How to not win at League of Legends: Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Cpt America

10-09-2012

Why does Aphromoo swear every other word my ears are bleeding?

Snes C

10-09-2012

"Soraka is bad because here's a hypothetical situation in which she does very poorly."

Sure, kid. Sure.

IICrowII

10-09-2012

The silence is really big vs certain opponents, particularly those whose usefulness hinges on a channeled ability, like Katarina, and is always useful somewhere. The MR shred on Q is huge for teams going double AP mid/top. Her ultimate IS global, and though it may not be as game swinging as Karthus's or Shen's, it does mean that both other lanes and the jungle cannot expect to win what would otherwise be a close duel.

And I'm very skeptical of all those who seem to be saying that trivializing all physical damage to a particular player for 3 seconds of a teamfight or a skirmish is not a big deal.

kavinh the third

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

um ur using an extreme example and completely avoiding the obvious advantages soraka has over leona. First off in the laning phase being passive is a good thing for trist considering she has better scaling but it also means that they can slowly harass the enemy with damage that they can't heal back. as for late game even though leona can potentially stun the entire team ur forgetting how useful that 100ish armor is and considering she has a long range silence she can much more easily interrupt channeled abilities then leona who has to be in range.
All ur saying in ur complaint is that leona is superior to soraka because she has hard cc while soraka doesn't while avoiding the fact that soraka actually buffs allies and could potentially outheal any damage the enemy would've dealt during that leona stun duration.

Dino Thunderlung

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

All you Soraka haters can go jump off a cliff as far as I'm concerned. I'm a main Soraka. And I can lead pretty much any char I lane with in bot lane to dominance. AP and CDR FTW. There's really not that many chars that give Soraka a hard time. Silence them if they start to come after you and flash or ghost away. Frozen for Armor and CDR, Zeke's for CDR and to give your laning partner a bit of life steal. I have had great success laning with just about ANYONE who doesn't use mana. I can use my E for damaging and silencing more often that way. The only think about playing support that really bugs the hell outta me is warding. I realize it's a supports job to keep wards up, but one support cannot ward the whole map and still be effective. Others have to ward too!

Injusto

10-09-2012

Well, as a main support player I tell you there's nothing more boring than Soraka support. OP is right, it's a highly passive support that encourages defensive play and a farm fest. I mean, asides from flashing and using exhaust, what else can a support Raka do to force a fight?

Now don't get me wrong, there are times were Raka is an excellent choice in support specially cuz of her armor boosting capability. But whenever I see an enemy Raka I know this is going to be a boring match, at least in the laning phase.

Soraka's not my kind of support champ, but I can understand why people play her.

LargeSnorlax

10-09-2012

Raka is, always was, and always will be the antithesis of fun in laning phase.

All support soraka does is punish aggression and promote passive, boring play.

SasakitheCouncil

10-09-2012

It's not like infinite mana could poke someone out of lane or anything...

Danzibe

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZerglingOne View Post
Make her Q lower her heal's cooldown by 1 second for each champion it hits.
Now take what you just said, apply it to a team fight in 5s or in 3s and then realize what you just said. Realized it yet? yeah? Good, then you know it'd be broken and wouldn't happen.

a little jenny

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
You obviously haven't seen some of the good Sorakas in higher levels of play. Take a look at the way "a little jenny" (~2.1k ELO) plays soraka. She picks soraka INTO a kill lane, and wins (she has won lanes against aphros smurf as well) solely because of her soraka.

If you think the optimal way to play Soraka is as a 0/9/21 support, who should run 5 gold/10 runes, sit back, and heal, then I am afraid you are sorely mistaken.

You are exemplifying the reason that soraka is a good pick if you know how to play her (like jenny does). If you pick soraka, run a tanky rune page, maybe with some AP, run 29 in defence, and pit her against a kill lane, eg. a blitz lane, and get heal/exhaust, you effectively turn your soraka lane into a kill lane. Why? How? Because a lane with a tank-specced soraka in it will always come out on top against lanes that try to kill her.

Before you downvote me because I'm saying something that is uncommon, make sure you add the high elo players "a little jenny" or "Nhat Nguyen" and ask them about the situation of soraka at the moment.
Hi~ if anyone's looking for a VOD of an example of playing tanky soraka into a blitzcrank: http://www.twitch.tv/jennyeatsbabies/b/333929630

The opposite AD carry is Aphromoo's smurf, so if you want to watch the VOD with a lower pitched voice/from his view, I'm sure you can find it from his stream as well (it's awhile back).

I wish I could fully read this thread and give an indepth thought about the whole Soraka ordeal, as she's one of my most favorite champions in this entire League, but I feel like most of the time people refuse to think outside of the stale meta she's played in, and limit the possibilities of aggressive play because they don't think she can be played that way.

TL;DR -- play champs objectively: look at their skills, their ratios--their base stats and the champion they are just at their base core, without titles or tags or whatever they are labelled as.

The next step to league is making each champion your own: manipulating this game and understanding it to a level where you can play any champion against another and still win.