Sona potentially #1 support, but people aren't building her right

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcus Veles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaka View Post
By the way, the scaling on W is 20+HP per rank and +3 armor/mr per rank.

The difference between rank 1 and 5 is definitely noticeable but from rank 1-2 is negligible.

Rank 0-1 is pretty big though +8 armor/mr and +40 hp. The ap ratio is only 20%.

If you wanna play a healer, Soraka is your best bet.
Keep in mind that the healing to mana cost ratio also improves as you level it. If you have to heal anyone (wtf this Draven is such a bleeder) then having higher ranked W will heal them faster and cost you less mana overall to do it.

Supaka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyxgamer View Post
... I used to main Sona
honestly rush Philo and HoG and boots 1 cuz honestly, u need at least 2 gold/10 items to buy wards for your team lol
and then adjust to the team
your team has 2 or more champs that benefit from attack speed/life steal? rush Zekes
team needs tanky stats? go Aegis
Team needs better initiation/escape? Shurelias
You yourself need a bunch of armor? Frozen Heart/Randuins/ maybe Locket
MR? Abyssal Scepter, Banshees Veil, Chalice->grail

honestly supports shouldn't have a fixed build... yes Chalice is good on her, but I only take it if I have to spam my heal to keep my carry alive
yes Grail is good mid-late game when you're just basically mashing out your skills

and Lucidity is bad whoever said that
you get a bunch of CDR items anyways even as AP (DFG Grail)

also, never ever have less than 21 in Utility
Sona is a support that's probably best with Flash because of the Flash Ult initiation she can do
having 21 in utility gives you CDR, Mana Regen, Gold, and the best part, less CD on your summoners
I go 0/9/21

If you aren't running magic penetration why even bother with AP items. Her heal ratio is terrible, Q is only 70% (I guess that's average) and the cooldown on her ult that you aren't using it for damage anyways.

If I'm doing exceptionally well in a match and I've gotten all of my core items I'll build a Sheen. Sheen on Sona with her low cdr spammables is completely overpowered.

Grail just isn't a feasible choice for me and I play Sona as aggressively to a fault.

Imperfectable

10-09-2012

Sona and Blitzcrank are the only supports who have been consistently banned in the last few major tournaments, and compared to Blitzcrank Sona has been picked or banned far more often. I don't think there is any particular problem with Sona being "potentially" a first-class support.

The build for Sona also should not be static. It depends entirely on who you are laning with and who you are laning against. Against a lane that wants to go passive and farm to end game (Kog/Nunu) you want to focus more offense and harass harder, and may even want to second-build a Kage's Lucky Pick after Philosopher's Stone. Against a hard-diving kill lane (Leona/Graves) you want to build more defensively. Against a jungler who has a tendency to gank effectively early, you want to build more mobility, usually by building boots earlier than you otherwise would.

Almost all these differences arise from lane match-ups due to the fact that Sona's presence in a team fight never changes that much: she's there to land a clutch Crescendo. That is the whole reason she is - not potentially, not hypothetically, but already is - considered the best support for most team compositions in professional play: a well-timed Crescendo (or even Flash Crescendo) wins games.

There is a great body of professional-level Sona play readily available, if you want to see for yourself some of the different builds and why they are used. The "problem" - not that one exists - in not the lack of a cookie-cutter one size fits all build for her. The only reason she isn't more popular in solo queue is because she is more vulnerable to Taric and Leona kill-lanes than some other supports.

GROMkill

10-09-2012

Has anyone tried building Sona as an AP carry for fun if they've gotten horribly ahead in a game? Sometimes I'll grab Mejai's early on and start building up stacks through assists, (Sona rarely dies in teamfights; it's awesome) and then go for deathcap and then lichbane. There's been many games where I've been able to dwarf the opposing mid's AP value. Lichbane + Q-Powerchord has sooooooooo much chunk

Supaka

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus2658 View Post
Keep in mind that the healing to mana cost ratio also improves as you level it. If you have to heal anyone (wtf this Draven is such a bleeder) then having higher ranked W will heal them faster and cost you less mana overall to do it.
She's one of the only champions where I expect between my poke and my adc we are going to be doing more damage than the other lane 9/10. I already never have mana issues with her with the exception of being ganked... if I've just finished a team fight I'm going back to base to buy more wards anyways.

Guys, remember, wards only last 3 minutes. Take advantage of her mobility (boots+E) and go to base frequently. IF you are the same level as your ADC you are probably doing it wrong. Your income as a support comes SOLELY from Gp5 items you do not have to worry about farming.

Always make your adc aware that you are leaving lane... especially when it comes time to ward the river, I always yellow ping my teammate if I am going up river to ward at the blue golem entrance/dragon...

I guess it's preference, I have very good luck with Sona overall (I'm low elo however) she's the support "carry" in my mind!

All in all, if you have issues, build to correct it. Never forgoe the gp5 items... and also know that 0cs is nice in theory but if your carry is not going to be in lane to last hit a minion and you are... take it. I regularily end the match with 40-70 cs just from last hitting abandoned lanes that I'm watching while others roam.

Supaka

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROMkill View Post
Has anyone tried building Sona as an AP carry for fun if they've gotten horribly ahead in a game? Sometimes I'll grab Mejai's early on and start building up stacks through assists, (Sona rarely dies in teamfights; it's awesome) and then go for deathcap and then lichbane. There's been many games where I've been able to dwarf the opposing mid's AP value. Lichbane + Q-Powerchord has sooooooooo much chunk

I wrote a thread about a week about scoring an early Quadrakill with Sona in lane (after my adc went down ) and losing the game because I bought AP items.

Her output when built AP is just inferior to building her with aura items.

If you really wanna harass the enemy, build trinity force. The slow on it stacks with the 40% slow from her E powerchords... it's kinda ridiculous the amount of utility Trinity brings to the table.

Any situation though I'll buy some serious aura items to help the team if I come into a bunch of gold through a few team fights... I've learned the hard way so you don't have to.

AP Sona is subpar at best.