[Guide] How to be an Effective Leader

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

War on Drugs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Let's get down to brass tacks gentlemen.

Solo Ranked is the "Gen-Pop" of League of Legends. It is inhabited by really ferocious (in their own minds), stubborn, and ego-driven players. No, I have never been to jail. I did watch Oz and Prison Break, so I know what Gen-Pop means. I like violent mini-series, write that down in your diaries.

I AM IN ELO HELL

No, you're in solo-queue hell. Much like jail, it can be extremely frustrating to be behind bars of low elo when you know you're destined for much greater things in life. You constantly rock out with your extremely uber kda ratios, you are often the "Make it Happen" guy. You are doing your job, and you're doing it well. Why do you lose?

It's important to realize that both teams are easily dismantled by a process I call Fail-Cascading. You need to understand that one little comment or action can start a chain of ultimate fail, not to mention, some serious smacktalk that sort of screens any enjoyment you might be having. Quite simply, you probably lost because the enemy team had a leader, and your team did not.

HOW DO I LEAD?

Let's review basic strategy in the game. Since you're usually the best on your team, this tells me you have a certain capacity for seeing the woods from the trees. You don't get lost in the task at hand, you are constantly many steps ahead with a complete awareness of what is going on in the meantime.

First, matchups. You should be the one to suggest a lane change based on poor matchups, preferably BEFORE laning really gets entrenched. You'll find that the best time to establish your leading presence to your team before any combat starts. Talk to your team at the champ select, talk to them when the game loads, and if you're respectful and assertive enough, the insecure types that RAGE will be a little more comfortable with an alpha leader guiding them to victory. Read this sentence one more time. It's the most important message in this entire post.

Second, Jungle Awareness. Call for help early. Make sure your jungler knows when and where he needs to be. He is busy getting exp as quickly as possible so he can start ganks. He is not (usually) fully aware of the situations in 3 lanes. Help him.

Third, Wards. Lead by example. On your first trip back, grab a ward, announce you are going to ward (dragon), and ask for some wards in top lane and maybe the enemy jungle. Wards do win games. Always, always, always be the major warder in your games.

Fourth, Teamfights. This is by far the trickiest and most sensitive situation in the game to be an effective leader. Hopefully you have established your alpha-ness, and your teammates by this point just sort of do what you tell them to do. Hopefully.

TEAMFIGHTS- Do's / Do not's

Do:
1. Call for a rally. Ping the spot. Go there.
2. List enemy targets in priority once everyone arrives. Don't do this too early. You want the primary list fresh in your teammates' minds.
3. Hit tab.... does everyone have their ults ready? Ask this anyway. Get your team engaged by asking questions you know the answer to so that they also understand the situation.
4. You should really be the only person pinging targets once the fight starts. You know how this works, don't mark a carry hiding in the back behind 4 enemies. Ping the champ that you know you can kill with minimal damage done to your team that isn't their tank.
5. Know when to B. Don't sit around under an enemy turret with their entire team sitting under it. Move, move, move. You know toppling towers is at all times the primary goal.
6. Be prepared to lose graciously. Sometimes, you just get outplayed or outpicked. There is zero sense in beating yourself or your teammates up over a losing team fight.
7. Adapt and change your strategies if you do lose a fight. Try to help your team see through your eyes.
8. Say "well done" often. Say "gj" often. Praise, praise, praise.....

Do Not:
1. Say anything negative to a team mate. Do not berate anyone. Do not act superior in any way to anyone on your team. This is often the first trigger for a complete fail-cascade.
2. Stop talking. Ever. Even if all 4 of your teammates are throwing serious insults your way, keep leading. You don't want their appreciation or respect. You want to win. You'll be amazed at how angry people will still follow orders if they know deep down they cannot do a better job.
3. Critique a build in the middle of a game. It's too late. Advise on what items to get next, but don't mock someone for getting a malady. It's entirely self-serving, and drastically lowers your chance to win.
4. Talk to the other team. Don't engage in friendly banter with your team. You need to focus on being and appearing as the leader. Everything you say should be relating to a victory. In normal games, have a blast, poke, prod, troll, talk about the weather. Ranked? Shut up and lead with your alpha-self.
5. Go overboard. You're not General Patton, and we're not saving a city from nuclear destruction. It's important to understand your role as leader is to provide subtle yet firm guidance, and to keep the morale of your team as high as possible.

BUT, MY TEAMMATES ARE TERRIBLE AND THEY MAKE FUN OF ME

I don't have time to teach you how to be a man, Nancy. I do however, have time to tell you that you're not a leader and I strongly doubt you've made it anywhere close to reading this far. Grow a pair, get some thick skin, go in to each ranked game with the mindset of victory, and do your best to get your team on board. That's all you can do. So either put up with the idiots you will inevitably be teamed with, or be content with losing.

If you're sort of on the fence about being a leader, here's a sample chat that shows some good examples of selfless leading.

================================================== ==============================================

*It's about 22 minutes into the game, first teamfight just went down, and you lost badly*

You: A couple of us got caught out of position. It's alright. They want to fight, let's give em one.

Warwick: stfu

You: Their Galio and Mord have been stacking armor, so lets get a little penetration. When we spawn, rush them as they all popped their ults.

Warwick: You're ******** terrible. Stop talking.

You: Remember, Yi, Sona, Morgana, Galio, Mord. Is everyone's ult ready?

Warwick: Noob

Tristana: Yes

Amumu: My ult is up in 35 seconds.

================================================== ==============================================

So, even with the Warwick being rude and arrogant in chat, chances are he listened to what you said. Also, by being so alpha-confident in yourself, you didn't have to stoop to counter his insults. This makes the rest of your team embrace you even more. Never, ever respond with a negative sentence, even if your mother is brought into question.

BUT SOMETIMES I CAN'T CONTAIN MY RAGE

I understand. And hell man, I've had my share of meltdowns, but I always feel so petty afterwards. I just lost my cool on a 13 year old. That's not very alpha. That's zulu. If you ARE going to lose it, at least make it count. Don't engage in typical NO U banter, lay them out. Remember kids, internet profanity has pretty much lost all effect, in fact, it makes you sound typical. Typical is boring.

It's 45 minutes into the game, and you just lost your 4th teamfight*

You: We might have one last chance here if they aren't smart.

Warwick: Are u still talking? No one cares bro

You: They aren't pushing. This gives us one more chance. We're gonna stun and ult Galio. His ult is why we keep losing. Let's take him down asap, I will control Sona and we focus her next.

Warwick: *** this, u guys suk

You: Hey Warwick

Warwick: What noob?

You: You sound like my girlfriend when she is on her period. You play even worse. Do you realize we lost this game almost entirely because of you?

Warwick: I am 5/4/5 noob.

You: You lost jungle control to a Yi. You never once killed dragon. You constantly attacked the wrong target at the wrong times, and you don't listen. It's extremely possible we would have done better without you. Next time, ward jungles, get to where you need to be, stop with the terrible build, get smite, and above all, listen to an alpha male when he's talking to you.

Warwick: @*&^# you &*^%@(*&(* you &(!*&^*^%# momma &^%@*&^@

================================================== ===============================================

Yeah...... I am logging off knowing that I did the best I could, upset some angry insecure Mary, and above all, I know that next game, he will probably pick smite, look up some builds, and although the chance is small, he might actually ward the enemy jungle. In other words, much as the amoeba evolved to become human beings, all bad players have the ability to evolve into good players.

Knowing how to play the game is one thing. Being a magnet for your team to achieve victory is another. Before you make anymore whine posts about how bad your team is, man up and do something about it.

TLDR - Back to the front, fool.

JackInASphere

10-13-2010

Awesome guid and i completly agree with you. And btw I accidently clicked the downvote button...my bad

s0ny123

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Teh guide!!!

123birds

10-13-2010

add these
*Be the tank (Amumu of course : D) cause no one likes tanking and most people can play dps reasonably well
*YOU ward YOU jungle YOU give your team the extra solo lane and get dragon. Take the initiative so that you can actually show your team when to engage.
* If someone isn't positioned correctly tell them. Like Ezreal should be at the very back spamming his mega range stuff instead of up front trying to auto attack
*Tell your team to do ult combos. Examples are like Amumu->Morganna->Galio. This Basicaly wins team fights
*For the love of god FF janna/Soraka or you will lose all team fights
*Play with a friend who can play a support. By doing this you take out your teams 2 most important members (tank/support) and leave the dps to the unkown matchmaking hell.

All i can think of for now

War on Drugs

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123birds View Post
add these
*Be the tank (Amumu of course : D) cause no one likes tanking and most people can play dps reasonably well
*YOU ward YOU jungle YOU give your team the extra solo lane and get dragon. Take the initiative so that you can actually show your team when to engage.
* If someone isn't positioned correctly tell them. Like Ezreal should be at the very back spamming his mega range stuff instead of up front trying to auto attack
*Tell your team to do ult combos. Examples are like Amumu->Morganna->Galio. This Basicaly wins team fights
*For the love of god FF janna/Soraka or you will lose all team fights
*Play with a friend who can play a support. By doing this you take out your teams 2 most important members (tank/support) and leave the dps to the unkown matchmaking hell.

All i can think of for now
Great ideas. I usually pick up Mordekaiser for his staying power, and his mad ability to push. This usually crates a chain-gang effect, effectively pulling my team into the fray.

Talking about ults with your team is huge. When are they coming up? Who should ult first? Which carry should your Poppy ult and decimate? Get your team talking... thinking.... being tactical (as much as a game like LoL will allow anyway).

I should also mention:

If there is another budding young leader-type on your team, be the bravo male, and let the alpha male lead. The best leaders also double as the best followers.