Support Champion Question: I rarely play support...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeddyTeemo

10-10-2012

Hi I was wondering about playing support, I've never played support before and draft, I was trying draft games, and people keep forcing me into support play. I am fine with support but why do people whine at me when i kill minions in the lane?
Whats the point of playing support and not allowed to farm?

TehomCD

10-10-2012

Basically, support are champions who are pretty strong with minimal items, so the idea is for you to build gold generation items like philosopher's stone and heart of gold, try to give map control through wards, and eventually get very cost efficient aura items like Aegis of the Legion, Zeke's Herald, etc.

Supports are paired with AD carries, since they're the champions that scale the best with gold and don't gain as much punch from levels as mages, so being in a duo lane doesn't hurt them that much, and can be protected much better with a support.

It's a common misconception that playing a support is pretty boring. Assuming the players are around the same skill, supports are actually the ones who make plays in lane and usually determine who wins the lane. They're the ones who should be doing most of the harass, zoning, and foiling and setting up ganks.

TeddyTeemo

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
Basically, support are champions who are pretty strong with minimal items, so the idea is for you to build gold generation items like philosopher's stone and heart of gold, try to give map control through wards, and eventually get very cost efficient aura items like Aegis of the Legion, Zeke's Herald, etc.

Supports are paired with AD carries, since they're the champions that scale the best with gold and don't gain as much punch from levels as mages, so being in a duo lane doesn't hurt them that much, and can be protected much better with a support.

It's a common misconception that playing a support is pretty boring. Assuming the players are around the same skill, supports are actually the ones who make plays in lane and usually determine who wins the lane. They're the ones who should be doing most of the harass, zoning, and foiling and setting up ganks.
Thanks TehomCD

i guess I am not really the support type then, i prefer to have the same minion kills as my lane partner or at least some to help buying items...but my lane partner was whining so much even when i have 4 minion kills when he had 40 minion kills from auto attacks.

Kaalika

10-10-2012

From what I gather, support doesn't really buy items. There's a post somewhere on here asking for a small goldshare system to be added to the xp share system when a lane partner lasthits a minion. The suggested system needs tests with real numbers but would add a lot of depth to the support role.

Support can be fun with a good carry who knows the support's limits as well as their own champ and can follow through on plays accurately. But you're always starved for cash and if the enemies take down your wards you're often screwed out of buying anything at all.

You set up masteries and runes to get some gold coming in even at the start, but because gold items don't pay off until late game you never get the chance to make the interesting build choices that give variety to your play. Maybe in midgame you get to pick different boots depending on the other team, but you pretty much get boots, philo, hog, upgrade boots, then maybe have time to get shurelias and the game is over. If it's not over then buy aegis then it's over before you have to choose which other aura item to get.

I found the best game I had as support so far was when my lane partner allowed me to lasthit everything until level 3. Then because I was able to buy items, we out-sustained, zoned the enemies pretty hard, killed them both, and got more items. Game just got better from there.

Second best as support the carry was Ministry and knew what he was doing. I messed up a lot because I was so confused at supporting someone who was that competent. xD

Ideally, the support gets gold from assists and team towers + dragon. But it seems never enough money for wards...

AJStarhiker

10-10-2012

I usually add gold gen runes as well as masteries that boost gold for assists. Still, support can be rough resource-wise. I remember seeing a post last year asking for a ward generating item similar to Wriggle's Lantern, but for AP/castors instead of AD/autoattackers.

phil002

10-10-2012

i play taric quite a bit and thouroughly enjoy it. there are times where i feel like even though i get no kills i was the reason for winning several team fights and the match. feels so good to go 0/0/20 thats when you know you are doing your job.

another thing ill add is that supports need to get creative in farming. the gold regen items help, and there will be times to last hit especially if your carry needs to go back to base often. you can stay in lane and harass/last hit while they b back to heal/get mana/ spend money

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2012

A large part of the support role is ensuring your lane partner, who should be your team's ranged AD carry, gets as fed and as built as possible as fast as possible. You cannot do this if you are stealing his farm.

Rush Philosopher's Stone and Heart of Gold(but don't let this prevent you from buying at least one ward per back, ideally even more), and take starting gold and gold generation Masteries, and gold generation Quints, and you shouldn't have much trouble supplying wards and eventually building items, which you do not need as early as any other role.

You are there to protect your carry, harass lane opponents if you can do so without pushing the lane or overusing resources, ward against ganks, and CC to help secure kills when you have an opportunity. You should ensure that as much gold and experience as possible goes onto your AD carry instead of yourself, and you should sacrifice yourself to ensure the carry's survival if a situation arises where it's one or the other of you.

This does not mean you are any less important then any other role - however, your being fed is not a priority.

Flaus

10-11-2012

The whole point of the support role is to allow your team's ADC to get as much gold as possible without being shut down or prevented farm, while providing vision and aid to the rest of the team. If you are taking your ADC's farm then you are preventing him from earning as much gold as possible. The ADC is capable of doing much more with gold earned than the support.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaus View Post
The whole point of the support role is to allow your team's ADC to get as much gold as possible without being shut down or prevented farm, while providing vision and aid to the rest of the team. If you are taking your ADC's farm then you are preventing him from earning as much gold as possible. The ADC is capable of doing much more with gold earned than the support.
Assuming you have a 'capable' ADC, which isn't something that happens at lower skill levels. (Even if you're playing the ADC; new players don't have the skills to make use of that extra gold at the expense of starving another teammate.)

Khizan

10-11-2012

IMO, the biggest mistake I see new players making is trying to play the meta at low levels.

It seems like it's a good idea, getting the practice. And it would be, if it weren't for the fact that the 0-cs support meta is designed for a team where your ADC is capable of taking full advantage of a lane's worth of farm. When they're not and they're only getting maybe 2 of 6 per wave, you're just pissing away a lot of gold trying to play the meta with a team that's not capable of it.

I did this all the time myself, trying to play a 0-cs support when I was low-leveled.