Initial Honor Results

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RÊD

10-09-2012

i play most of my normal games with my friends, is it wrong to honor them for every game i play with them?

Fishcoteque

10-09-2012

I love honor because it makes people think twice about infighting. There's so much less toxicity now if a lane is having difficulties. Infighting is such a pain because people spend so much time typing and no time playing, making it that much easier for the other team to win.

It's a shame that ranked hasn't really changed, but then again, it is a higher pressure.

I really do hate when people ask for honor though. Asking for honor is not honorable. I almost wish the pool of honor points was smaller so that you couldn't just honor the entire enemy team every time. It'd mean a lot more if people had to be somewhat conservative with it so you know when others really appreciated you/your skills.

MaruFrozen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

So why can I give my friends honor every game? That part should be pulled. You should only be able to honor a player once in my opinion.

DaMeCabeza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

I don't know about this =/

Yohan Leafheart

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Weekly fluctuations are actually very minimal because we collect data from every territory across the world that has League of Legends. Although preliminary, the data is very promising.
Hey Doc, what about hour fluctuations? One of the things I noticed, is that depending on the hour you are playing the atmosphere is quite different. This might be correlated with age, humor (morning crankiness) , etc. Do you have any data around that, which you can share? When are people more helpful? What about the quality of teamwork? It would make for a very nice set of hypothesis if it indeed varies with the hour of the day.

Baneson

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
i play most of my normal games with my friends, is it wrong to honor them for every game i play with them?
You might run out of Honor to give eventually. And the Honor that you do give will count for less and less.

But hey, if they are truly great influences on the game overall let it fly!

Exploding Barrel

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusstrafe View Post
The person? Not enough love shown to them as a child?

No, seriously.

Not enough reason for them not to misbehave? This is just a horrible thing. People shouldn't downright require incentive and rewards to not be disgusting to one another (I refuse to use the T word because I find it freaking hilariously overused). This system is basically sweeping the problem under the rug.

I don't expect Riot to deploy a crack team of psychiatrists to try and alchemize garbage to gold, but throwing treats at them to get them to shut up just seems like we're freaking rewarding them for being terrible people. This isn't a smart system so much as a gauze patch to try and lessen the symptom.

Don't try to hide it. This system wasn't made to reward us nice guys, it was made to discourage wrongdoing by positive reinforcement. It isn't for us, it's for them. It's for the jerks. They're still jerks and just hiding it really well. They're still getting rewards, they're still playing the game, they still exist in the community and are now practicing their hiding-in-plain-sight game. That's the problem.
I see what you're saying but... this is the internet. Unless you're new here, you know there are jerks here in higher concentrations that you can find anywhere in modern real life. The anonymity gives people an outlet to let go and act out in ways they would never dare in face-to-face interactions (see: john gabriel's greater internet dickwad theory). I don't think fixing the internet is Riot's responsibility or is a feasible expectation. Instead, they are accepting the laws of nature of online behavior, and implementing systems to manage it as best they can, which appears to be meeting some success.

If it gets under your skin to be interacting with jerks, to the point where even when they are behaving well you assume they are jerks and get irritated anyway, the internet is probably not the best place to spend your leisure time.

Digitality

10-09-2012

First a question.

Dr. Lyte, do you have any information on the whereabouts of the nefarious Dr. Wily?

Second an anecdote.

I am a neutral player, such as you mention in your news post, that has been pushed towards being both positive and negative within the context of a game and how the dialogue develops. My initial comments within a game are usually gameplay-centric and rather short. Then they often change according to the reactions of the players within and whether they see me with a negative-bias or not. If they do, the situation tends to evolve into a combative one.

Usually I've not evoked positive reactions from my neutral tone.

My tendencies have improved towards the positive side of the scale since the implementation of the honor system. Not that I personally desire honor, I only seek to win games. However the attitude of my teammates has vastly improved and the negative bias seems to have lessened. As such I have fewer opportunities to slide into combative situations. Even when those situations do come up still (Much less often) I more readily waive them off. Having seen directly an improvement in behavior, the persistent negative behavior just comes off as being all the more exhausting.

This positive attitude tendency has actually spilled over and I find myself more likely to engage with my team mates beyond my short and to the point gameplay focused comments.

Girafossauro

10-09-2012

Thank you very much for the honor system! Since it started me and my friends have seen a brutal change in player behavior up to the point to make our game experience almost always enjoyable. I'm not very good so I used to get shouted at a lot witch was very frustrating since I always try my best and only want to have fun, that's why currently only play normal. Now I'm playing much more frequently and I have even won some honor points, yay!! Great job guys!

LadyAzalea

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajido View Post
Lyte, I have two questions if you could indulge me.

1. Might you ever consider changing it so it tells us who Honored us after a game? I don't see any harm in this, because you don't see you've gotten honored until after you leave the post game lobby. So it's not like I'll see "Oh, Player X honored me, let me return the favor". By telling us who honored us, it lets us know this player had fun playing with us and maybe it might spur me to send a friend request and form a gaming friendship with this person.

2. I know that flat out asking for honor is a reportable offense that will get your honor reset to 0. But I see a lot of players in post game stating that they're going to honor people in a very obvious attempt to get others to return the favor and honor them back. They never come right out and ask for anyone to honor them, but I see this as abuse of the system. Do you see this as abuse, should it be reported and punished?
^ This post has lots of win. LOTS!

1. Totally made the same suggestion about being anonymous :P
2. I have seen that happen as well. Had a game we played where our one opponent was like "time to honor!" and then one of our guys was complaining about our fifth pub being a pain and the opponent was just like "well, no honor for you!" I wasn't complaining in the lobby but can tell you that I personally received no honor that game from anyone, anyway. Glad I didn't, because the "time to honor" guy probably just wanted honor and wasn't planning on giving it out in the first place. Very unsportsmanlike.

I'm not sure how that would get dealt with...the only thing I can think of is somehow flagging the term "honor" in the after-game lobby.