I want to OMGWTFBBQSAUCE all. Help meh

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DivinElement

10-08-2012

Hello there, I'm a long time mmo player that has just recently stumbled upon this game and love it! I've been spending every waking free hour of mine online and grinding away within AI games to study available champs and have a pretty firm grasp on them (given their short list of available skills I find them very easy to pick up on).

My question I pose to the community is this: how do I progress rather quickly from this point? My interest lies in wtfpwning all in ranked matches. I'm tired of beating up on AI all day long. However, when I try to play against other people it tells me I need 18 available champs. Does this mean I have to buy them all with real money? Or do I need to sit and grind to get every single one of them?

Finally, once I reached ranked greatness how do I ensure that I surround myself with other people as serious and keen as myself? This is a team based game and it is very frustrating when you essentially have to rely on idiots.

In short I guess what I'm saying is - I'm a nerd. I want to be in those world tournaments next year, but teams aren't made up of one person.

DarkFire

10-08-2012

Hey, I just started like a month ago. Level 21 now.

Anyways, I think for ranked, you need a total of 18 with the freebies, so count up the numbers. If you wanna try something close to ranked, just do draft pick.

For ranked games, just try keep your elo up and play with a friend.

Anyways, have some fun and don't rush ranked. Many of my friends almost never play ranked because they wait to master a few champs first (though they've been level 30 for a while).

DivinElement

10-08-2012

Oh and I almost forgot! How is Xerith as a champ? Aesthetically he looks sweet. Was planning on buying him after Morgana and Cassioeopia.

DarkFire

10-08-2012

My friends tell me Xerith is pretty bad unless you can nicely land those skill shots, but give him a try if you like his style (look at his abilities). I don't own him so I dunno. Morgana is great in team fights, and some of my friends really like Cassioeopia.

Personally, I love playing with Irelia, Katarina, and Akali. Irelia is great overall, awesome solo topper. Sustain, gap closer, stun/slow, true damage, and ranged ulti.

DivinElement

10-08-2012

Hm, I guess I'll hold off on him though and probably choose a tank instead. Was thinking Dr. Mundo, Malphite, or Galio.

chaser676

10-08-2012

So, this other guy is trying to help, but he's falling a bit short. Let me interject.

You need to be level 30 to play ranked, and free week heros don't count towards the number required and also cannot be played until then. You need to practice in normal pvp, blind and draft. Don't rush into ranked, take your time.

Xerath is a superb champion, though his skill floor is quite high.

mambawarrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

I strongly suggest doing normal matches rather than just going straight from AI to ranked, because the AI opponents are awful, to put it nicely.
there is a HUGE gap between AI and ranked. and repeatedly doing AI after you've learned the game will likely just get you into bad habits that don't work against real people.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Play Blind pick PvP until you have the champions needed for draft - Blind doesn't require you to own anything. This will give you an intermediate step between AI and the type of PvP you want to play, while still allowing you to test your skill against real people.

And it's true that the outcome of a League of Legends game is heavily dependant on your teammates. Eventually, you'll want to join a premade 5s team, ideally a serious one.

However, I strongly encourage you to play several hundred solo queue games in normal draft PvP before you really start looking for a team, so you can become very familiar with every aspect of the game, and learn every role well. That will also allow you to accumulate enough IP to set yourself up with a good selection of champions for each role, as well as rune pages for them.

Watch streams, watch tournaments, play alot and try to learn from your mistakes, and then come looking for a team - you'll be able to get into a much better one if you're skilled yourself when you try to join.

TornSpirit

10-09-2012

AI are completely braindead and you shouldn't be fighting them for more than perhaps 20-30 games to get the basics down. After that, you get pretty much nothing good, as they teach bad habits, as they're extremely predictable.

Again, practice normals, at the very least, 300-400 games, before you head into ranked, and make sure that you understand the current meta-game. This ensures that you have a good understanding of what you should be doing, you have enough champions, and you're level 30, AS WELL AS having at the VERY MINIMUM two generic t3 rune pages.

Another thing to note is that you're going to want to know how to play all roles effectively; while certain people do manage to skip this out by never playing a certain role, it really gimps you in the end. Knowing how to play support and how to jungle are two of the most essential things you need to be able to do, even if you aren't playing jungle and support directly, because those two roles are extremely different to any other, and you gain a whole lot of game knowledge from playing those two roles.

wHiSkErTeMx73744

10-09-2012

Xerath is an excellent champ if you know how to play him and sync with his playstyle. Unlike other AP champs, he is less bursty and in your face, and more sniper-like. Also unlike other AP champs, he can shred through defence like there's no tomorrow. 90% armor penetration if you build him a certain way, and that certainly makes some tanks cry. Definitely a unique champ.