Bans issued for openly advertised Elo boosting

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Cpt America

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
They are skilled players who earned their ratings through their own merits. We felt that the two week ban, the loss of an income stream (as these players were often profiting from these activities), and a bunch of unhappy customers who have suddenly lost what they paid for was an appropriate punishment.
Sorry to be spamming this thread, but I play with a lot of my friends on a variety of my own alts and such (especially with my "noob" friends ) which is why this is frustrating for me as well - and I promise this is the last response I will make because I need to go set up to watch the VP debates! and get further sucked into WoW again haha...

But seriously, I understand your thought process about this - but In my opinion - I think the punishment should have been more severe. Players that stream through your portal are not just breaking the summoners code, but prerequisites for streaming through the streamers portal - and these guys are really spreading bad behavior. I know I am no saint at all really 2 weeks of suspensions is no big deal - it's not hard to circumvent their suspension anyway - they just are not streaming it - and with a weak slap on the wrists these guys will continue boosting - "just not publicly"... Just my 2 cents.

Shifu Kang

10-11-2012

damn i like this riot

Høt?høtGG

10-11-2012

for real some pro players maybe want to help a friend to get him out from elo hell

And some pro players actually getting money in order to help people to get out from elo hell and now riot gonna ban this people?

Because some kids got offended?

Oh look that guy have a pro friend and he go out from elo hell lets ban him.. nice logic... riot nice logic..

IWinByLosing

10-11-2012

What are your thoughts on this Yegg? http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2613199

KevinDelMarr

10-11-2012

And to think robertxlee was such a good guy

Provided it was THE robertxlee

Blaster

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Prince View Post
I don't think anyone is doubting they're skilled players but you're including the loss of income from streaming and unhappy customers from elo boosting into their punishment? That seems..well rather faulty logic.

The elo boosters themselves cause more harm than the ones buying the elo. Not only do they gain money from elo boosting but ruin so many games for the players.

People who play vs the boosters are going to lose their elo unfairly. The people on the team of the elo booster gain basically free elo. Then, when the rightful owner gets their account back, if they play ranked they give their teammates an unfair disadvantage.
No no no....

Elo boosters cause harm to low elo players
Elo boosties cause harm to higher elo players.
The discrepency between how much they hurt is not that much different. One carries people, the other uncarries them. I'de say the second one is far worse.When i lose because the enemy is simply amazing, i go, well ya, good on him. When i lose because my teamate goes 0-20, i get tempted to rage.

Ko Hakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainieDay View Post
Well its really not THAT big of a deal. to start talking about perma bans over something that hasn't been clearly said is a no no from riot. Sure its against the Terms of agreement, but god almost anything is against those with how broad they are, and they reserve the right to suspend your account indefinitely anyways.
I dont think I mentioned anything about permabans. I just said the action wasnt enough for me to feel justice was served. 2 week ban? Even if they banned every smurf account that person had, I question how this impacts the boosters much at all. Stream revenue? What is going to stop them from playing another account and streaming that?

I realize that Riot has few options available to actually impose punishments. For me, removing the Janna skin and possibly the booster's honor would feel more meaningful.

Riot appears to be cracking down on the crack addicts and slapping the wrists of the crack sellers, if you will excuse the analogy.

hanzo hasashii

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt America View Post
Sorry to be spamming this thread, but I play with a lot of my friends on a variety of my own alts and such (especially with my "noob" friends ) which is why this is frustrating for me as well - and I promise this is the last response I will make because I need to go set up to watch the VP debates! and get further sucked into WoW again haha...

But seriously, I understand your thought process about this - but In my opinion - I think the punishment should have been more severe. Players that stream through your portal are not just breaking the summoners code, but prerequisites for streaming through the streamers portal - and these guys are really spreading bad behavior. I know I am no saint at all really 2 weeks of suspensions is no big deal - it's not hard to circumvent their suspension anyway - they just are not streaming it - and with a weak slap on the wrists these guys will continue boosting - "just not publicly"... Just my 2 cents.
I agree! Go captain

Blaster

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko Hakoo View Post
I dont think I mentioned anything about permabans. I just said the action wasnt enough for me to feel justice was served. 2 week ban? Even if they banned every smurf account that person had, I question how this impacts the boosters much at all. Stream revenue? What is going to stop them from playing another account and streaming that?

I realize that Riot has few options available to actually impose punishments. For me, removing the Janna skin and possibly the booster's honor would feel more meaningful.

Riot appears to be cracking down on the crack addicts and slapping the wrists of the crack sellers, if you will excuse the analogy.
All bans are followed with honor removal. Meaning ya, honors going to be removed too.

Really the only forms of punishment more than two weeks would be A. Stripping their rewards and B. A higher level of Ban.
A. Doesn't really make much sense, no offense, because those rewards are due to them. And B. is too extreme. I don't understand what else you could have ment so i assumed you ment a harsher ban.

I love cat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainieDay View Post
No no no....

Elo boosters cause harm to low elo players
Elo boosties cause harm to higher elo players.
The discrepency between how much they hurt is not that much different. One carries people, the other uncarries them. I'de say the second one is far worse.When i lose because the enemy is simply amazing, i go, well ya, good on him. When i lose because my teamate goes 0-20, i get tempted to rage.
Not all elo boosties play ranked after they've been boosted. Every elo boosted account has to be played to get to the specific elo by the booster.

But I agree I think both are equally as harmful, that's why I think the punishments should be equally given.