Who's better for learning support, Ali or Leona?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aschenn

10-10-2012

Leona is very strong bot lane. I'd earn Loena, since, Ali is banned most of the time

AvariceX

10-10-2012

You'll never get to pick Alistar.

If you want to learn a true support learn either Sona, Janna, or Taric. All of them are good supports and all bring a lot to teamfights later in the game. Soraka is a mediocre support and her lane is helpless while her W is on cooldown.

Leona and Blitz are both good to learn so you understand kill-lane support.

Morrocc

10-10-2012

Thanks for the advice guys, I think that I'm going to stick with Leona. I definitely have noticed how often Alistar's banned, and I don't really want to play any of the squishier supports because I'm not great with positioning yet and the Holy Trinity of AD carries seems to have an inordinately easy time with destroying me.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

10-10-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I have supported with both, and the style of their support is totally different. Sona support is also different. I don't think with either champion you can "learn support", but with either one you can learn how to support with them.

That said, I like Leona. She isn't a pokey harass support, she just helps the ADC go in for kills. If Alistar is available I use him in the jungle.

For Leona, I run MS quints, armor reds and yellows, and MR/L blues. You are going against an ADC and the extra damage helps. I also use 1/15/14 masteries for HP, movement, and gold stuff. Then i use flash/exhaust for summoner spells. My build order is boots, 1 ward, 2 pots. Then HoG while keeping the river warded. After that, it depends how you're doing in lane, but I like to build armor to keep the ADC from hurting me. Aegis or frozen heart is a good later item, but I've been told I should build a second gp/10.

Hope that helps!

Engasta

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padagi View Post
Neither?

Learn Sona + Taric + Janna, in that order, instead. If you can win with them, you can with with Ali. Leona I don't know because she is one of the 14 or 15 champions I don't deem necessary to even own.
I strongly agree with this. Alistar and Leona are best when played aggressively and that require you to know your match ups well. You have to be able to judge whether or not you can engage the enemy and rely on your carry to follow up. You can deflect and play passive all day with Alistar if you want to, but its better to learn support fundamentals before picking up Alistar.

orc72

10-10-2012

Leona works great with Ezreal and Graves. Every other ranged ad carry doesn't work with her. As far as playing her, start with Q, max W first, run flash ignite. Your role is to wait till graves and ez have a dash and burst damage (level 3). Then flash + stun + ignite followed up with a E to snare them in place for a easy first blood. After that just E+Q everytime your AD carry is ready for a kill.
Leona works best with an assassin btw. If you have a ranged ad that can solo top, run leona + pantheon/jax/talon/any one else with high burst damage and a gap closer. You will completely shut down there bottom lane. Me and my friend average about 15 kills by 20 minuets as leona pantheon.

Ali works with pretty much every ranged ad. I don't know how to play him so i cant really help you. If you want to do ranked though, alistar will always be banned.

Fredgerd

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrocc View Post
Pretty much the title question. I've played Leona a few times before and did fairly well, but only because I queued with my friends (who are all much better than I am). Solo queuing support is the only role that I am truly uncomfortable with, so I want to start improving with a tankier champ. I can't land a clean skillshot for ****, so I don't really like Blitzcrank. So who do you guys think is better for a new support, Alistar or Leona?
Neither. Especially if you can't Skill Shot.

Go for Sona, Taric or Soraka. They are the best learning supports.

Guancyto

10-10-2012

If you already own Leona, go with her.

Playing Leona is ultimate speed training in gauging engagements. This is true of most initiators, but Leona does it earlier, more often, and is more unforgiving. If you choose a bad time to engage the enemy on Ali, your ultimate will at least keep you alive for a bit. If you choose a bad time to engage on Leona, you are dead.

She's very all-in, and very aggressive, and very fun. I recommend her.

Of note: her skillshot ignores minions. There are very few champions that can say that, so unless your enemies are very good their skillshot-avoiding instincts are all wrong when facing her. They'll try to run behind their line, because that will save them from blitz hooks.

It won't save them from Leona.

Scatman Kyle

10-10-2012

If you're playing non-draft matches, I'd suggest learning Alistar. He goes well with any carry, and is good to learn how to engage, how to disengage, how to play aggressive, and how to play passive. He also provides a decent amount of defense to help you when you get caught while deciding where to ward or whether it's worth clearing a certain ward.

Leona is a bit more tough because you have to snowball pretty hard to make effective use of her. If you can't stand toe-to-toe with your opponent in lane or you can't take much damage as Leona, you're effectively useless for a long while.

In terms of who's the best character overall for learning support, I'm a big fan of Janna for generally the same reasons I listed Alistar. The main difference in playstyle is that she's less tanky, but her ability to engage/disengage is a lot more influential later on in the game, regardless of how far ahead or behind you are.

Morrocc

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post

Of note: her skillshot ignores minions. There are very few champions that can say that, so unless your enemies are very good their skillshot-avoiding instincts are all wrong when facing her. They'll try to run behind their line, because that will save them from blitz hooks.

It won't save them from Leona.
This is why I like Leona more than Blitz. I don't have much trouble actually aiming skillshots, but I'm not good at catching the right targets when there are other things that I can get tripped up on. I guess that that's why I don't like Ezreal much either.