Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mojo Joe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

I'm actually a little disappointed, another circa 36-24-36 ish champ with a perfect hour glass figure with a c-d cup. She has that syndra feel being another 'dark queen'. I think the art looks good, but things are getting really repetitive in the female department. Hell, her torso part of her outfit feels like the last other few female regular or alternate skin outfits in appearance.

I would love to see some female monsters, or perhaps older women as mentioned before that have a level of badass-ness to them comparable to Malificent or Ursula... sadly the monarch-queen spots are taken by 18-30 some looking women. Glowy eyes, bust showing, 3 out of 4 showing belly button, 3 out of 4 offering hip, all pointing towards our left, all of them having gloves that go up bo near elbow to bicep.
.Attachment 543036

Its sad that dollar$ influence the look of your characters this much, the whole argument that people hardly buy Gragas due to appearance bares weight, but at the same time upon seeing the spider queen, I found I rolled my eyes rather than raising my brow compared to the likes of Rengar and Kha'zix

Riot, more diversity please. I like the concept, but the execution lacks the wow factor.

GlitchInDaSystem

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
He needs it right? You will not be let down. I will say more globally that League, as you guys know, is an evolving game. There are many reworks in store and our good ole' Cho is among them.
Personally I really like his current splash art, or at least the ones for his basic, Gentleman, and BCP skins. But then again I am rather biased because Cho was the first champion I bought, and the first one I spent money to get RP for his skins. Of course, nothing is going to stop me from playing as him, I just wanted to voice my opinion on this matter.

qolko

10-18-2012

Are you going to remake Annie's skins?

If so how high is she on priority list and how are you going approach her? recently you've been going bit more "sexy" with skins, which obviously wouldn't suit Annie that well ^^

xxramdom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

i kinda like maokai's splash art but he seems like he needs a knew one, and some skins wouldnt hurt

EDIT: and behold the thread killer strikes again.

xxramdom

10-18-2012

well..... ummmm..... bump? sorry i killed the thread its just kinda my thing.

Hope and Doubt

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxramdom View Post
i kinda like maokai's splash art but he seems like he needs a knew one, and some skins wouldnt hurt

EDIT: and behold the thread killer strikes again.
I do believe you are getting your wish this Harrowing.
Hello! I have a few questions and I'm not sure if you can answer them or not, but this is my best chance. To start off, whatever happened to Dragonmaster Swain? That idea blew up last year and I think the thread is still going. I love Swain's lore so much, and before I took a break, I would only play him.

Secondly, are we ever going to see a new Yorick skin? He hasn't seen a new one since his release and he's quite viable and played a decent amount now.

xxramdom

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope and Doubt View Post
I do believe you are getting your wish this Harrowing.
Hello! I have a few questions and I'm not sure if you can answer them or not, but this is my best chance. To start off, whatever happened to Dragonmaster Swain? That idea blew up last year and I think the thread is still going. I love Swain's lore so much, and before I took a break, I would only play him.

Secondly, are we ever going to see a new Yorick skin? He hasn't seen a new one since his release and he's quite viable and played a decent amount now.
dont play swain but that sounds like a good skin idea. and a new yorick skin would be awesome.

chumbler

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillwind View Post
I'm actually a little disappointed, another circa 36-24-36 ish champ with a perfect hour glass figure with a c-d cup. She has that syndra feel being another 'dark queen'. I think the art looks good, but things are getting really repetitive in the female department. Hell, her torso part of her outfit feels like the last other few female regular or alternate skin outfits in appearance.

I would love to see some female monsters, or perhaps older women as mentioned before that have a level of badass-ness to them comparable to Malificent or Ursula... sadly the monarch-queen spots are taken by 18-30 some looking women. Glowy eyes, bust showing, 3 out of 4 showing belly button, 3 out of 4 offering hip, all pointing towards our left, all of them having gloves that go up bo near elbow to bicep.
.Attachment 543036

Its sad that dollar$ influence the look of your characters this much, the whole argument that people hardly buy Gragas due to appearance bares weight, but at the same time upon seeing the spider queen, I found I rolled my eyes rather than raising my brow compared to the likes of Rengar and Kha'zix

Riot, more diversity please. I like the concept, but the execution lacks the wow factor.
This can't be repeated enough. Even putting aside the usual female champion design concerns, the fact that the designs are nearly carbon copies of each other should be downright embarrassing to Riot, and to every person who plays this game since Riot seems to think that players think the only aspects of female character design that matter are what and how little they're wearing and whether they have the same generic sexy body type. They are basically the same champion wearing (barely) different clothes.

Darius and Garen are more different from each other than the last 4 female champions are, and they're intentionally highly parallel champions. The only things keeping royal guard Fiora out of that compilation image are that her eyes don't glow and she's actually wearing reasonable clothing (though a cravat would've been more interesting for the skin than just more cleavage).

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-21-2012
40 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Aria View Post
What can you guys tell me about art interns? I was hoping to apply in the summer and had a few questions about it. To apply, do you have to be on par with Riot's artists, or is there time to learn? I've only recently gotten into computer art, but I am majoring in Fine Arts. Thanks.
We have actually had quite a few interns! Many of them we have also hired. We have met quite a few people at conferences, mostly GDC. The neat thing about those conferences are we get a chance to interact with people, get to know them a bit, critique their work, etc.

I will admit that most of our interns are actually fast learners and making art on par with our full time employees. Or they are quickly after they start. That was not the goal, but I think we've been really lucky to get some awesome artists in. Pan, Bo, Brandon, Brian...these are all guys that are now helping us set the bar. We learn from them too...)

Nanatsu

10-21-2012

Elise's human form needs to be more creepy more monstrous!