[Guide] statikk's Take on Sona, the Maven of the Strings

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gunflame

09-27-2010

thoughts on innervating locket?

The most notable thing about locket is the extremely good mana and life regen you get, this will allow you to ignore mana items and get more "tankish", "dps" or "support" items.

- Locket+
For Support/tankish:
- Aegis, Frozen Hearth, Rylai, Magic resist or armor as needed

For AP build:
- Haunting Guise, Zhonya, Deathfire grasp, Rylai, Elixirs

Full support:
- Doran's Ring - Boots of Swiftness - Soul Shroud - Aegis of the Legion - Will of Ancients - Guardian Angel.

I believe shurelia is kinda of a weak item, even weaker than Will of ancients. It is very expensive for its basics stats and its active is only good for well coordinated teams as 2 seconds speed boost requires good planning. This comes from a person that swears by Philosopher stone as one of the best early game item for most champions.

Hyakuren

Banned

09-27-2010

For Item Build, I agree with your items, but you should be more specific about the order of your items:

Meki Pendant + Pots > Tear of Goddess
Sheen
2x Blasting Wand
Lichbane
Arch Angel's Staff

Also, most of your damage will be Lichbane harass, so I'd recommend Armor Pen marks, Mp5 seals and glyphs, and HP Quints.

reaver99

09-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy McBang View Post
She is squishy, but between the range of Hymn and even a level 1 heal, judicious harassment should not leave you in trouble. I will say that it's important to play how your partner is playing; hopefully s/he is aggressive, because early Sona can support a very aggressive game plan. My last partner, though, was a Veigar who wasn't even in exp range half the time in a 2v1 lane, and their mid came and ganked me a couple of times while he ran for the hills because I didn't adjust.

This is also part of what I like about Meki + pots versus a Manipulator, having a backup in case you get thumped a bit and would have to suck down a lot of mana healing yourself through spells. But Clarity (which I take) makes that more a matter of taste than a necessity.
How many times have you laned against a Sona? Level 1 heal gives you 40 health which is like one autoattack. Her range is also not that good - if you stay near your minions, Hymn has less range than her autoattack since it only prioritizes champions in a short range. If you stay by your minions and focus your harassment on her when she tries to get in range, she'll have to use all her mana healing herself rather than harassing and without Doran's she can be taken down pretty quickly. A lot of players don't know how to counter Sona in lane because she's new, but as they start figuring out you will definitely notice her squishiness.

reaver99

09-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
thoughts on innervating locket?

The most notable thing about locket is the extremely good mana and life regen you get, this will allow you to ignore mana items and get more "tankish", "dps" or "support" items.

- Locket+
For Support/tankish:
- Aegis, Frozen Hearth, Rylai, Magic resist or armor as needed

For AP build:
- Haunting Guise, Zhonya, Deathfire grasp, Rylai, Elixirs

Full support:
- Doran's Ring - Boots of Swiftness - Soul Shroud - Aegis of the Legion - Will of Ancients - Guardian Angel.

I believe shurelia is kinda of a weak item, even weaker than Will of ancients. It is very expensive for its basics stats and its active is only good for well coordinated teams as 2 seconds speed boost requires good planning. This comes from a person that swears by Philosopher stone as one of the best early game item for most champions.
Personally I think Locket is awful on Sona because of how useless it is to her. Locket is good on Udyr because he's constantly taking damage and needs a better way to heal himself than just Turtle Stance. But Sona shouldn't be taking much damage, and your caster items give you enough mana to spam so you really don't get anything out of it.

Reverie is almost as bad but you do get the active which is nice for any team (2 seconds at 40% is a significant amount of chasing/fleeing/charging squishies), and a lot of other characters can't afford to waste a slot on it so it might as well be Sona. But I would rather have someone else get it who can use the stats (like Singed)

Spiffy McBang

09-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaver99 View Post
How many times have you laned against a Sona? Level 1 heal gives you 40 health which is like one autoattack. Her range is also not that good - if you stay near your minions, Hymn has less range than her autoattack since it only prioritizes champions in a short range. If you stay by your minions and focus your harassment on her when she tries to get in range, she'll have to use all her mana healing herself rather than harassing and without Doran's she can be taken down pretty quickly. A lot of players don't know how to counter Sona in lane because she's new, but as they start figuring out you will definitely notice her squishiness.
I won't deny the possible effect of her newness, but I've been playing her a lot and I've been very impressed with her Q range. Now that I've practiced with it, I've been able to do a lot of run in, Q, run out without getting hit even when the enemy champ is obviously trying to get a shot in.

Maybe they're just bad, but I've been doing it pretty consistently, and her champ page shows it has a 700 range, which is longer than any auto (I think an 18 Trist is slightly longer, but whatever). She's definitely squishy, and is definitely weak 1v1, but with a competent lane partner as backup she can be fairly aggressive and/or hurt almost anyone who tries to push up on her. But if she doesn't keep range she's screwed.

reaver99

09-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy McBang View Post
I won't deny the possible effect of her newness, but I've been playing her a lot and I've been very impressed with her Q range. Now that I've practiced with it, I've been able to do a lot of run in, Q, run out without getting hit even when the enemy champ is obviously trying to get a shot in.

Maybe they're just bad, but I've been doing it pretty consistently, and her champ page shows it has a 700 range, which is longer than any auto (I think an 18 Trist is slightly longer, but whatever). She's definitely squishy, and is definitely weak 1v1, but with a competent lane partner as backup she can be fairly aggressive and/or hurt almost anyone who tries to push up on her. But if she doesn't keep range she's screwed.
I thought it was 450 but it's actually 650 so it is pretty long, and it goes up to 800 if there aren't minions around. If you don't try and get a power chord in you can probably hit and run without being countered. I do find her a pretty easy target if I have a little burst damage though.

DD DoubleDiamond

09-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingmeister View Post
The only close games were Sona vs Sona.

Normals aren't typically used to evaluate a champion's worth. Not only do I almost never see her in ranked, when I do she almost always loses.

Supreme1337

09-27-2010

I'm gonna have to say that Innervating Locket is a must on her. I like rushing an Archangel's Staff, getting Sorc Boots, and then building Locket (followed by Rylai's if the game goes on). It's very effective, and I've only had good experiences with this. The pure support builds I tried only got me mediocre to bad results. I really think AP is the way to go since she does some serious damage and she heals for a ton of health.

LifesLemons

09-27-2010

So what's the point of picking Sona over Taric? Taric has a better heal, stronger auras, and isn't as squishy as Sona. Sona does have less cooldowns [as far as I can tell] and isn't melee, and I'm not going to claim I'm good enough to tell the advanges and disadvantages of each character, but I don't see a reason why Sona is overpowered when people can use Taric and do the same things better.

AsteriskCGY

09-27-2010

Well one can say ranked players are very much settled into their own characters, and how often do they take new ones straight into ranks?

Her Q range is really long, and with clarity I've been able to dash in and hit quick before most get a chance to use a ranged move on me. I've whittled most melee and casters down pretty far. Her heal may be weak, but on such a short cooldown its easy to recover most damage. I do thing I should be using my Power Chords to farm rather than saving for a harass, especially if you leave her for a second the autoattack wastes it anyway.

I'm definitely looking at the item builds. So far I've been trying Meki+pots>tear>boots>AA, but around this point the cross lane ganking starts, and my effectiveness seems to drop. Might be partly my ballsyness with Sona, but running around with just a tears and boots feels rather ineffective. I feel like I get better mileage from trying for the AA than trying for the locket, though.

I see her pushing less to do with taking out the wave of creeps and more spamming clarity to move a group along. I want to see if I can get two groups of creeps to catch up with each other with clarity.