Bans issued for openly advertised Elo boosting

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneVendetta

Member

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptise View Post
Not sure if yegg will reply to me on this one but i'm truly curious on somthing.

I myself actually know what robertxlee charges for elo jobs. even though iam far from a bad player, and i probably deserve my elo bracket of 1500-1700 which i hover at his rates are 100% of the reason why i never actually bought a elo job from robertxlee. he charges 50$ per 100 elo under 1800, and over 1800 it's 100$ per 100 elo. which is outrageous. resetting the player who bought their elojob is going to make them lose a LOT of money, and wouldn't this actually be sue-able? sure, account sharing is against the tos. and so is elo jobs. but paying hundreds of dollars, and then getting elo reset. while you can see they deserve it because they bought a rating, that is losing HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS. and getting banned for losing hundreds of dollars. i don't think resetting their elo is fair, because if they bought an elo job, they do not belong at the elo they will be at after, which means they will sink back down. giving them their rating they got boosted too i believe is fair, because they payed so much for it, despite it being against the tos. but removing their rewards for season2 (which is probably the main reason for buying a boost) and banning them are completely understandable. i think resetting their elo back is too far though. this could be just me, but we're talking about hundreds of dollars from this individual, against the TOS or not.
No one can sue Riot at the moment. At least not for something involving an account. They are currently exploiting (like every other online gaming company) the lack of protection online users have. Right now, goverment regulation in online activities is almost non-existant. So yeah, good for them I guess.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KaWraith

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptise View Post
i think resetting their elo back is too far though. this could be just me, but we're talking about hundreds of dollars from this individual, against the TOS or not.
Umm... how about no. If you bought an ELO job, you are a fool. complaining about being out the money is equally foolish. There is no possible lawsuit. The terms of use riot abides by leave them well within their rights to permaban anyone, for any reason. Even if you bought $10,000 in riot points and will now never be able to use them or access your account.

Think about it in terms of the legal system. If you pay somebody $5,000 to steal you a car; the cops will throw you both in jail; you don't get your money back, and you don't get to "keep" the car you commissioned to be stolen: even though you paid for it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swanhaven

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaqxinelol View Post
Bump. Red response to my paragraph please.
Wow, you're sure not a stalker or anything.

Creep.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HappyAndHazy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Good job Riot, I know 'Jaximus/Only nidalee" what's hisface has been doing it since season 1. Good to see you guys are finally starting to care.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BBQ CHICKEN

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Thank you! I was so tired of these people who claim it was not their account. They did not care whether they would win or lose.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MarzAlator

Junior Member

10-11-2012

Hmmmm...

A) I'm guessing you can only ban streamers since there isn't any other way to prove that they have shared accounts. So I don't see this being much of a change.

B) I don't agree people should share accounts or anything but did you ever think maybe those people deserve to be in higher elo and since they just started later on they got stuck with a lot of unskilled players. The same reason why I'm against a soft reset rather than a full reset. If people deserve to be high elo, just as you claim, then I'm sure they'll get back up there... Otherwise you're just making them freeze their main accounts untill playing the few games necessary / and use smurfs otherwise till the end of season 3. The fact is that people who start playing ranks later in the season I'm sure won't have a shot at a higher elo... it's a team game, so even if you play well, it's still incredibly hard to win games with unskilled players on your team. "We don't want to reset it to have a lot of people on different elo smashed up together". If you ask me that's the most fair way to do it. I'd rather play against good players since it would also imply having some as my teammates rather than just playing with and against unskilled.

How do I connect this with the elo boosting? Some people know how to play a specific champ to get higher in elo. Even if they're good with other lanes and such they play champs that they know can carry regardless and while some other people don't know how to do that exactly with that champion or a few others that are able to do so, even if they know how to play a good support/AD carry etc he wouldn't be able to climb out or at least not with a lot of luck. So I think it'll be good for people who are willing to play other lanes decently other than forcing people to learn to play a handful of champions to get themselves out. Anyways, does it even matter? I think people care more about getting out of elo hell than the actual price.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maxmike

Member

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
This is only the beginning. We're in the midst of a full analysis and will be issuing further bans once we've identified other players and accounts that have engaged in Elo boosting. This should happen in the next couple weeks.
I think one of the biggest issues with 1500-1600 elo is the elo boosted players. Thank you for doing something about this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hak3n

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatu View Post
But you can't disqualify a cheating team at the world's right? Justice? You know nothing about it..
Yegg has nothing to do with the tournament dumbass, TSM lost GET OVER IT, the team moved on, time you do it too.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OH NO ITS LU BU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Sweet Sexy Justice, Yegg. I like it. You get a Lu Bu seal of approval.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KaWraith

Senior Member

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicuriousBoy View Post
No one can sue Riot at the moment. They are currently exploiting (like every other online gaming company) the lack of protection online users have. Right now, goverment regulation in online activities is almost non-existant..
you need a tinfoil hat my friend. Facebook and Google take and sell your private personal information to the highest bidders. That is exploitation.

You have just as much right (if not far more) to play League of Legends, as you do to join your local country club... and Riot has a similar right to kick you out, or ban you from ever coming back and keep your money, based on the legal contract you signed with them as the terms of letting you participate. This has nothing to do with "online" rights, lack of government protections, or any such BS.

The only way I've seen Riot "exploit" people, is by having a free to play game. They are exploiting low barriers to entry, and the fact that you have tons of people to play against at basically any skill level. freebie moochers of the game are being "exploited" to provide evolving and consistently challenging "human opponents" for more fun experience for the paying customers. This in turn, (according to Riots evil master game plan) means that the moochers get to enjoy the same experience and they too might become paying customers.

It's all about as Evil as a purring kitten.