Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Sona or Galio?

Sona 11 40.74%
Galio 16 59.26%
Voters 27 .

Sona or Galio?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coryn

10-08-2012

I'm not sure which one I should buy. I've been waiting to buy Sona for weeks, but I just tried Galio this week and love him. I'm happy with him because he's pretty tanky, I can use him as a caster, solo top, and as a support, and he counters any caster type champ. My issue is that I loved playing Sona as well, and she seems to be a pretty popular support champion.

The champs that I own are:
Ahri
Alistar
Ashe
Cho'Gath
Kayle
Kog'Maw
Malphite
Master Yi
Sion
Sivir
Tristana

My main roles are usually ADC or Mid

Halp D:

YamatoYim

10-08-2012

I suggest Galio. He's highly underrated mid; I'd suggest you play him there, not as support, especially with mostly mid/adc experience.

He's a great teamfighter, so much utility for a mid, a strong counter, and good fun in general.
Just build ap mid, don't go tanky/deprive your team of an ap carry.

Fiveofswords

10-08-2012

Well everyone should appreciate you wanting to learn a support champ...everyone should have some support champ...but you know i dont think galio would be crazy as support, either....his ult would still be useful even without farm, and all his stuff has some sort of utility...minor movespeed utility but still...

Coryn

10-08-2012

Yeah, I just tried him as a support in my last game. Didn't do too well.
Pretty horribly actually, 0/14/23

I'm not really sure if he's really amazing as an AP carry though. Even though I was able to build up to 600 AP, he doesn't do nearly as much damage as other AP carries are capable of.

@Fiveofswords I never really intend to use him as a support, but if the situation calls for it, I won't mind. Still would prefer Sona over Galio as support though.

Fiveofswords

10-08-2012

well yeah i wouldnt call him an optimum support but i wuldnt think someone pickign galio as supprot was trollign either, would seem reasonable...anyway hes very versatile about what lane to go in and he has wonderful ult for teamfights...ive played him quite a lot myself
Really galio is a tank/initiator...you dont want to try to make him an AP carry, although you can lane against one. THe tankier galio is, the easier it is for him to help do stuff...your q and e do good enough damage even without huge ap to hurt the carry in teamfights

Beastly Wombat

10-08-2012

Mid AP Galio is boss.

Fiveofswords

10-08-2012

you can get one deathcap...thats all you need...the rest of your slots can be tank items...FoN is especially nice...You will be ultra tanky but you still can/will kill people. Thats my philosophy about galio at least...works for me.

WhoopsiGoldburg

10-08-2012

Galio can support it's just not that great compared to the traditional supports. If you want to win mid everytime pick up Galio. If you want a solid agressive sustain support pick up Sonar.

@YamamotoYin
That's not the best advice. If your clearly winning your lane hard and your teams is doing well go nuts and don't worry about defense. However in most situations your going to want to strike a line between damage and survivability. His ratios aren't the greatest due to all the utility he has his Q has a very good base damage as it is.

His role isn't to burst down one carry, his job is to shutdown there AP in lane so they cannot do that. His whole goal is to disrupt the enemy team in teamfights.

Anyways I noticed you play cho you could always start playing him mid as well since him and galio essentially fuffil the same purpose.

SovietBlade

10-08-2012

Galio is incredibly safe in mid. He can build magic resist for damage, he gets a massive MR/Armor steroid that doubles as a heal, and he can safely farm better than pretty much any mid laner provided both have bluebuff. He also scales incredibly well into late game with the massive amount of utility he offers.

Problem is he lacks the raw nuking power of many other mids, so you'd have to run somebody like ryze or vlad top, or cho in jungle to suppliment your magic damage.

Zamiel The Grey

10-08-2012

Oh that ult, combined with Amumu and Kennen's... game winner Galio right there.