Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evollove

10-21-2012

Just wondering I am a big fan or Angel heros. There is kayle but she is a range dps / support champ. I want a skin or a champ that is intimadating and looks tough. Something that makes you go danm that champ looks kick ass. Something like Tyrael from diablo 1 2 and 3. So is there any hopes of a really cool angel skin or champ coming out?

ploki122

10-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
I will admit that most of our interns are actually fast learners and making art on par with our full time employees. Or they are quickly after they start. That was not the goal, but I think we've been really lucky to get some awesome artists in.
So you're telling us you are looking for sub-par artists and it simply happened that they were good once you hired them?

KT Samurai

10-21-2012

Quote:
Yup. This is a fantastic thread. IronStylus really is representing our thoughts well here.
But what do you think?

We all know what IronStylus thinks but he seems to think we're in a good place right now and I think we aren't. With the recent release of another hyper-sexualized champion that was sexualized for no discernable reason you guys have left me wondering what's in the pipeline and how you're planning to introduce that variety that IronStylus likes to talk about. This game doesn't have that variety yet. You say "sexy champs will come" but we know that; no one is worried about not getting sexy female champs because that's mostly what we have now and by all accounts that's all we're going to get for some time.

Kuralesache

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2012

Hey Narya! I've got a couple of questions, if you've got a minute.

1) A lot of people are talking about soraka and lux and such... but can you say something about the redone art for Mordekaiser, from a little while ago? I was a mordekaiser main and I really didn't like the new art, and it hasn't grown on me since. He was a jagged, dark terror of a beast, and now he's kind of... pastelled and round. He looks kind of like he should be in The Lost Vikings or something. I understand it's subjective, and I don't mean to be insulting, I was just wondering if you could say a word or two about why it was changed.

2) Are you Russian, by any chance? I know a lot of Russians do that little parenthesis thing...)

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2012

Quote:
We have actually had quite a few interns! Many of them we have also hired. We have met quite a few people at conferences, mostly GDC. The neat thing about those conferences are we get a chance to interact with people, get to know them a bit, critique their work, etc.

I will admit that most of our interns are actually fast learners and making art on par with our full time employees. Or they are quickly after they start. That was not the goal, but I think we've been really lucky to get some awesome artists in. Pan, Bo, Brandon, Brian...these are all guys that are now helping us set the bar. We learn from them too...)

I have an art question... why is Elsee's skin so light? She's obviously somewhat inspired by a 'drow' spider theme (dat throne mmm) but then why not give her their trademark black skin? Or at least a charcoal, rather than this pearlescent white we see. Is there a design reason? She looks more like a vampire now, and this would have been a great chance to get at least some points with the 'more skintone variance pls' movement.

I want to know if this was kicked around at all and what the reasoning is for not doing it. It would have made her even more distinct from the other ladies, so why not? Was it considered?

Alex3omg

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
But what do you think?

We all know what IronStylus thinks but he seems to think we're in a good place right now and I think we aren't. With the recent release of another hyper-sexualized champion that was sexualized for no discernable reason you guys have left me wondering what's in the pipeline and how you're planning to introduce that variety that IronStylus likes to talk about. This game doesn't have that variety yet. You say "sexy champs will come" but we know that; no one is worried about not getting sexy female champs because that's mostly what we have now and by all accounts that's all we're going to get for some time.
Ah this this this.

Personally I love the way Elsee looks, very sexy and evil. It works. I also am ok with sexy teacher Fiora- it works. But Syndra? "Hey what if we just make her ****ty for no reason... ye" She could have had flowing robes of a mage but instead they dressed her up like a trolip. She's got a fierce/strong/proud personality so she would have looked great in a cool dress or something. Thing is, when you spam sexy like that on almost every female it cheapens it when it fits. Elsee has a weaker design because of Syndra's- does that make sense? ;/

AlteisenATX

10-23-2012

What is up with the new Fiora splash art? It wouldn't be so odd if it wasn't for the yardstick she was holding. Her thumb starts at around 17.5 or 18 inches and then the stick ends just below her wrist. That's about half a yard left meaning her hand and arm is ludicrously long. Other than that I think the artwork is fine and I especially like the cartography on the globe. That yardstick though is just throwing everything else off for me.

Afflictid

10-23-2012

Hey RiotNarya, speaking of the Syndra/Diana issue. Something similar. I have a hard time distinguishing TF and Syndra's minimap icons after the TF remodel. They look so similar in that small section. A lot of the time I find myself going, wait, they have a Syndra? I get a little confused some times.

Afflictid

10-23-2012

bump

TheZombieRuler

10-23-2012

Im not sure if anyone has asked this, but have you guys thought about making UI icons for the skins of champs? I spectate and watch streams a lot, sometimes i briefly see a champ with a skin that i dont exactly recognize and i thought it would be interesting to have new icons for the skins.