@Morello: Let's talk Varus

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Swarm of Koala

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
A lot of this makes sense, and is the cost when you try to add skill via combo mechanics - sometimes it can be harder than its worth.

Meddler, Varus' designer, can probably talk a bit more nuts and bolts on this specifically...I'll see if he can join the thread
I'd like varus to see some QOL tweaks, that's really the only thing keeping him from seeing much use.

xethik

10-10-2012

It would be nice if Varus' Q had a lower CD if you just shot it off instantly as opposed to holding it down so that in team fights it didn't feel like you can only proc your Blighted Stacks twice. That or having his W have some sort of active.

Noric

10-10-2012

I would most definitely like to see Meddler's opinion of Varus atm

Sharag

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaoil View Post
In your math did you factor in armor vs mr on supports/ADs. A huge part of the benefit of the w max is that it somewhat counters armor stacking
I did and unless you are laning against Taric, your damage is greater with E. Also, everyone has 30 base magres and most carries actually take MRES runes. They are often mres/lvl, but I, for example, take flat MRES on my carries because of the recent Sona popularity. So I have 40+ mres in lane at all times.

Quote:
A lot of this makes sense, and is the cost when you try to add skill via combo mechanics - sometimes it can be harder than its worth.

Meddler, Varus' designer, can probably talk a bit more nuts and bolts on this specifically...I'll see if he can join the thread
Thank you for taking the time to answer in these times when time is a precious thing indeed

Panwar

10-10-2012

I think proccing blight with Q is very strong when used as an execute against enemies that have flashed/escaped beyond AA range.

The Camel Rider

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharag View Post
I'm not going to argue about his strength/weakness or how OP/UP he might be, rather, I would like to talk about his design and how it feels to play him.

I don't like the way his Blighted Quiver works. It's not very fulfilling in regards to the rest of his kit.

Whenever I try to "optimize" my play and use an ability after every 3 auto-attacks, I can't help but feel bad.

If I trigger the stacks with Q, it's most often the shortest Q and thus minimal damage from Q. That feels kinda wasted. Not to mention that you want to save that Q to snipe low-hp fleeing enemies when they flash away from you (very, very often).

Using R, his ult to trigger it is also in rare situations as you will most often want to use that ult as initiation or help in escape.

So, you pretty much have just E which is also often better to use earlier in fights due to the utility it provides.

I know these are choices to increase his gameplay, but I think their "cost" is too high. Whichever choice I make, I often wonder would the other choice be better and I always feel like I lost something.

Maybe that's just me. What do you think? What do other Varus players think?

P.S. I know you (and all the other Rioters) are now swamped with the Championship, but I'd be grateful if you could share your thoughts on the matter (now or after the finals, same to me). Thanks!

When varus first came out, I knew that these would be his problems. His "steroid" is nothing, especially out of laning.

Blight proccing is only worth doing mid-game. Late-game, just save your abilities or initiate with them.

Insentience

10-10-2012

Please leave Varus alone

Alexandra Avdey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:

You should probably fire him, 'cause good designers make you feel like you are choosing between several positives, bad designers make you feel like you are choosing between several negatives...well...Varus definitely feels like the latter.

Bagz2

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra Avdey View Post
You should probably fire him, 'cause good designers make you feel like you are choosing between several positives, bad designers make you feel like you are choosing between several negatives...well...Varus definitely feels like the latter.

Eh I like the champs that he has made(ziggs, varus and....Syndra? idk about syndra)

He makes unique champs that are UP, which is better than bland and OP champs

ChoseOne

10-10-2012

Varus is not that bad. o.O He's like an ashe with more burst and an as steroid