Advice with Jungle udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nithilak

10-13-2010

I have never jungled before so I bought udyr and decided I wanted to try my hand at it. I buy armor and 5 pots, im specced 0/21/9, and I run Arp, a mixture of mana regen per and dodge ( I am wroking on getting full dodge yelows), flat M resist blues and flat health quints, I take Pheonix with smite / ignite for my summoner abilities... I get into golem camp pop pheonix and spam it while focusing only on golem. after a few hits I pop a potion and smite/ ignite him, Yet I still get killed by him... as far as I know im doing everything right... why cant I kill golem at lv 1 with Udyr... looking for constructive advice as to what my problem is.

WasabiCannon

10-13-2010

Well your main damage output is magic so run magicpen runes.
I personally run a 9/21 masteries.
When I first started playing Udyr I ran AS runes.

Citizen Juicer

10-13-2010

I jungle with Udyr a lot, and have a lot of success with him.

For masteries, I go 0/21/9 for the experience in the utility tree, UNLESS there is a Zilean on my team. In that case go 9/21/0 for the magic pen.

My runepage is cookie-cutter: attack speed marks to proc phoenix more often, flat mana regeneration seals, flat cd reduction glyphs, and flat health quints. The flat health quints are the most important because without them the golem would kill me half the time.

For summoner abilities take smite and whatever; I usually take ghost. I tried rally instead of smite once and it just doesnt cut it.

As far as starting items, I almost always go support with Udyr, which means I'm not building a madred's, so I buy an elixer of agility and 5 redpots. The 20% crit chance and increased attack speed allow me to fly through the jungle much faster than with cloth armor. I know this might not be your style but its a viable option and allows you to level faster, which is worth 300 gold.

Take phoenix first of course. I max this first for the farming capability. Turtle should be maxed next, then you should be out of the jungle and you can allocate your remaining abilities based on your build/playstyle.

If you are doing it right, you should be able to jungle INDEFINITELY with Udyr. That means you shouldnt have to go back to the base for health or mana at any point. If there is no enemy jungler, then go farm the enemy jungle when yours is empty, that is, if you know you will be safe. I keep jungling until I have enough money to buy boots and a ruby crystal, and at that point I either go back to the jungle or start pushing lanes/ganking.

Feloner

10-13-2010

I do not main udyr but once In a while I play him (always jungling)
all I do is use my AS red runes... flat hp and hp per lvl seals, just with that and that 420 gold "thing" that gives you 15% AS you can easily jungle with any materies you like, just getting turtle first because with that AS you just don't die (I get smite and flash to prevent an early gank, also because udyr already has speed boost so if you get ganked you use smite to finish golem and flash to jump trough the trees)

ps. Imo cleanse or exhaust works better than flash with him but I like to play safe and not lose my blue because if that happens your jungling goes to hell.. and also flash helps a lot to stun enemies

onethreeone

10-13-2010

Go with flat armor seals instead of dodge seals, as it will help you jungle better. I kept dieing when following the guides as well, until I swapped in my armor seals.