Champion Synergy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Linna Excel

10-09-2012

I've been reading a little lately about how champion synergy is important (esp in bottom). So focusing on 450 IP champs since I'm assuming most new people (me included) have a couple of these, which other champs synergize well with them? Most of the guides I've seen usually don't talk much about who goes well with your champ.

For instance I've got soraka and ashe and I'm going bottom, what would good champions be that compliment my characters in case the other guy says I can play X,Y, and Z?

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Soraka works nicely with Urgot or Sivir, and I believe Ashe plays well with Nunu and Blitzcrank.

CowMeat

10-09-2012

Here is a bottom lane synergy chart: http://www.lolking.net/charts?region...gy&range=daily

PS Ezreal + Sona/Taric = likely win.

At 450 IP you're playing Sivir or Ashe as AD and Nunu or Soraka as support. Their win rates are similar.

ScarlettSarcasm

10-10-2012

For a beginner with 450 champs in the bottom lane, I wouldn't worry as much about synergy so much as practicing different roles and different champs. Playing Soraka is fantastic. If you play her, you should be going bottom with an AD carry, and Soraka works well with any of them. If you're playing Ashe, any support champion would by fine except a Leona, but I doubt you'll see many. Also understand that at lower levels a lot of people aren't going to want to play support... ever. So you playing Soraka is fantastic and you'll be glad you learned her when you hit later levels. But when you go Ashe, don't always expect someone to play a support with you. If they have Nunu or Soraka, that's awesome, but it won't happen often. Good synergy in your case would be if someone actually plays someone with a lot of fast damage, actually, because they can take advantage of all your slows. Another good idea would be any champ with crowd control, because between that and your slows, no one's getting away from you and you can kill all you like.

Linna Excel

10-10-2012

Cow, thanks for the link. I see that Ezreal is a good team up and soraka/ashe is about as perfectly balanced as you can get. That karma champ doesn't win much though...

Scarlett, I played two games so far and ended up going a hybrid healer/AP soraka both times. I'll keep in mind I probably won't have support going ashe. I played with a katrina on my side and it seems like a character like that would pair nicely with Ashe.

ShadyGrave

10-10-2012

You will notice though that some champs have pretty terrible synergy bottom. Vayne, for instance, looks pretty aweful bot with anyone. While bottom synergy is good, its only one portion of the game. Vayne late game more than makes up for her tough early game. Or, you could take Sona instead of Taric for that teamfight stun, Nunu for his crowd control, or Blitz for the counter initiation. Its a lot of choices when you get down to it.

Fs Son0fSilas

10-10-2012

^ karma suffers from the fact that a) no one plays her b) what she does over-all, other champions can do better and c) she requires farm to be effective

She has a heal/heavy poke, a speed buff/debuff, and a heavy shield/aoe damage. The problem is without farm she can't be beefy. Her passive increases her AP by a % of a HP missing, without items she melts before this becomes effective. Her heal/damage is semi-skill shot based and can be missed in a hectic fight. Her tether will only damage enemies that pass through it, and doesn't damage those the tether is attached to. Her shield is an unreliable damage source at best, and at worst will cause you to ks more often then you think.

That being said she has her uses. I wouldn't recommend playing her on Summoners rift, but on both Dominion and Twisted Treeline she kinda falls into a niche. Dominion is fast paced, based on small skurmishes that break out across the map. You have a near constant stream of gold, and she can easily speed up 4 team members that need to reach an objective. As well as keep the team sustained during the very tight fights around CPs. In twisted treeline she's allowed to farm more then usual. She also has a better chance of being against a team weak to her poke.

Her Mantra while interesting, leaves her with only 3 abilities that every other support in the game has some form of; if not with an even stronger ability in tow. Each of her abilities is leveled to 6, but there is almost no significant difference between one of her level 6 skills and a level 5 Q/W/E of someone else.

I'm actually very sad since the release of Kha'zix and Syndra, both with very cool "passive" mechanics that could have been AMAZING on Karma. Bonus for level 6 skills? Added effect after leveling up Mantra? COME ON!

Needless to say, I am desperate to see the changes they have in store.

Kaalika

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyGrave View Post
You will notice though that some champs have pretty terrible synergy bottom. Vayne, for instance, looks pretty aweful bot with anyone. While bottom synergy is good, its only one portion of the game. Vayne late game more than makes up for her tough early game. Or, you could take Sona instead of Taric for that teamfight stun, Nunu for his crowd control, or Blitz for the counter initiation. Its a lot of choices when you get down to it.
Got any other tips like this? Really helpful info.

Vayne, Trist, and Urgot look awful with everyone when you look at the monthly chart, and Corki barely scraping 50% with Sona. Why do they look so bad and what do they bring to make up for it?

Great question, op.

TehomCD

10-10-2012

A lot of strong duos partly depend on matchup. For example, Nunu works best with AD carries with longer range, so they can use bloodboil to poke with autoattacks with their range advantage, but he's also arguably the strongest lategame support because bloodboil is extremely powerful late on one of the stronger lategame carries. So you'll see Nunu paired with someone like Kog'maw, who makes great use of bloodboil, to create one of the strongest lategame combos if you can get there.

But different supports are good against one another. Sona, for example, is all around very strong, but she's also particularly good against Nunu - she outpokes him, so he can't trade with her, and she has sustain. So if she's with someone who can harass, like Miss Fortune or Ezreal, they'll almost certainly drive a Nunu/Vayne or Nunu/Kogmaw out of the lane.

Some supports are best with poke - Sona is all about harass, and Soraka both provides strong resistance to poke via sustain as well as fuels mana for a carry who can repeatedly poke, so she works great with Graves, Ezreal, or Corki. She can work with other carries without escapes, but they generally need to be much more careful since Soraka can't usually stop a gank with just silence/heal.

Some supports can be paired with very aggressive AD carries to just go straight for kills. Corki/Leona has an incredibly powerful level 2, as does Alistar/Tristana. If they push a little harder and hit level 2 before the enemy duo, they can immediately go for a kill. Blitzcrank is one of the most popular supports for being arguably the strongest at murdering people in lane with a lucky grab if he's combined with a carry with similar burst, as well as providing an extreme advantage to level 1 jungle invades, but he can also be countered by one of the other very tanky supports who won't care about being grabbed - a Leona, Taric, or Alistar that's grabbed by Blitz will just immediately CC his carry. These supports all tend to beat passive supports like Soraka or Janna.

Sometimes the support isn't selected just based on what your carry is and what the enemy is running, but also the entire enemy team comp. Janna, for example, has it pretty rough with most matchups, but is incredibly good against a lot of bruisers or other people who dive in, and is perfect for protecting carries without escapes from those teams. Lulu is similarly great for disengaging, as well as having incredible synergy with tanks who dive into enemy teams - ulting a tank jungler like Shyvana in the middle of an enemy team can be totally devastating.