I'm Not Improving.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AarointheMash

03-30-2014

Hi, I'm AarointheMash and my goal is to be in diamond one day. I'm currently in silver V, and I was bronze 4 in the preseason. I have learned a lot in my League of Legends lifetime and I had major improvements from season 3, the Season 4 pre-season into the current season. In order to reach my goal, I need to improve my skill at this game. I play league of legends in all of my free time, I play this game throughout the majority of my free time with friends, or in Solo-Q.

I don't want to give you a sob story about how I'm stuck in Silver V, It's just that I don't feel like I'm improving anymore. I know it's not my teammates, I had that mindset in the preseason when I first played ranked and I told myself that's the reason I was in bronze. I erased this mindset in season 4.
I always try to keep an eye on all of my mistakes. I used to record my games but my LoL Replay is broken (through numerous re-installs). I've been through many losing streaks, small win streaks,games where I carried, games where I did poorly, and I probably learned a lot, just not enough to impact my skill in the game. I am confident that I will reach my goal but I am at a block in my path, I'm just frustrated with my play, and I want to know how to improve. Thanks.

Also, please don't flame me for wanting to achieve something a bit out of reach at this moment. Diamond will take a very long time and there's nothing wrong with that.

mohru

03-30-2014

It takes a lot of time to become a well-rounded player. In fact, most players at the top are exceptional at one role and mediocre at the rest. They're called one-trick-ponies. It is by far the easiest way to improve. Pick a role that you like, and stick with it. Spam it, and play only your best champions. For instance if you choose to focus on mid lane, spam the same champions over and over again. Ziggs, Gragas, Leblanc, Zed, Lulu, Orianna, +++. It's wise to play the metagame, because it's what the professionals consider to be optimal. It's okay to play champions that you like, but don't play the likes of Maokai, Urgot, and Quinn with a passion. From there, practice CSing with those champions and play more games to improve your skills (this includes mechanical skill, map awareness, knowing what enemy champions are capable of). It's a really convenient time to start this, teambuilder came in at a good time.

That's how I got better. I spammed jungle because back then it was a role nobody knew how to play. So I kept playing it till I got exceptionally good at it. By that I mean I'm really good at jungle relative to the other roles. I rarely play top/mid/ADC/support, I hate bot lane especially. However I can play these other roles too at a competent level; when I'm jungling I'm constantly watching 9 other players playing these roles.

Akromah

03-30-2014

Is it me or do all jungle mains loathe bot lane.

Pretty much what's said above except it's fine to go outside the meta as long as you get good at it. People in gold and silver are especially terrible at adapting to some of my non meta gameplans.

What helped me was to set a specific goal for each game...The goal I'm working on now in diamond is to die less. The goal I worked on plat was to manipulate pressure for objectives more. In gold I focused on farming more and self sufficiency. In silver I worked on specialization and jungle presence.

Dunno if this helps. Obviously, you should be flexible in your learning. Just have a main goal in mind.

mohru

03-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akromah View Post
I just think laning is boring so I try to avoid it at all times. Plus I don't like getting ganked. Those guys are *******s.

SeCKS Egai

03-31-2014

Even when I'm winning I still spot mistakes. There's always room to get better, even in challenger.

If you truly want to make it to diamond, you should always be finding ways to get better and realizing things you could have done better.

Akromah

03-31-2014

^

I don't remember one game in my past 100 where I couldn't identify something I did poorly. If it helps, write it down after each game so you can find areas to work on.

VoiceOfViolence

03-31-2014

First! Remember and take heart that at the end of the day it's just a game. A fun game, and one that rules to be good at it, but unless your getting paid bukcets, just a game. Enjoy it and learn at your own pace. Your succes at LoL does not dterimen your place in society or your value as a person, mmkay?

Now that being siad, once you embrace that mindset, particie whenever you can, making clearly designated moments when you know your just playing to try something new, and when you feel like practicing for rank. I'd suggest more normal matches with friends, and felxing new roles. That's how you'll get the most out of pratice before venturing back into the soluless, grinding world of solo Que Ranked.

Seriously, about the best way to get better is to play with people who make you play better. Once you iron out how to utilize teamwork with friends, working with tots strangers in any number of roles should be cake.

AarointheMash

03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akromah View Post

Pretty much what's said above except it's fine to go outside the meta as long as you get good at it. People in gold and silver are especially terrible at adapting to some of my non meta gameplans.

What helped me was to set a specific goal for each game...The goal I'm working on now in diamond is to die less. The goal I worked on plat was to manipulate pressure for objectives more. In gold I focused on farming more and self sufficiency. In silver I worked on specialization and jungle presence.

Dunno if this helps. Obviously, you should be flexible in your learning. Just have a main goal in mind.
This reply and the one above are very helpful. I would like to thank you both, as I will keep this to mind. I main jungle, and I know I have lots of improving to do. I do try to correct my mistakes while i'm playing, I watch Foxdrop on Youtube, who has helped me in my early jungling (he helped me start jungling). I think I need to improve on objectives. When it comes to dragon, I do pretty well at it, providing vision for my team when vision is unavailable but when to push the lane for my laner after a gank, positioning in a gank and ganking overall I do sometimes struggle with. There are games where I just have no idea what I can do other than clearing the jungle, counter-jungling and warding when I can't find a lane to gank. I see foxdrop going to lanes as a jungler even if he can't get anything from it, but just to show his face. I think that's what people mean by applying pressure on the map. I also need to improve on counter ganks. To sum it up, I need to work on my jungling in general. Thanks again, and if you have any tips to help me out with the jungle, that would be great.

buneter

04-02-2014

Well what you did is what alot of people do in sports called hitting a wall and as the great master i says
"if you hita wall hit it hard"

SeCKS Egai

04-02-2014

Showing your face isn't always a good thing. One of the things that's helped my jungle is the sheer fact I've spent so much time in other lanes.

You want to apply pressure, however you also have to consider the state of affairs. There are times you want to show up for the sake of zone control but whenever you show up, that means you can't be in another lane, which then means that lanes elsewhere can be that much more aggressive.

People really don't ward enough as jungler in our elo. I managed to salvage a game where I was getting counterjungled heavily simply by warding - while they were busy messing with my creeps, I in turn fed kills to my lanes.