Want to learn to play tank! Need tip on...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ElvenGirl HD

10-08-2012

So i want to learn to play a tank because i hear if you do it right it is the most fun thing to do in LoL. ive saved my IP for a 1350 champion, but who is the most fun tank thats easy to play?

LegendaryLemur

10-08-2012

well i'd wait for one to be free so you can try him first. Cho'gath, malphite and amumu are all excellent

scantplanet

10-08-2012

You can get Alistar for free for subbing to Riot on you tube, otherwise here's my list of tanks iv'e seen played well-
Chogath, malphite, Amumu, Dr. Mundo, singed, Warwick (if played right).
Keep in mind that any position requires training, if you want to try a new lane/role always play bots. The people on bots are always either super nice, or super quiet, so it might take a while to find a good game where you can have your spot.
Hope this helped - scantplanet

LegendaryLemur

10-08-2012

Mundo is more of a soak than a tank. Honestly his role sort of confuses me. Warwick is most commonly built on-hit i believe, i see him as more of a fighter than a tank. I guess singed can be a tank, but all you've got is the slow and the flip. Personally i would steer towards someone with an AoE initiation.

ACGIFT

10-08-2012

Both Malphite and Amumu make excellent tanks, suited for pretty much all skill levels. It's kind of nice that their play style doesn't significantly change all that much between newer players and the pros; their initiations and peels are very pretty straightforward, and when you've got your team with you, can be VERY satisfying use. They both an amazing core for any teamfight.

Alistar I wouldn't consider quite a full-blown tank: mostly, he's what I'd call a support with good tankiness, jungle capacity, solid tower-diving capability, and VERY strong pushing ability. However, his power in a big all-out teamfight isn't comparable to that of Malphite or Amumu, which can get a good initiation with their ults and potentially win the game on the spot with them.

LegendaryLemur

10-08-2012

I think of alistar as the quintessential tank. Didn't even think to mention him because he's free, but his pulverize and headbutt are both incredible for disruption/peeling. Add the ult to prevent damage and a heal to boost your team if you survive the initial attack (ok the heal isn't great) and he is a class A tank in my opinion.

Fraiyr

10-11-2012

I <3 blitz, great support and definitely a good champ to build tanky, especially with that mana shield. Plus dat grab! he's got so much interrupt force, and he's really not all that easy to kill.

phatmonkey91

10-11-2012

my favorite 2 tanks are singed and alistar, u can get ali for free and singed is 1350. Careful wen playing singed tho because he does need to farm (unlike alistar) so a good player can shut you down. Building singed is very strange because you essentually need to counter build for your lane so you dont get shut down, so you will end up building very differently each game.

Magus Crow

10-11-2012

Alistar is free and has great disruption and peels with a very strong damage reduction but not so much in the initiation department.

Malphite is 1350 and has an amazing initiation in his ultimate a good shield off of his passive. He also has semi-decent peels with his ability to reduce move speed and decent disruption with his ability to reduce attack speed. In my playing of him I found his damage output to be pretty low but as a tank your job is to be just threatening enough to have people focus you and he does this relatively well.

Amumu is also 1350 and has a great initiation in his bandage -> curse combo and has great DPS by simply sitting in the middle of an enemy team with despair on. Unfortunatly he doesnt have any real inate damage soak (unless you want to count reduced minion damage) and I dont really think he peels well if he has neither his bandage or his curse (which are also his initiation tools). Mumu is also pretty hard to lane with and is vulnerable to jungle invades. If he loses his blue buff he has a pretty hard time coming back from that.

Mundo is just... odd. He gets a ton of HP and health regen and tends to build a ton of armor and MR to boot but he doesnt really initiate well nor does he really peel well. His job seems to be to run into the opposing team with burning agony on pop his sadism and masochism and chuck a few cleavers around. Fun but not really tankish other than forcing people onto his massive HP total due to getting smacked around with pretty large constant AOE damage and pretty beefy auto attacks from the AD boost.

I have pretty little experience with Cho or Singed so I cant make much of a comment on either of them though I think Cho better suited for the role.

TwistWrist

10-11-2012

Mundo is not a tank. He's a soak and probably a bit of an anti-carry.

Cho'Gath and Singed both can be tanks depending on the situation. All depends on how effective their respective AoE silence or AoE slow is at peeling the other team. Can be effective against some team comps...not so great for others.

Alistar and Amumu are probably closest to pure tanks. Alistar's initiation isn't superb and Amumu's peeling is tricky.

Malphite...has really terrible peels to be a tank. Okay tank against a autoattack-heavy team but otherwise, I would build him different from a pure tank. Realistically, if his attack speed debuff isn't a threat to enough of the enemy, then most of them have no reason to focus him. And his slow is complete garbage. It is more of a chasing tool than a peel.