The Defender of Tommorow's Laboratory (Ask Jayce 1.5)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask the Herald

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Jyce View Post
Jayce returned out of his small kitchen with two small mugs: one with steam coming out of it, and another emanating a glowing blue aura. Jayce placed the first mug in front of him, and took a sip of the delicious coffee. The other mug was placed in front of Viktor, and it was liquified mana. Jayce wasn't exactly sure what Viktor would drink (him being a robot and all), so this was all he could think of.

"So... Tell me, Viktor. What do you hope to accomplish by doing this? I mean... This doesn't seem as beneficial to you, more to me. Why?"

Jayce was staring at Viktor, hoping for a more eased reply, but knew that by staring him down it wouldn't really result in anything good.

His rival had been acting strangely, and he needed to get to the bottom of it.
Viktor looked at the mug filled with liquid mana, regarding with a drawn out stare that made it seem as though he might be baffled by either its mere existence or the intentions behind its offering. The Herald had never known kindness in his life. He had to fend for himself. To take what he needed to stay alive. Food, clean water, money - he was no stranger to the concept of thievery. But he never stole a single thing that had been masterminded exclusively by someone else. Even now, long after his fall into darkness from Stanwick's betrayal, he did not approve of stealing the designs of others.

"To be perfectly frank with you, Defender......No. Your name is Jayce, isn't it? Well, at any rate, the truth is that I do not approve of this animosity between you and I. My offer that fateful day was genuine, and sincere. Such technology as that you have masterminded should be used to the benefit of the peoples of Valoran. However, you are completely misguided in the manner in which it should be implemented...."

Viktor picked up the mug, but simply held it over his lap. He neither raised it higher nor even made any motion to make it possible to ingest the substance. He regarded Jayce with an emotionless stare, his mask devoid of feeling and determinable feeling.

"You seem to regard me as some third-rate evil villain, whose only intent is to cause trouble and suffering for others. But you can't see what I've seen. You have yet to experience the sort of cruelty that I have endured. Zaun has always been a place where magic and experimentation run amok, though this by no means is a bad thing. Our culture has given great attention to the progression of both magic and science. You are born with the expectation to succeed, to make your own name, and carve your own path to glory. We adhere to the belief of progress at any cost. This sort of thinking is the true evil. Humanity is selfish and self-serving, by nature. Humans seek to satisfy their primal desires, to realize their conceited dreams. So long this world has been at the mercy of humanity, and for what? For their inflated egos, that they are even willing to kill themselves and destroy their surroundings for the sake of their pride?"

Viktor stood up then, hurling the mug full of liquid mana to the side where it shattered to pieces and released its contents upon the floor and wall. "No. I no longer intend to sit idly by as humanity continues to ravage this world with their twisted ideals that result in senseless bloodshed and death. I intend to eradicate the human factor from the universe, through the Glorious Evolution I know this can be achieved. It is only when people cease serving only their own interests that the world can know peace. It is only through the integration and unification of technology that people will find true bliss. For without human emotions and desires, calamities can never be repeated."

Eondor Harcin

01-18-2013

Dear Jayce,

I'd like to ask your opinion on machine sentience, and the mass-feasibility of it in the future, as well as what impacts it might have on today's culture. Oh, and also if you've any ideas on how it comes about.

-Harcin

Great Aether

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Herald View Post
Viktor looked at the mug filled with liquid mana, regarding with a drawn out stare that made it seem as though he might be baffled by either its mere existence or the intentions behind its offering. The Herald had never known kindness in his life. He had to fend for himself. To take what he needed to stay alive. Food, clean water, money - he was no stranger to the concept of thievery. But he never stole a single thing that had been masterminded exclusively by someone else. Even now, long after his fall into darkness from Stanwick's betrayal, he did not approve of stealing the designs of others.

"To be perfectly frank with you, Defender......No. Your name is Jayce, isn't it? Well, at any rate, the truth is that I do not approve of this animosity between you and I. My offer that fateful day was genuine, and sincere. Such technology as that you have masterminded should be used to the benefit of the peoples of Valoran. However, you are completely misguided in the manner in which it should be implemented...."

Viktor picked up the mug, but simply held it over his lap. He neither raised it higher nor even made any motion to make it possible to ingest the substance. He regarded Jayce with an emotionless stare, his mask devoid of feeling and determinable feeling.

"You seem to regard me as some third-rate evil villain, whose only intent is to cause trouble and suffering for others. But you can't see what I've seen. You have yet to experience the sort of cruelty that I have endured. Zaun has always been a place where magic and experimentation run amok, though this by no means is a bad thing. Our culture has given great attention to the progression of both magic and science. You are born with the expectation to succeed, to make your own name, and carve your own path to glory. We adhere to the belief of progress at any cost. This sort of thinking is the true evil. Humanity is selfish and self-serving, by nature. Humans seek to satisfy their primal desires, to realize their conceited dreams. So long this world has been at the mercy of humanity, and for what? For their inflated egos, that they are even willing to kill themselves and destroy their surroundings for the sake of their pride?"

Viktor stood up then, hurling the mug full of liquid mana to the side where it shattered to pieces and released its contents upon the floor and wall. "No. I no longer intend to sit idly by as humanity continues to ravage this world with their twisted ideals that result in senseless bloodshed and death. I intend to eradicate the human factor from the universe, through the Glorious Evolution I know this can be achieved. It is only when people cease serving only their own interests that the world can know peace. It is only through the integration and unification of technology that people will find true bliss. For without human emotions and desires, calamities can never be repeated."
Jayce was still listening in to Viktor's goals, closing his eyes as the picture of what Filter was speaking of started to emerge in his mind. Viktor had an amazing mind, and he was obviously a man ahead of his time. Just as Jayce was about to speak, the sound of the mug crashing into the wall shook him out of the trance, and he rose to his feet, slamming his hands on the table. He didn't know exactly what to say, but... He tried.

"Look, Vikky ol' pal. Yeah, I may have made Piltover view you as some petty villain... But I didn't want that. You, as an individual, has already made such large advances in Techmaturgy, and you're just a friggin' genius. Me? I'm just your average inventor, I couldn't possibly match up to you in smarts. I overcompensate. You make up for every flaw you have, that is just amazing. Piltover swaps that around, and it's definitely hard to change their minds about you. Come, follow me. I need to show you something."

Jayce shook his head a bit, before retreating back in to his workshop again. He gestured Viktor to follow him in to the lab

Great Aether

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eondor Harcin View Post
Dear Jayce,

I'd like to ask your opinion on machine sentience, and the mass-feasibility of it in the future, as well as what impacts it might have on today's culture. Oh, and also if you've any ideas on how it comes about.

-Harcin
Hmm...
In Piltover, sentient machines are already used for daily conveniences, it is rather useful and tested to be safe. I'm sure those "oh no they're getting a mind of it's own" thing is just a myth.

Eondor Harcin

01-21-2013

Dear Jayce,

And what about mechanical prosthesis? Not nearly on the scale of Viktor, and without the silly want to have others join you, but merely if an arm's lopped off in battle, or something along those lines.

-Harcin

Great Aether

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eondor Harcin View Post
Dear Jayce,

And what about mechanical prosthesis? Not nearly on the scale of Viktor, and without the silly want to have others join you, but merely if an arm's lopped off in battle, or something along those lines.

-Harcin
Mechanical prosthesis is a very interesting subject... If the person in question here has had a limb cut off or a vital organ taken out, then it would be common sense to fix that, right? The problem here is if the patient is willing to be exposed to mechanisms and prosthetics. Knowing that part of your body being a machine for the rest of your life has a big psychological impact. It's very rare that a patient will deny it though, the will to live is strong in most.
Either way, I know that Viktor is already dealing with such things, and not full-scale conversions. He's also left out 'glorious evolution' in these cases.

Ask the Herald

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Jyce View Post
Jayce was still listening in to Viktor's goals, closing his eyes as the picture of what Filter was speaking of started to emerge in his mind. Viktor had an amazing mind, and he was obviously a man ahead of his time. Just as Jayce was about to speak, the sound of the mug crashing into the wall shook him out of the trance, and he rose to his feet, slamming his hands on the table. He didn't know exactly what to say, but... He tried.

"Look, Vikky ol' pal. Yeah, I may have made Piltover view you as some petty villain... But I didn't want that. You, as an individual, has already made such large advances in Techmaturgy, and you're just a friggin' genius. Me? I'm just your average inventor, I couldn't possibly match up to you in smarts. I overcompensate. You make up for every flaw you have, that is just amazing. Piltover swaps that around, and it's definitely hard to change their minds about you. Come, follow me. I need to show you something."

Jayce shook his head a bit, before retreating back in to his workshop again. He gestured Viktor to follow him in to the lab
There was no way around it. The Defender's response had managed to appeal to what little humanity the Machine Herald retained, as he stared in genuine surprise and shock at his most heated rival, listening to the Piltovian inventor's words. It came to light that Jayce actually held some respect for Viktor's brilliance, at which he was completely taken aback. The augmented Zaunite had had no idea that this self-made pariah of Piltover, in reality, admired him and thought so lowly of himself.

Viktor was about to respond to the thin praise, when Jayce beckoned him to follow him into his workshop. The Herald was not one to let any opportunity pass him by without looking into the contents of such a thing, so he wasted no time in pursuing Jayce. It may have been a trap, a clever ruse in an attempt to trap and perhaps devastated Viktor, but still his curiosity drove him to comply with whatever the Defender was up to.
"Jayce, what is this about?"

makmix

01-26-2013

((since i'm awake 4 in the morning and i need someone to talk to..... I CHOOSE YOU JAYCE))

Mack writes to The Defender of Tomorrow

"Ah, Jayce it's nice to talk to a fellow Piltoverian. It has been a long time coming for a message from me. I must ask about your Mercury Cannon. I recently got into making Hextech weapons and what not. I just would like to know what materials you used for your cannon. I'd make a nice armor set for you if by happenstance you accept my humble request."

Signed
Mack von Lombardy, store owner of Mack's Store of Essentials

Great Aether

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Herald View Post
There was no way around it. The Defender's response had managed to appeal to what little humanity the Machine Herald retained, as he stared in genuine surprise and shock at his most heated rival, listening to the Piltovian inventor's words. It came to light that Jayce actually held some respect for Viktor's brilliance, at which he was completely taken aback. The augmented Zaunite had had no idea that this self-made pariah of Piltover, in reality, admired him and thought so lowly of himself.

Viktor was about to respond to the thin praise, when Jayce beckoned him to follow him into his workshop. The Herald was not one to let any opportunity pass him by without looking into the contents of such a thing, so he wasted no time in pursuing Jayce. It may have been a trap, a clever ruse in an attempt to trap and perhaps devastated Viktor, but still his curiosity drove him to comply with whatever the Defender was up to.
"Jayce, what is this about?"

Jayce knocked his gloved fist onto a rugged little pad on the side of his window. A small platform rose up from the center table, revealing the crystal energy... The one that Viktor had attempted to take, months ago... And here it was, for both the two great scientists to see.

"I've kept this last fragment since the say I ransacked your lab. It's not complete since I destroyed your prototype weapon... But it still harnesses a virtually infinite energy source. Seeing this really brings back memories..."

Jayce placed his hand on the platform, before slowly raising his hand up again. As his hand moved, the platform rose, until a familiar machine appeared, encased in a tube of glass.
It was the same weapon Jayce had destroyed.
It was the same weapon Viktor had made.

"I lied. I never really destroyed your machine, I made it look like I did. In reality, I merely captured it for examination...

Now here is why I'm showing you this. I want to work with you to finish what you started. After a thorough analysis, this weapon is a marvel, and really a piece of genius. In fact, this weapon could benefit all of Valoran! Not as a tool of war, but an equalizer.... However, that is just me. I do not know what you intended this machine to do. Will... You help me?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by makmix View Post
((since i'm awake 4 in the morning and i need someone to talk to..... I CHOOSE YOU JAYCE))

Mack writes to The Defender of Tomorrow

"Ah, Jayce it's nice to talk to a fellow Piltoverian. It has been a long time coming for a message from me. I must ask about your Mercury Cannon. I recently got into making Hextech weapons and what not. I just would like to know what materials you used for your cannon. I'd make a nice armor set for you if by happenstance you accept my humble request."

Signed
Mack von Lombardy, store owner of Mack's Store of Essentials
((Yay :3 ))

My hammer can be broken down into 4 parts: the outer shell, the mechanism, the ammunition barrel, and the handle...

The outer shell is a flexible, light, yet strong material, Orihalcum. Its color is already gold by default so I didn't have to bother with a paint job. I used a lot of power in the process of molding the shell, but the results in battle make it all worth that.

The mechanism is wired using normal conducting metals like tin, or iron. Normal, really, but my hex tech capacitor allows it to be used to its full potential.

The ammunition barrel is actually just a container, made from fine Thorium, and it contains a fragment of crystal energy, which is converted into small, compact shots. The shots are accelerated by an electric gate before they leave, so it can actually deal damage.

As for the handle... Heimy made it for me, I'm not sure what it's made from.

I would happily oblige your offer, but I think I have enough protection already, thank you.

makmix

01-26-2013

Mack sends one more letter.

"Thank you very much Defender of Tomorrow. And I do oblige you drop by the shop, it's a nice place to peruse and rest up in PIltover."