Initial Honor Results

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snes C

10-09-2012

Wonderful to hear, Lyte!

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanoceros View Post
Maybe it's just me; but I don't get the whole point of honor. It won't affect how you que; it won't increase your IP or RP, it won't unlock anything other than a color tag. literally the only thing it does is affect some in game chat. which is great considering how some people acted and talked; but other than that it just seems pointless.
So what you're saying is... other than the one thing it was designed to do, which it does beautifully, it does nothing?

I think I have a picture around here somewhere that accurately describes this situation.. Let's see here.. Ah! Found it!

Baneson

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The most striking thing to us is the percentage of players that had previous Tribunal histories or toxic pasts... but are actually earning Honor and cleaning up their acts.

We originally designed Honor to make it easier to be good than toxic; however, we hypothesized that these mechanisms would mainly nudge 'neutral' players to be good instead of bad. For now, it's looking like some previously toxic players have done a full 180 and are doing everything they can to earn Crests. Since we're so early in the Honor Initiative, I want to collect more data before I talk about this phenomenon specifically.
That's great! It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

Thanks a lot!

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-09-2012
8 of 66 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killajoule View Post
Hi Lyte, would you ever consider giving Summoners a comment box option to be used when honouring a fellow Summoner (similar to the report feature)? This feature would Summoners to describe the specific action that fellow summoners felt was commendable, giving your team more information and potentially opening the door for your team to provide Summoners with that feedback.

For reports, you created report cards which allows banned individuals to see the specific behaviour that they were punished for.

For Honour, we could have the honour roll which e-mails players to let them know what specific actions they are being rewarded for. This could help to encourage Summoners to repeat those behaviours in-game and also serve as examples for other Summoners to follow by.

Is this something that is already in the works? Thank you again for the honour system, it has significantly improved my in-game experience.
Allowing players to provide comments in their Honor gives is something we considered early in development; however, the chance that troll players would use this as a new tool to send verbal abuse or harassment to others was too high so we opted out of this feature for now.

We may re-visit it in the future, but we'd have to first solve the abuse cases.

Coteedgett

10-09-2012

TBH I don't believe a word of this, it's just like the ban statistics, complete BS.

leothorn

10-09-2012

Honor system reducing players to dithering dumasses . People have stopped even criticizing **** moves by players . If someone is wrong he has to be told he is wrong not cajoled into ohh gj ....It pisses me off..
Do we want to stop constructive criticism all together ??

Lyte have you considered having drop down boxes with actions for which honor is avoided.
The drop down would contain phrases like : Warded / Skillful / etc

And dishonor to tell them where they are going wrong . This is especially for solo queue

CyanShock

10-09-2012

One thing I've noticed that I'd like to see is the option to give an opponent a "friendly" because from my experience there's a difference between someone who's an honorable opponent as opposed to someone who's simply friendly in general.

cravenfear

10-09-2012

the trolls have been successfully trolled! gg riot best idea evar!

Resets for Noxus

10-09-2012

People who get very high honor and are proved to get it genuinely should get rewards in terms of IP or other items. They deserve it.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-09-2012
9 of 66 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepossessedSoul View Post
i would like to see the populations behind your statistics please. I agree that the honor system has the potential to curtail the low to mid range amounts of negative behavior (by low to mid rang i mean people that are not insta trolls or just ugly people to deal with but are decent people that can get set off) but without some sort of carrot to cancel out the stick of the tribunal (which is a whole different subject in and of itself) i dont see how its going to drastically change the way how people are in game. If the goal of the system is to just provide motivation for that group of players that aren't permanently awful to not be awful and to reinforce good behavior, congrats on the implementation, and thank you for implementing something like this.

However one weeks worth of results may not show the true level of impact something like this has on a game the shear size and scale of League of Legends.

But with that being said i just wanted to know what you were measuring the statistics you mentioned in your first post off of, as they kind of leave me wondering what sort of player population you were pooling from; such as was it from a 100,000 player pool, or 100 players over a set span of games or what.

Some clarity on that would be appreciated, and if you could implement some sort of reward for the program that would be absolutely fantastic, even as it stands with just the little ribbons saying honorable opponent thats cool but could you make achievements out of this? just an idea
I agree, this is preliminary data because we're 1 week into the Honor Initiative; however, this is data from every territory in the world that has League of Legends. Way more than 100,000 players

We'll keep collecting data and keep monitoring the initiative to see where we can make tweaks and how we can inform the strategy for the next phase.