her orbs being an important positioning consideration the way Orianna's ball or Zyra's seeds are is really cool, but it only matter for one difficult to land shot, and then all it does is add a stun to an ability that already includes hard cc. I thought the mechanic was cool at first until I saw how little it really did. Yeah, maybe I can R-E into the enemy team, but that's a mid range combo on a not terribly mobile or tanky champion. Maybe making it easier to land will make up for the low payoff, but still. As other have said, she could be so much more...