Choosing a Top Laner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheEncrypt

10-12-2012

So, I've decided I want to practice top lane, so that I can be a little more versatile on a team and can fill another role. For the moment, I'm a pretty decent bottom ADC, or mid APC. I can even play support sometimes, with Janna or Taric.

However, I do tend to suck with melee champs, but that's because I just have a tendency to stick with ranged characters in most games. Right now, I do own Shyvana, Irelia, Singed, Blitzcrank, Udyr, Warwick, Jarvan IV, Akali...and a few others I can't think of right now. Which would be a solid choice to begin practicing with? I'm leaning towards Irelia, since she can get in fast and can generally take a fair bit of damage. Any suggestions would be great.

TheEncrypt

10-12-2012

Guess I should toss in that I have Cho'Gath and Xin Zhao as well.

OverlyRomantic

10-12-2012

Jax and Jayce are fantastic top champs. I would start with Irelia for damage, and Singed for that annoying tank.

TheEncrypt

10-12-2012

I do have Jax, but don't have Jayce. The only issue I have is I'm really not that good with melee champs, lol...But I don't really practice with them. I guess I should find some guides on general top lane gameplay.

Jesot

10-12-2012

Warwick is a highly effective and highly under used top champ. His sustain keeps him in lane with anyone and his kit assures a kill when you're jungle comes to gank. I've recommend learning him top.

Irelia is an amazing top, though. I don't own her, so I really can't comment much on that champ.

TheEncrypt

10-12-2012

What would Warwick's chances be against Jayce, I wonder. Are there any generic guides to top lane strategies? Only one I can find is on mobafire.com. It's pretty indepth, just wondering if there's any others.

Engrish

10-12-2012

Jayce, Irelia, Jax, Xin Zhao, Malphite, Cho Gath. Anyone with a gap closer or CC because you want to be able to kill the enemy AD carry later on. The meta is all about mobility and gap closers.

I would avoid champs with purely melee attacks like Udyr, Garen, or Warwick.

Azerax53

10-12-2012

I would say that Jax and Irelia are amazing choices. if you really want learn how to use melee use one of them. I'd probably suggest Irelia first though cuz then you can get the hang of melee mechanics and she is probably one of the best top laners. I use Darius and Garen a lot but that is because they have similar fighting styles. Darius can a fairly tricky since he really has no escape mechanism other than summoner spells but if you want to try out garen his is a fairly simple melee champion to pick up. plus he is only like 460IP points too.

TheEncrypt

10-12-2012

Alright, so popular consenus so far seem to point towards Jax and Irelia, with a focus on Irelia. I could definitely do Singed if the team needs a more tanky champ. Thanks for the posts guys, appreciate it!

PeacefulNomad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2012

Jax taught me most of what I know about top lane but I stopped using him when i discovered Udyr. I very rarely lose my lane since I started maining Udyr. Grab a few more guys to counter pick other tops (I'm learning rumble and like to go shen when hes not banned) and youll win alot more than you lose. The key to top lane is out farming your opponent while NOT pushing your lane and while also harassing the enemy so that you can get a kill when your jungle ganks. Jax is very good at that. Irilia is almost OP at that.