Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snes C

10-09-2012

Are there any plans to update old ability icons, similarly to how Twitch's icons were updated with his remake? There are a lot of old icons that not only look bad, but don't even match the champion or ability's appearance.

Dreampod

10-09-2012

Have you guys considered (or are in the process of developing) 'minion' skins? It seems sad that while 5 members of the team can get dressed up and show off their stuff the 6th (and most underappreciated) just keeps trundling down the lanes in their standard outfits. I would love to see packs that reskin the 4 minion types and the towers for the team in a game.

I think City-state based packs would be the most fertile ground for this idea but you could even branch into seasonal or joke ones too. I know that implementing something like this might be a bit of work but I really think that it would be worthwhile.

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-09-2012
21 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellhmmm View Post
This is a topic that I'm sure lots of people would be interested in. My question for you is:

When confronted with widespread dislike of certain artwork (most recently the Lux splash art) what is your approach as Art Director to analyzing and resolving this situation?

Personally I love the new Lux artwork, I think it is absolutely stunning! But how do you deal with the people on the opposite side of the spectrum?

Also Sion and Udyr need a touch-up badly on their standard artworks ahah! But I'm sure you guys are already on top of that!
This is a great question. A lot of art direction is fairly subjective. You try to make the best calls possible given all of the factors. It takes some thought, research, question and answer sessions, chats with passionate people and feedback from the teams that make it all possible. You certainly can’t please everyone, but you try to make great, bold choices that are right for the game and the people that play it. That is paramount. I say bold because we want you to have something unique.

When we started with the visual exploration for the new splash art, we asked people what they thought of the League “look”. What words described it? There's no way to get an all encompassing perfect list with a game like League, but some of the words seemed to come back again and again: heroic, bad-ass, sexy, exaggerated, unique, humorous, unexpected, colorful , fantasy inspired, etc. From that baseline, and our own experience with League, we looked at artwork that inspired us. We then did explorations on splash art keeping in mind the game as it is, feedback we’ve received, our community, etc.

Through our explorations we decided not to do things too realistically. We wanted an art style that allowed us to be flexible (some would say too flexible – MF’s spine OMG) and expressive without worrying too much about breaking things. We wanted to be able to experiment, have fun with the art and still deliver something that was right for the game. You guys are seeing that now. We try to make champions that are larger than life, so we wanted our proportions, poses and rendering style to reflect that too.

At some point in time, I would love to find a way to share that process with you guys. And to also share the concepts we create. The art that you don’t see is sometimes more interesting than the art that you do see. But that’s just my personal take…because I love the thought process behind what makes a great champion even when it’s a loose sketch.

We’re evolving League, you guys are giving feedback, and we’re honing it in based on a lot of factors. This isn’t a moment, it’s a journey. And it’s quite a ride…)

Morgra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Why'd you change your icon?

And it was K

10-09-2012

Is Victorious Janna going to get any more work? Like maybe particles? ;D

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-09-2012
22 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgra View Post
Why'd you change your icon?
LOL...the art team did that too me. Then I picked something more appropriate. I'm picking up Malphite now...)

BelligerentGnu

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Through our explorations we decided not to do things too realistically. We wanted an art style that allowed us to be flexible (some would say too flexible – MF’s spine OMG)

So does this mean we're going to see changes to the recent jello-spine splashes? (MF, Morg, Lux)

RedIsDead45

10-09-2012

Hello Narya! First off let me say that is it great of you to be answering all of these questions. Really shows dedication of Riot's Staff and I personally love it.

Now my question, When you decide to revamp a certain champions classic splash, do the other skin splashes start getting worked on? For example, now that Lux has that new classic, is she going to get new splashes for her other skins sooner? Or is there a completely separate time slot for Skin splash and Classic Splash?

Akari Ryusaki

10-09-2012

excuse me sir i have a question

was soraka's new size intended? or are u gonna change it? because to be honest it freaks me out how giantic she looks

sorry for my bad english, not main language ^-^

Xtractor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
LOL...the art team did that too me. Then I picked something more appropriate. I'm picking up Malphite now...)
imo glacial malphite is one of the most awesome splashes and skins in the game, great choice ^_^