@Morello: Let's talk Varus

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blarghlar

10-12-2012

I always wondered what the impact would be if his ult applied 3 stacks of blight on targets the tendrils root.

I also feel something could be tweaked around his passive / w but ways for that have been suggested by numerous people already.

Jericson

10-12-2012

From what I have felt playing Varus is that he is a champion all about choices. Every ability and his kit make you make choices. His passive can make you decide whether you want to CS before hitting champs or just attack. His Q, although a bit clunky, makes you decide between damage and efficiency. Using E and R at the right times can also make a big difference. At the beginning of a fight they can lend a lot of CC that is necessary. However, waiting for a better cluster of enemies can sometimes be better if the enemy does not have a strong engage.

And then there is the W procs. First, W is a great help in the laning phase in last hitting. That extra AA damage is noticeable. The way I usually play Varus is that the W procs are perfect for small skirmishes and buff control. In the mid game the stack procs can help secure kills in small engagements. When taking baron and Dragon, sometimes it is better to proc the stacks in order to get chunks of health down to throw off smite steals.However, as the game transitions into late game, I find the procs are more for extra damage rather than relying on the procs. Yes, you can focus down a single target by focusing on procs (have done this numerous times to remove a fed Mundo from a fight) or you can play as most ADC in late game and focus on the auto attacks. If you don't need to proc the stacks to ensure a vital kill then sometimes it is worth it to save your skills for the AOE.

These decisions are part of the reason why I love Varus. He relies more upon in the moment decisions then other ADCs that I play (Kog, Ashe, Sivir). Even though his kit can feel kind of clunky through micromanaging the blight stacks I find that it does become easier over time.

Zeus the Loose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2012

I play varus pretty regularly in ranked, and I'd say im quite decent. In regards to blighted quiver, I only find it useful for its poke potential in the lane. Varus has 575 range, which is slightly above average. If you can poke with 3 auto attacks followed by either a fully charged Q or E, then you're good to go. But of course you'll want to make sure you aren't missing cs. In regards to blighted quiver in team fights, it's quite hard to detonate those stacks efficiently. However, blighted quiver isn't completely useless because you need to remember it gives extra magic damage on hit

Daemon

10-12-2012

I propose a change that might or might not be OP.

Hail of Arrows: If Hail of Arrows deals damage to an enemy champion, Varus' gains movement speed equal to how much they are slowed.

I feel like that would give him a bit more mobility, and the potential to escape ganks. It's not an Ezreal or Corki level escape, but it is something.

XElement

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Sorry for the lack of response, incredibly swamped with work at the moment. Would love to talk about Varus' design process, current state and comparison with other champions in detail and will return to this thread for that. Will be at least a few days and possibly a bit longer than that though until I've got time to do so properly, apologies.
How do you feel about the one popular Varus thread?
About his W and passive switching.
Passive would be the blight stacks and extra damage per lvl.
His W would be a AS % and active would double it for a short amount of time.

A Jolly Kabuto

10-12-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...+varus+passive
I liked the idea proposed in this thread a lot and I thought I might leave this here. Varus has a lot of potential to be really enjoyable to play as, but unless you are playing him in ARAMs he just feels somewhat lackluster and unrewarding. Balance team has probably seen this by now anyway, but w/e it's here just to ponder

Hidden Sniper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2012

Well, he seems really balanced. I mean REALLY balanced. I think most people don't give him enough credit. He does things better than Vayne could for instance. The only time Vayne will have more damage is against someone with over 100mr (with the three shot thing). In return he has a better lane period, poke, utility and a cc ult that 100% of the damage can spread along with the bind duration. I foresee him being heavily played in the near future or very soon. On another note, the last 4 pentakills I've witnessed have all been from someone playing Varus.

The only issue I see, is his ult. Maybe if you let it spread if it doesn't hit anything at the end of it's range? Seems like the ult is kinda buggy still also. I hear reports of people having issues with it every now and then. I personally see nothing horribly wrong with how his kit works... I mean Vayne's and Caitlyn's kits is such more of a mess compared to his (man mentioning them a lot). I like playing Varus when I actually get to adc... One more thing that "may" make him Op though... Reducing some cast time on his aoe slow, right now it seems... Sluggish, or like it lacks a tad bit of range, something like that...

LtFinnDiesel

10-15-2012

bump for varus justice. Personally i think increasing varus's AA range to 600 or so would help. Most ADC's w/o an escape have longer range than he does.

ADCisMyReligion

10-15-2012

There was a really good Varus thread a while back about swapping his W and passive. Or swapping something, I don't know his skills really off the top of my head but it had hundreds of upvotes and made sense I'm sure one of you know what I'm talking about.

Draznath

10-15-2012

Bumpity Boopity! Varus love please! He's one of my favorites to play as, but can feel lackluster compared to other AD carries.